The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 November 2014, 10:16 PM   #1
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
Strap change questions....

Hello all here at TRF! While browsing the forums this weekend I paid particular attention to straps that are on the watches. It was so exciting to see how a different strap can give an entirely new look to a watch. So, this got me thinking about a few strap-related questions I would like to pose to all of you:

1). Do you change your straps yourself or take it somewhere to have it done? I have the tool to make the change myself, but am so worried that I will inadvertently cause damage due to my lack of experience and skill. But at the same time I feel a little odd taking it to a shop to have it done knowing that I didn't purchase the watch there.

2). I notice in some of the photos the strap doesn't seem to be the right size (i.e. Too narrow for the lug width of the watch). Are there any potential issues with this other than cosmetic?

3). How often do you change your straps? It seems like it would be easy to become a little OCD with this and develop a habit of constantly changing the band?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply!
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 03:21 AM   #2
el1125
Banned

I will only have strap changed by a Patek AD. They are properly trained in this and would not risk giving it to somebody else.
el1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 09:15 AM   #3
autohorology
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I change the straps myself. Many references have quick release straps. Simply hold the pin down and remove the strap. My issue is getting the straps to begin with! I have a small wrist and the short straps are never available when I want one, then they claim up to a 4 month wait just to get it!
autohorology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 10:33 AM   #4
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by autohorology View Post
I change the straps myself. Many references have quick release straps. Simply hold the pin down and remove the strap. My issue is getting the straps to begin with! I have a small wrist and the short straps are never available when I want one, then they claim up to a 4 month wait just to get it!
Damn 4 months for a strap???? dave , I have small wrists too, for my Daytona I had to order them at an AD, got 2 gators, black and brown, 1 in 2 days and the other in 5, not the same story....
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 11:14 AM   #5
gunrnnr
"TRF" Member

Brian,

You pose a few good questions. First, I would say let an AD who has a trained watchmaker on staff change the strap if possible. I have found that while indeed salespeople at Patek ADs are supposed to be trained, they can still scratch up your prized PP if they rush or even worse use the improper tools to do it. As autohorology pointed out, most PPs since 2007ish have "quick detach" spring bars which are relatively easy to do your self. Then all you'll need a small screwdriver to change out the clasp. If you're watch was not originally equipped with these, you can order them from Patek (or your AD) and then in the future it will be easier to change the straps out. I did this on my 5970G and prefer them to the previous generation spring bars.

Good luck my friend!
gunrnnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Vipes
"TRF" Member

I change my own straps. Once you get the hang of it with a spring bar tool then it's a breeze. Practice on an older watch till you get used to it then you can change your own Patek straps
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 12:24 AM   #7
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
It depends on the watch, I wouldn't on my 5712R but it's a piece of cake on my 5205R

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2014, 01:13 AM   #8
Time Exposure
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980/1A
I would urge anyone who changes straps to use a masking tape on the lugs for protection. Here is what I use, purchased from Otto Frei (ofrei.com):

The spring bar or the tool could scratch the lug, which creates one of two problems: 1) a scratched lug upsets a potential buyer; and 2) a polished lug upsets the integrity of the watch, as it cannot be presented as "unpolished," and there is a risk of altering the original lines.
Yes I learned this the hard way on a watch I hadn't planned on selling. And for the record, I would rather do my own strap change carefully now that I know to use the protective tape EVERY TIME.
Time Exposure is offline   Reply With Quote