The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 October 2020, 02:14 PM   #1
raminradmand
"TRF" Member

Icon20 Which Rolex to buy?

Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum looking to learn more about these watches.
I've always admired Rolex watches since I was 12-13 years old, and now I'm 20.

I've been working hard and saving a lot to finally get my very own first Rolex!

I'm looking at getting the DayJust Oyster, 31, Oystersteel and white gold, with the white Roman Numerals face. The price on the Rolex website is sitting at $9,400 CAD which I'm totally fine with since its exactly what I want.

But just cause I don't want to be irresponsible with my money and think about the future too since it's a relatively big purchase for me I was hoping I could get some guidance from everyone here.

1. Are DateJusts a good purchase for a first rolex?
2. Do they tend to keep their value, or maybe even go up?
3. Should I buy brand new or used?
4. Maybe a different model that keeps its value over the years?
5. Do these watches tend to sell easy if I ever decide to do that? (partially looking as an investment)
6. And just any other advice you would have for a 20 year old buying his first Rolex.

Thank you so much in advance! Can't wait to hear what everyone has to say
raminradmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 02:27 PM   #2
peterpl
Banned

First off its good that your 20 and you have saved up enough for a nice watch. To be brutally honest with you I think your using your money in an area that will not help you in the future.

Secondly the 31mm DJ is not going to increase in value over time. I'm sorry its just not.

Third, dont buy a watch. Save some more and invest in real estate. I bought my first house when I was 21 and now I'm 35. That house was purchased with borrowed money from the bank with only about $20k deposit and the rest was leveraged and bought for $221k. Today its value is around $800k and the rent is paying itself off principal and interest. In another 5 years it will be full paid off by itself.

That is the power of what can be achieved when you start young. Multiply that by 10-15 houses your laughing all the way to the bank and THEN you can buy any damn Rolex/AP/Patek/Richard Mille you want
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 02:41 PM   #3
Sandpit
"TRF" Member

If you have to think so much about resale value I don't think you're ready.

In my opinion the only way to treat money for luxury purchases is to consider the money spent / lost / gone.

If you want to invest, then invest properly. Not in arm jewelry. That said, its your money.
Sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 02:43 PM   #4
teck21
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay 58
Which Rolex to buy?

I’m on the other side of the fence. You should buy it because you have worked and saved hard for it.

Enjoy it very much and remember it is the start of what you want to achieve.

I’m going out on a limb and suggest that going forward, all ‘cheap’ (or affordable) Rolexes are going to hold value well as long as Rolex keeps a tight lid on production numbers.

Holding value well is relative of course and I too do not suggest approaching it with an eye on investment.

Most people who have made money from Rolex watches in recent years have been lucky. Never mistake luck for skill.

Over the course of your productive life, this amount of money is a mere fraction of a fraction if you succeed. If.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
teck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 02:52 PM   #5
007timer
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpl View Post
First off its good that your 20 and you have saved up enough for a nice watch. To be brutally honest with you I think your using your money in an area that will not help you in the future.

Secondly the 31mm DJ is not going to increase in value over time. I'm sorry its just not.

Third, dont buy a watch. Save some more and invest in real estate. I bought my first house when I was 21 and now I'm 35. That house was purchased with borrowed money from the bank with only about $20k deposit and the rest was leveraged and bought for $221k. Today its value is around $800k and the rent is paying itself off principal and interest. In another 5 years it will be full paid off by itself.

That is the power of what can be achieved when you start young. Multiply that by 10-15 houses your laughing all the way to the bank and THEN you can buy any damn Rolex/AP/Patek/Richard Mille you want

Agree with our friend here. I bought my first house at 18 and have not looked back since.

If you feel that you can buy a home as an investment and still swing a Rolex. Go for it. I too splurged a little when I was 20 and still do.

The 31 MM has a very special and limited target market. Therefore when you go to sell it, you will not be making money. That’s not the watch to do it with. But again, who cares if you are planning on wearing it forever. Final resale value should not matter at that point.

