The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2019, 02:16 PM   #121
JayG
"TRF" Member

Watch: FP Journe CB/ 5711
Grey market prices are simply a reflection of supply and demand. Thats it.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 02:18 PM   #122
jonnyz1245
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownprince View Post
there are many secondary market makers who are way bigger than him. :-)
Many? Define way bigger? Do you know how many watches DSW sells a month? a year? Do you know how many these way bigger players sell? Do you know this for a fact? Who are these way bigger market makers?? Not saying you're wrong, just curious. I follow several business markets fairly closely, watches being one of them and I know more than a few people in the business.

FYI I have never done business with David but have met him and hung out with him on more than one occasion. Great guy and I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him.
jonnyz1245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 02:24 PM   #123
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

The reason guys like DavidSW can ask such prices is because he only needs one buyer for that watch and his market territory is basically anyone on the planet with a browser. So there is pretty much always someone willing and able to pay. At least for now. At some point, who knows when, the bubble will burst. Look at the real estate market in Australia. One estimate is that 40% of all homeowners are in negative equity.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 02:27 PM   #124
Rosie39j
"TRF" Member

David’s A good guy. Have done several deals with him. Including when I sold him my blnr for $8500 last year. Ouch...
Rosie39j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 02:30 PM   #125
scombs263
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex SD43
I sold DavidSW my Panerai several months ago. Very upstanding and all around good guy. I would buy or sell with him w/o hesitation.
scombs263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 03:00 PM   #126
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
Many? Define way bigger? Do you know how many watches DSW sells a month? a year? Do you know how many these way bigger players sell? Do you know this for a fact? Who are these way bigger market makers?? Not saying you're wrong, just curious. I follow several business markets fairly closely, watches being one of them and I know more than a few people in the business.
Jomashop
Govberg
Bob's Watches
Chrono24 - although more of a marketplace, e.g. Ebay
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 03:23 PM   #127
smokin3000gt
"TRF" Member

I haven't been on here in a few years and feel like I've missed something. Are grey's charging MSRP or higher for new watches now? If so why not buy from AD?
smokin3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 03:40 PM   #128
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
I haven't been on here in a few years and feel like I've missed something. Are grey's charging MSRP or higher for new watches now? If so why not buy from AD?

You’ve been out the game. There are NO steel sports rolex watches at ADs. Practically none. Only from greys and for certain models prices are almost double. Welcome to 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 03:49 PM   #129
Reinhard in SA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
In the year 2017 AD, they hit us from all sides. Nobody expected it and no one saw it coming, let alone expect it on a global scale.

Supply dried up. A few lucky ones snatched up the remaining few SS sport watches and then.....there was none. Unsuspecting citizens went to AD's asking and eventually begging for Submariners or just the possibility of the chance to buy a Submariner. For some the hope was not enough, they tried to appease their AD's with lavish gifts or buy buying expensive jewelry just to be considered for a stainless steel watch. How the dynamic had shifted.

Requests for discount were scoffed at and dismissed. Gypsy watch collectors would travel not only from the city to city, but state to state and even country to country looking for submariners and GMT masters. Some of these wandering nomads had good fortune while others eventually broke down and bought Datejusts, or in more severe cases turned to cannibalism and Omega.

This is the world we now live in. The financial markets are manipulated by demigods with names like "Batman" and "Hulk". Where once wars were fought over silver, gold and precious stones, it is now fought over stainless steel. Those with immeasurable wealth turn to the illicit grey market, where anything your heart desires can be had, but at a price...This is 2019AD.
Reinhard in SA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 04:02 PM   #130
Caynuck
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard in SA View Post
In the year 2017 AD, they hit us from all sides. Nobody expected it and no one saw it coming, let alone expect it on a global scale.

Supply dried up. A few lucky ones snatched up the remaining few SS sport watches and then.....there was none. Unsuspecting citizens went to AD's asking and eventually begging for Submariners or just the possibility of the chance to buy a Submariner. For some the hope was not enough, they tried to appease their AD's with lavish gifts or buy buying expensive jewelry just to be considered for a stainless steel watch. How the dynamic had shifted.

Requests for discount were scoffed at and dismissed. Gypsy watch collectors would travel not only from the city to city, but state to state and even country to country looking for submariners and GMT masters. Some of these wandering nomads had good fortune while others eventually broke down and bought Datejusts, or in more severe cases turned to cannibalism and Omega.

This is the world we now live in. The financial markets are manipulated by demigods with names like "Batman" and "Hulk". Where once wars were fought over silver, gold and precious stones, it is now fought over stainless steel. Those with immeasurable wealth turn to the illicit grey market, where anything your heart desires can be had, but at a price...This is 2019AD.
Sounds like The Terminator and Skynet
Caynuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 04:11 PM   #131
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
There's a sucker born every minute... 15k for a GMT stainless Rolex..
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 04:12 PM   #132
RL777
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Man View Post
The reason guys like DavidSW can ask such prices is because he only needs one buyer for that watch and his market territory is basically anyone on the planet with a browser. So there is pretty much always someone willing and able to pay. At least for now. At some point, who knows when, the bubble will burst. Look at the real estate market in Australia. One estimate is that 40% of all homeowners are in negative equity.
Couldn't have said it better.
RL777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 04:19 PM   #133
smokin3000gt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
You’ve been out the game. There are NO steel sports rolex watches at ADs. Practically none. Only from greys and for certain models prices are almost double. Welcome to 2019.

