The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 May 2008, 09:09 AM   #91
GoldenBear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I've had my Rolex for almost 20 years. So, regardless what I am wearing, my watch speaks for me. Your wrist is usually the first to speak to them.
Breitling Emergency Mission

**They are just watches, wear 'em.**
Old 7 May 2008, 09:12 AM   #92
sphereman
"TRF" Member

if you look too young, it is very likely you will be treated as you are 'invisible'...

I am in my thirties but look a tad too young for my age.. so I tend to not visit any new AD in shorts or beach sandals :)

just my two cents.
Tudor: Blue Pelagos
sphereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 09:22 AM   #93
cococard
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
. I don't think I could take anyone who shops in a tux seriously.
Funniest line I've read on the forum to date.

I shop on weekends, and on weekends i wear dunks and jeans, Tshirt and what have you (now a days alot of sneakers and jeans are more expensive that dress clothing). If the salesman cant take the time to talk to me, I move on. Take heed of casually dressed customers, they usually spend the most and dont mess around.

I bought my S4 last year after a soccer game smelling like hell, the easiest sale ever for the guy, he took the time to talk to me.
cococard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 09:53 AM   #94
ticowa

Watch: GMT2C
I think it also depends on the location of the AD. In manhattan a little more dressy and Hawaii the least.

I"m usually wearing Gortex and sometimes all wet. I've alway been treated very well.

It really depend on each individual sales person.
ticowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 09:56 AM   #95
rob
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SS only
I was dressed like I just left the gym. T-shirt with holes, scrub pants and slip on's. Davison and Litch in Walnut Creek Ca. (snootsville, My house is there so I can speak from a Home owners perspective) treated me like a Rolex Regular. Raphael, Jeremiah, and Jon(the owner), all made the whole purchase a "Rolex experience". It was first class all the way. I never bought from them, I wanted to put a down payment on a GMT-C that hadn't even reached the bay area yet. I put 1k down in June and in Jul 07 I got it. They have the best service I've experienced hands down.

I've dressed up and have been mistreated, Dressed down and have received exceptional service. I designed my wife's "engagement band" at Joe Escobar (a Rolex AD) in Campbell Ca. dressed the same way and got the same exceptional service.

I'd have to say that the two Rolex AD's that I deal with have exceptional service no matter how your dressed. However that is in Northern Ca. We are a little on the laid back side out here. I know in Ok and Tx the ladies wear high heels with shorts, and the guy's wear dress shoes with there short's. So if I were out there I might dress different.
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 10:33 AM   #96
buz-lh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Pam
"I know in Ok and Tx the ladies wear high heels with shorts, and the guy's wear dress shoes with there short's."

That would be cowboy boots with the shorts. And, it's a damn good look.

buz-lh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 10:35 AM   #97
moldowan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbakar View Post
If you start blabbing about SS Daytonas and Basel '08 and the prices of DRSD's, they take you seriously very quickly!

SNB
interesting,
whenever i satrt talking tech, usually with the knobs at "Tourneau" (the sales people) look at me and have a blank stare like a deer in head lights about to be smacked-LOL
of course these are the same people that tell you a rolex will hold it's value and price 20 year old rolexes within $500 of a new one- laughable
moldowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 10:43 AM   #98
Mrdi
Banned

Depends what's on your wrist
Walk in with a SS Daytona on your wrist and the place is yours
I always wear shorts sandals and a polo shirt
Vintage Rolex are also service magnetic
Explorer,...no clout.
Mrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 10:49 AM   #99
rob
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SS only
Quote:
Originally Posted by buz-lh View Post
"I know in Ok and Tx the ladies wear high heels with shorts, and the guy's wear dress shoes with there short's."

That would be cowboy boots with the shorts. And, it's a damn good look.
wow, haven't seen that one!
rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 10:56 AM   #100
unclesallie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: keystone pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felly Jr. View Post
The first time I bought a Rolex I went into the store with camo shorts and a T-shirt. I got top notch service, and got put at the top of the list for a SS DT and GV Milly. I'm not there to impress anyone, and if they don't like the way I dress, screw em', I'll go somewhere else.
exactly.
best,
dan
unclesallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 11:41 AM   #101
Rolex_07
"TRF" Member

Okay, let me as a new question here.

Many here have said that they would go into an AD with a Tee Shirt and shorts, but you certianly wouldn't dress that way if you were an employee. I guarantee if you worked at an AD, you would have a suit.

The point that I'm trying to make is that looks/apperance do matter. But I suppose it depends which side of the counter you're on. Am I correct in assuming this?
Rolex_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 11:59 AM   #102
Magik

Watch: Sub-Date & GMT ll
I'm pretty much a casual dresser unless I go somewhere right after work. I think the watch ADs pay more attention to the watch you're wearing rather than the clothes you're wearing to determine your style and price range.
Magik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 12:53 PM   #103
JohnEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red1680 metres 1st
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrdi View Post
Depends what's on your wrist
Walk in with a SS Daytona on your wrist and the place is yours
I always wear shorts sandals and a polo shirt
Vintage Rolex are also service magnetic
Explorer,...no clout.
AGREED...

Old motorcycle tee shirt, Carhartts, Romeo slippers and an 116520, you WILL get service...
Old 7 May 2008, 01:48 PM   #104
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Yes, but did you flex the bicep?
No, but I flashed my Timex indiglo at 'em. Surely would've wowed them with that, except that the glo had quit working.
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 02:05 PM   #105
hienpham04
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex President
I'm in fashion ripped jeans and a T-shirt all the times. Well, the AD always give me the best treatment and sometimes even free stuff. Most of the time, I wear my sport Rolex watch. Not sure if that makes the difference.
hienpham04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 02:06 PM   #106
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
For me, I am always buying on my day off so it is nothing but Levis, t-shirt, Nike running shoes, and a jacket if it is cool outdoors. I like to dress easy on my day off.
Old 7 May 2008, 09:48 PM   #107
sherwin
"TRF" Member

AD in both Perth and S'pore give me excellent service. I guess they look and gauge a person by the way they talk and what they have on their wrist.
Old 7 May 2008, 10:37 PM   #108
ROLEX MAN
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: you? "YES PLEASE"!
shorts and flip flops if I've got the money!!

it's not just about telling the time...

happy rolexing...

I'm just a man with a passion
ROLEX MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 11:35 PM   #109
marcham
"TRF" Member

I went to my local AD with a T-shirt & short, that day my SS Daytona was on my wrist.
They spotted it the secound I walked in & VIP treatment all the way....mind you I spent another $12000at the AD that day.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2008, 11:58 PM   #110
Oscar
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS GMTIIC
I would consider going into my AD dressed in JJ's Borat 'thong' swimsuit. I wouldn't know where I'd stick my wallet though until I needed it. Then I'd pull it out (my wallet I mean) and just place the real deal on the counter.

It should not even matter if you hard a third eye in the middle of your forehead, cash speak all languages.

Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2008, 01:25 AM   #111
puffnmo

Something important being overlooked here. The first thing most people look at is not your clothing but your face. You can tell a lot about a person from their facial expression coupled with their posture.

The clothing is the next thing they notice. Let's be realistic here. If you present yourself as a slob you get treated like a slob.

I really doubt that we have any genuine slobs here on the forum, they usually don't wear Rolex's. But here's my thought - it's just as easy to look clean and presentable as it is not to. For that reason I want to look neat and well groomed, even if I'm working out or just knocking around. It just feels better.

Cheers, Larry.
puffnmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2008, 09:58 AM   #112
iahsatcs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac67 View Post
I think looks are very impotant, that's why I ALWAYS look smart when I go to my local AD.

John.

Hey PAP, Another kindred spirit from f-chat. That picture definitely makes the rounds.
iahsatcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2008, 10:06 AM   #113
oneillba
"TRF" Member

Watch: My beloved TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_07 View Post
Okay, let me as a new question here.

Many here have said that they would go into an AD with a Tee Shirt and shorts, but you certianly wouldn't dress that way if you were an employee. I guarantee if you worked at an AD, you would have a suit.

The point that I'm trying to make is that looks/apperance do matter. But I suppose it depends which side of the counter you're on. Am I correct in assuming this?
Agree, I'd be wearing a suit if I was a sales person at an AD. BTW, I would want to buy a Rolex from someone in a suit at the AD's as well. Great point, counter point.

My Trusty TT DJ
oneillba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2008, 01:34 PM   #114
kshooter3466

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Shorts and a T shirt. Perhaps a few days stubble, but that's hit or miss.
I could care less what I look like. If they don't want to play ball I head to a different ballpark.

But these days my regular jewelers eyes light up when I breeze through the door.
kshooter3466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2008, 02:32 PM   #115
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Watch: your P's and Q's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Bought mine in jeans, tee shirt and sandals. With stroller and 4 year old in tow.
Sage advice... always shop Rolex w/an infant and 4 yr. old in tow. I'm sure you pulled it off with grace and panache Lisa.

Rolex GMT Master II 16710 (Blk/Blk)
Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Incurable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2008, 02:40 PM   #116
Lisa
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incurable View Post
Sage advice... always shop Rolex w/an infant and 4 yr. old in tow. I'm sure you pulled it off with grace and panache Lisa.
To be honest, I think I was so distracted that's why I didn't notice right away how hard to read the dial was. I just kind of grabbed the box, wrote the check and beat it out of there before the kids broke something. I recall June was doing bunny-hops inches from the Lalique crystal display....
Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2008, 03:28 PM   #117
Incurable
"TRF" Member

I hear you... I've never cared for the 'laser' dials, or concentric ones either. Just a bit too busy and distracting. My eyes aren't what they used to be so bigger, clearer is better.

As for dress, getting all primped up may be counterproductive to getting a good deal, IMO. I usually just engage the salesperson in a honest, non-manipulative conversation and try and talk to them as I would my best friend... casual and honest. I've never been disappointed by the treatment or discount offered yet.

Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

It may seem like I'm doing nothing but, at a cellular level, I'm actually quite busy...
Old 8 May 2008, 03:30 PM   #118
fly-dad
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex_07 View Post
I'm just curious with the relationship with how people dress, and the customer service that you recieve in return.

Please note: Rolex is OUTSTANDING, EXCELLENT, and goes way above the call of duty as far as customer service goes.

However, have you ever noticed that if you're wearing a suit/tux, you are treated better than if you walk in with just a tee shirt and jeans?

Without getting too personal here, what type of outfit do you wear when going to an AD? And how were you treated?
I have found that it doesn't really matter what you are wearing except on your wrist. If you go in wearing nothing on your wrist it is better than rolling in there with a casio or gshock.
fly-dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2008, 03:34 PM   #119
Incurable
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
To be honest, I think I was so distracted that's why I didn't notice right away how hard to read the dial was. I just kind of grabbed the box, wrote the check and beat it out of there before the kids broke something. I recall June was doing bunny-hops inches from the Lalique crystal display....
Yep, I can see it now...

Rolex Explorer 114270
Sinn 356 Sa Flieger
Limes Endurance 1Tausend
Too many others...

Old 8 May 2008, 04:24 PM   #120
richc1958
Banned

shorts t-shirt and flip flops...if they wont serve me I will go else where.......
richc1958 is offline   Reply With Quote