There is a certain amount of joy you will get from owning a watch (any watch) that can’t be quantified by resale value, even if it’s $100 at the end, you would have gotten $15,000 worth of joy out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
007timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 02:57 PM   #6
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
(iv) THIS IS A ROLEX WATCH DISCUSSION FORUM AND NOT A PRICE OR INVESTMENT OR DISCOUNT DISCUSSION FORUM SO IF YOU HAVE A QUERY REGARDING PRICES, INVESTMENTS OR DISCOUNTS THEN MAKE YOUR OWN PERSONAL ENQUIRIES AND INVESTIGATIONS AND DO NOT POST THOSE ISSUES HERE.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:13 PM   #7
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Are you male or female? If a 20 year old male I would definitely not buy 31mm Rolex. 36mm as a minimum.

I tend to agree with the comments that its not the smartest use of funds but then again, you are young.....I spent all my money on beer when I was 20.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 04:56 PM   #8
Vivalas
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Too many of your questions are about values in watches, not the actual watches. You’re not ready to buy.
Vivalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:13 PM   #9
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

I bought my first Rolex at age 27 in 1987 when no one thought about whether the value would rise or not.

Back then, I bought because I had admired the brand and yearned for one from a young age.

Even now, I don't consider resale value when buying - see for example, my avatar which is the YM 2.

This is not an inexpensive watch but is one which is relatively unpopular and therefore not likely to increase in value.

Despite this, I bought it and absolutely love it and couldn't care less about its resale.

Hope this helps and welcome to TRF!
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 06:58 PM   #10
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raminradmand View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at getting the DayJust Oyster, 31, Oystersteel and white gold, with the white Roman Numerals face. The price on the Rolex website is sitting at $9,400 CAD which I'm totally fine with since its exactly what I want.

But just cause I don't want to be irresponsible with my money and think about the future too since it's a relatively big purchase for me I was hoping I could get some guidance from everyone here.

5. Do these watches tend to sell easy if I ever decide to do that? (partially looking as an investment)
6. And just any other advice you would have for a 20 year old buying his first Rolex.

Simple answer buy the watch you want to own and wear irrespective of perceived value or investment stuff.Its a watch bought to wear and enjoy for many years in good health now thats far more important.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 07:57 PM   #11
DYJ150
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Like most others providing very important advise, I was 19 when I bought my first house in the UK. I kept it 8 years in total (4 living in it and 4 renting it out). I sold it 2 years ago and pockets almost £40K. That was enough for a bigger deposit on a bigger house and some change (for a watch or two).

You have asked for advise/the truth so here is mine:

1) DO NOT buy a DJ Rolex for an investment. They are not. Even SS sport versions in my view will one day flatten.
2) save up more and buy a house
3) Your buying a watch for the wrong reasons

All this stuff is pretty hard to listen too when you have perhaps already set your heart on a watch but seriously at such a young age, there is a high chance you will instantly regret buying it.

Good luck with your choice,
DYJ150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 08:14 PM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Simple answer buy the watch you want to own and wear irrespective of perceived value or investment stuff.Its a watch bought to wear and enjoy for many years in good health now thats far more important.
Exactly this ^^^
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 08:14 PM   #13
Tikandtokalot
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor BB41 M79540
If you aspire to appreciate a watch from whatever manufacturer then think carefully about all its functions and what do you really want.
A good wristwatch is a long term partnership and it's a reliable and friendly face you carry for years.
It doesn't matter what opinions you seek from others it's a personal choice so do it for yourself.
Tikandtokalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 09:25 PM   #14
JSolution
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD
Can I ask if you’re male or female ? 31 is very very small for a man.
JSolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 09:43 PM   #15
Ihatecheese
Banned

I would recommend buying new if is the first automatic watch, also to really focus on whether this is something important at this point in life. My taste and priorities changed as i experienced new things as they continue to do. So it may be a good idea to purchase something you could sell later down the line without losing too much (a popular model rather than roman numeral or WG). Regardless its doubtful you would make any money or even break even unless you sold privately whilst never wearing the watch. So its more about how much you would lose whilst testing the water.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 10:04 PM   #16
IamJacky
"TRF" Member

Lots of good advices here and hats off to those who purchase their homes in their early 20's.

I too purchased a home before my first Rolex. Do not look at Rolex as an investment. They simply keep pretty good value. Meaning you can buy what you love right now, assuming you'd wear it for life. And one day shall you have no other way but sell it, chances are you won't be losing too much for what you originally paid for.