Thanks for filling me in. Is WG still reasonably priced via gray or are they shooting up as well?
smokin3000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 04:19 PM   #134
socalwatchcollector
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pateks Plural
Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post

There are no steel watches at AD's. I really hope you don't believe that.. That depends on who you are if they are there or not.
socalwatchcollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 04:53 PM   #135
HappyFish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwatchcollector View Post

....a while ago you got the nicest Flat 4 or Daytonas, or 1675 for "nothing" - now you could sell them for far more the double - so who is the sucker?!

Scroll the archive and you find this kind of warners since over 10 years - and they were all wrong - they got sucked and i hope no one of themes ever bought a watch for what they thought is overpriced.

Same with Apple or Tesla and many more - warners are just the dummies who sold their shares for a fraction of what its worth today!

I call this guys just LOSERS!
HappyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 05:00 PM   #136
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
There are no steel watches at AD's. I really hope you don't believe that.. That depends on who you are if they are there or not.

Actually I said steel “sports” but I guess if you consider the random Milgauss then sure but to me, that’s not enough to qualify.

blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 05:14 PM   #137
bronzeband00
Banned

Rolex and the readily available buyers graced him the opportunity for his sales and purchases. there will be no scarcity, raising prices if Rolex don't hold back deliveries. Without interested buyers, no sales which is then bad for us all.
bronzeband00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 05:28 PM   #138
ADR1982
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Haha this sounds like the narrative for a post apocalyptic movie
ADR1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 05:46 PM   #139
emtee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Brilliant
emtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 06:34 PM   #140
jaydav2306
"TRF" Member

Why are we all still talking about a shortage? There is NO shortage Rolex is a mass produced product and they are making more watches than ever, watches are going straight to greys its been talked about to death, wish people would stop this myth about a shortage
jaydav2306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 06:47 PM   #141
daytonastl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb335 View Post
It's preowned with warranty card dated from 2017. Not a crazy jump in price to what he had before Basel. I believe he would have had this listed around 13.5k pre-Basel.....sound right?
Yes. That’s what it was.
daytonastl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 09:46 PM   #142
Lou wants a Rolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 36
I was in their shop. I spoke to them face to face. They have class. If I were to go grey I would highly consider them.
Lou wants a Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 10:12 PM   #143
NYCWATCHCREW
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Hulk
Quote:

Amazing...
NYCWATCHCREW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 10:42 PM   #144
fania123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
this
fania123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 10:45 PM   #145
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
Why are we all still talking about a shortage? There is NO shortage Rolex is a mass produced product and they are making more watches than ever, watches are going straight to greys its been talked about to death, wish people would stop this myth about a shortage
Some need to continue the narrative and faux anger about a non-issue.

The angst over high end luxury jewelry is entertaining through
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 10:51 PM   #146
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydav2306 View Post
THIS and new / more so called 'investors' in the market trying to use watches to fund their kids' college savings accounts, 401k, etc...
Reminds me of the Lego market from 2012 to 2016 to an extent.

I'm friendly with an AD. She tells me it's a combo of things. More prospective buyers who only want SS Prof models compared to 3+ years ago, Rolex not shipping enough watches people want, more watches going to other countries, etc... All the while, I wonder if all if that is true, how the heck are the grays getting so many AD recently sold Subs, GMTs, Daytonas, etc... Gotta be a combo of flippers and AD themselves. Oh well. Out of my control.

DavidSW is a great reseller. Excellent customer service. The company is just doing the same as the other grays but in a more customer centric way.

Comes down to Supply vs Demand.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 10:53 PM   #147
Headshrinker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date
I purchased my BLNR from David SW when the generation one model came out. At that time, I received a rather nice discount from retail. Watches appear to be much more difficult to find these days, especially the SS models, so I am not surprised by this trend.
Headshrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 11:10 PM   #148
Terrakot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex LVc/BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR1982 View Post
Haha this sounds like the narrative for a post apocalyptic movie
My name is Robert Neville. I am a Rolex collector living in New York City. I am broadcasting on all AM frequencies. I will be at the South Street Seaport everyday at mid-day, when the sun is highest in the sky. If you are out there... if anyone is out there...desperatley looking for SS Rolex, no matter Submariner or GMT.. I can let you to try my Rolex on. You are not alone.

"The best things in life aren't things"
Terrakot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 11:13 PM   #149
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smym18 View Post
I've been reading that this bubble will burst since Summer 2017, yet it only seems to be getting worse. Make it stop!
Well, looks like the Fed will continue spiking the financial punch bowl so expect it to continue. Next is rate cut(s) to keep this baby inflated, and QE perhaps if that proves fruitless if USD gains in value (no currency can gain in value, the math / their system can't handle it so must always devalue @ target of 2% annually).

That's why the truly wealthy buy things of intrinsic value, because currency always becomes worthless (worth less). And that brings us to Rolex pricing...

PS: Add another to David SW. Been enjoying fine mechanical timepieces for decades and things are the craziest i've ever seen them (moreso than 2006/2008).

PPS: It is not just Rolex, housing, etc are inflated yet their banking system can't handle 'reality' due to always needing their bubble inflated.

Causality
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2019, 11:37 PM   #150
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I have bought half a dozen or more watches from DSW including my BLNR 4-5 years ago. Solid guy, easy and clear transaction. Happy to bought all before the current situation which IMHO is all because lack of supply. If you could walk into a AD and buy a SS sport watch DSW and others would not be selling at a premium. He is a good barometer of pricing because we can and do follow closely. When I see the Rolex prices I stay away, but have picked up a few Panerai that were at a great price, even relative to their situation in the market.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote