The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 24 July 2010, 02:52 AM   #31
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
most of the time a home safe is just asking for trouble and a convenient centralized place to house all your valuables so the thief can make an easy hit.
also, ANY kind of home safe is hazardous unless EVERYONE in the home is able to unlock and open it under duress. i would hate to think that while we are away for the weekend an armed robber is pointing a gun at remaining family members demanding they open a safe that they dont have the combination for...
my opinion is better to devise and construct a decent hiding compartment in an area of the house (not master bedroom) that can fit a small waterproof pouch of valuables you like to keep in the house, and have a bank safety box for the rest.

fred
x2

Better off in a sock draw
Old 24 July 2010, 02:57 AM   #32
Idle Swede
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakuraba View Post
Very true. Didn't this thing happen to a member and his Daytona? Was it Leo, or maybe Tristan?
Won't happen in my house.......my attack cat would see to that.
Idle Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 03:47 AM   #33
Zed Homme
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I have a 1.3 cubic foot First Alert one-hour-fireproof combination safe in which I keep valuables. (As I recall, it was around $300.) A pro could quickly pick the lock, and a couple of strong petty thieves could walk away with it, but it does prevent someone from rummaging through drawers and stealing a watch, passport, gun or ring. We frequently have many guests in the house as well as a regular cleaning person, and I don't have to worry about something "walking away" from the house.
Agreed, but this philosophy creates a catch 22. No "petty thief" will waste their time trying to get into your safe, especially if they can make off with your PC, TV, etc etc. However by placing your valuables in a safe, youre announcing to all where your valuables are... As I mentioned earlier, I have several safes in one of my homes including a decoy like Bassethounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice&fred View Post
actually i was speaking with the USA in mind. here in the philippines bank safety deposit boxes are plentiful and very economical so no need for us to keep watches at home unless we are wearing them on our wrist. we are also spoiled, as crime rates are rather low here, and practically every private gated community here has armed guards patrolling

fred

cebu city
Bank deposit boxes are a PITA as they are not always accessible. I also dont want to run back and forth to the bank whenever I get changed. It does make sense though if you have a large collection (over 50 watches). The US is a very safe country (not quite like Western Europe) but home invasions as you describe them are extremely rare, and tend to happen in "certain" parts of town. Maybe its Hollywood's fault plus the media's coverage of our wild west gun culture....

I guess I will ask here as this thread is appropriate. My SO and I will be moving to a southern city (in the US) for her job. I need to keep my NYC place for my job, but do intend to spend time with her down there. We will most likely rent a furnished house as apts are scarce and in the bad part of town. I need a little safe for our valuables, but if someone does break in, I need to be sure they cant walk out with it. I guess hiding it is the best solution but could really use some insight on this...
Zed Homme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 04:12 AM   #34
2th Dr
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed Homme View Post
Agreed, but this philosophy creates a catch 22. No "petty thief" will waste their time trying to get into your safe, especially if they can make off with your PC, TV, etc etc. However by placing your valuables in a safe, youre announcing to all where your valuables are... As I mentioned earlier, I have several safes in one of my homes including a decoy like Bassethounds.

Bank deposit boxes are a PITA as they are not always accessible. I also dont want to run back and forth to the bank whenever I get changed. It does make sense though if you have a large collection (over 50 watches). The US is a very safe country (not quite like Western Europe) but home invasions as you describe them are extremely rare, and tend to happen in "certain" parts of town. Maybe its Hollywood's fault plus the media's coverage of our wild west gun culture....

I guess I will ask here as this thread is appropriate. My SO and I will be moving to a southern city (in the US) for her job. I need to keep my NYC place for my job, but do intend to spend time with her down there. We will most likely rent a furnished house as apts are scarce and in the bad part of town. I need a little safe for our valuables, but if someone does break in, I need to be sure they cant walk out with it. I guess hiding it is the best solution but could really use some insight on this...
I'm in a similar situation... Home and house is in Houston, but work in Fort Worth and have an apartment in Grand Prairie. I have my safe in the apartment, hidden, and bolted down to the floor. Yeah, I'll probably lose my deposit for drilling holes in the floor, but better that than lose my valuables.
2th Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 02:24 PM   #35
theloxmyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoopJr View Post
It was Tristan.

How do you guys bolt to a floor? Drill into concrete and set the bolts or screw it down to a wooden floor?
You are correct!

I've anchored many safes to concrete floors using the drill and expanding-anchor method.

Lag bolts would be used for wooden floors, upstairs closets for example, but have I never anchored any to a wooden floor as there has always been a concrete floor at the install site, basements and commercial sites.
theloxmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 02:52 PM   #36
Sose
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc
lox, next time you are in DC call me. I'd hire you to install one for me! :)
Sose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 03:05 PM   #37
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I have a 1.3 cubic foot First Alert one-hour-fireproof combination safe in which I keep valuables. (As I recall, it was around $300.) A pro could quickly pick the lock, and a couple of strong petty thieves could walk away with it, but it does prevent someone from rummaging through drawers and stealing a watch, passport, gun or ring. We frequently have many guests in the house as well as a regular cleaning person, and I don't have to worry about something "walking away" from the house.
I have one of these in a closet, but I normally spread my valuables out in hiding spots around the house. Old timers around here will remember the story about how I once hid my watch collection in the snake tank and I came home to find my Daytona covered in decomposed rat goo. I got tired of this method though, so I just bought a Liberty safe the size of a refrigerator yesterday.
Old 24 July 2010, 04:17 PM   #38
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle Swede View Post
Won't happen in my house.......my attack cat would see to that.
I've seen pics of how ferocious your kitten is, Leo.
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2010, 05:07 PM   #39
compworld
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I have a large 900LBS Sentry safe for my valuables, few guns, etc. Not really worried about a Home Invasion. Alarm is always on. Have a outside camera on every door and a Glock in my dresser draw. If anyone was stupid enough to break in, cops would be here within 2 minutes to take out the bullet ridden dead caracas.
compworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2010, 01:09 AM   #40
Captainz
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Cannon Safe EX20
Fire Security Safe
Includes Power Box and Electronic Lock
$579.99 Delivered
After $200 OFF
Valid 7/9/10 - 8/8/10

Excellent Deal from COSTCO.COM--->Even includes delivery.

Al
Old 25 July 2010, 03:05 AM   #41
Subfiend
"TRF" Member

Watch: Isn't it obvious?
Quote:
Originally Posted by compworld View Post
I have a large 900LBS Sentry safe for my valuables, few guns, etc. Not really worried about a Home Invasion. Alarm is always on. Have a outside camera on every door and a Glock in my dresser draw. If anyone was stupid enough to break in, cops would be here within 2 minutes to take out the bullet ridden dead caracas.
I also own things you can't talk about here, which are strategically placed and set up for any situation, but my biggest concern is the silent midday home invasion when I am on vacation or at work. Hence the refrigerator sized safe. That is not easy to crack or conceal from the neighbors.

Our cars were robbed in the driveway in February. We lost $1,800 in property in less than 60 seconds, right under our bedroom window. That was an expensive lesson: a quick, safe hit to a soft target is more likely than a violent confrontation in the home. My concern is that the thieves, liking what they found on the outside, will return for a taste of what's on the inside when the cars are NOT in the driveway.
Old 25 July 2010, 05:01 AM   #42
compworld
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subfiend View Post
I also own things you can't talk about here, which are strategically placed and set up for any situation, but my biggest concern is the silent midday home invasion when I am on vacation or at work. Hence the refrigerator sized safe. That is not easy to crack or conceal from the neighbors.

Our cars were robbed in the driveway in February. We lost $1,800 in property in less than 60 seconds, right under our bedroom window. That was an expensive lesson: a quick, safe hit to a soft target is more likely than a violent confrontation in the home. My concern is that the thieves, liking what they found on the outside, will return for a taste of what's on the inside when the cars are NOT in the driveway.
Shouldn't leave anything outside. I have a couple cars and they are always in the garage. A Yukon and a M6. Both are always in the garage. I have cameras around the door ways, and the house is lit up at night. Plus, while the neighbors know what the cars are, they have also seen me walk around my prop. with a hunting rifle and a side arm holstered at different times. Adding all this together, plus the alarm always on, even an idiot would go to an easier target. Here, you are just asking for trouble. Plus, we are a very gun friendly community. Very low crime rate.
compworld is offline   Reply With Quote