I bought my first Rolex when I was 30 and it was a Datejust II, it was when I had what they called disposable income. I never thought of selling it despite knowing that it won't lose its value much. I bought it new in the AD because I wanted to be the sole owner to that watch, it was significant to me to have my name on the warranty card - but to each his own.

31 mm is quite small, if you're a guy 36 mm is the minimum. Good luck!
IamJacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 10:25 PM   #17
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

The best luxury watch to buy is the make and model you like the most, or preferably love.

The best luxury watch to put your hard earned money into, in the hope of not losing any, is none of them.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 10:29 PM   #18
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Yes
Yes/No
Either
More valuable models aren't attainable for you
Rolex will always sell quickly in a pinch for the right price
31mm is probably too small for your wrist. Measure it with a measuring tape or string and ruler. If it's 5-6 inches get the 36mm, if it's 6+ inches get the 41mm. You'll pay a huge premium for the white gold bezel. Consider smooth bezel to save a lot.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 10:41 PM   #19
phamou
"TRF" Member

To reply to the OP:

Regardless of your decision, one option (since i saw you put it in CAD, some jewelers (very few) but in Canada Birks which is a big store offers 36/48 month payment without interest. Take a look into that. Its an option, and doing so would allow you to have your watch by payment say 200-300$/month and still have money to invest elsewhere.

Birks carry Rolex depending on location and i did that with my first Datejust back then with their monthly payment. Paid 200$/month for the datejust and used all the remaining amount to spend on investment and all (instead of paying 10k flat out although i had the means to do it). Gives you more flexibility
phamou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 10:45 PM   #20
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Personally, I’d compromise. Buy a nice Tudor or Omega and invest the rest of your money.

Reward yourself but invest in yourself.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 11:05 PM   #21
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
Quote:

I agree 110% with all of this.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 11:15 PM   #22
huncho
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

in some places this isn't possible. buying a house in nyc for example is just not even a realistic option and if you go somewhere like new jersey the prices won't appreciate anywhere close to that. real estate is great but only if you got in at the right place at the right time

to the op, 31 is really small if you're a male
huncho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 October 2020, 11:16 PM   #23
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSolution View Post
Can I ask if you’re male or female ? 31 is very very small for a man.
My wife won’t even wear a 31 as it’s too small
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 03:51 AM   #24
Geckobros
"TRF" Member

Another "value" thread. Sigh... buy the watch you love and enjoy. I was hoping you were simply asking for advice on models due to work/travel. Maybe wrist size vs case size? Lug to lug questions. I should have known better. 31, I hope you have pretty small wrists and good eyes.
Geckobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 03:57 AM   #25
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

Hi,

Nice to see another member on the younger side! So first of all I would 100% recommend buying a luxury watch if you feel you have the money to do so.

Rule #1 though, I wouldn’t buy it with the intention to sell, I would advice you buy what you like and don’t look back. Down the line, yes you can always sell, but if you go into it with that expectation I think you’re doing it wrong,

Is a DJ a good place to start? Yes. In fact, if I was advising someone what to get, new to the watch world I would say the following, DJ and Black Bay 58.

Sport and dress in two watches that for the money are just incredible. Feel free to send me a message if you have any other questions, good luck!
Old 27 October 2020, 03:58 AM   #26
2nastie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Time Only
Anything sub 36mm in size has never been a good piece to buy for a Rolex (in terms of your fear for depreciation, etc.). The sizes have never been popular and at a 31mm it is geared a female's watch which in general female watches haven't sold well on the secondary market.

I would caution on those factors if that is what you are basing your decision on. You really have to like the watch for itself and plan to keep for a long time to justify that spending. Just like my current thinking on potentially buying an independent watch brand.

I think you can afford to be a bit more patient and see how the market goes in a couple years before making a big first purchase. Taste change and so does finances at a young age (speaking form experience every watch I consider now I would have to be happy with keeping for the rest of my life).
2nastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 04:05 AM   #27
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

sure why not

not usually

depends

Daytona SS

Daytona SS

don't do it. It starts you down a dark path and you won't like where you end up trust me :)

brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 04:35 AM   #28
Oyster Sauce
"TRF" Member

Agree with so many others here:

Don’t buy a Rolex (or any other watch) as an investment. Don’t even factor the investment potential into your decision.

If you are buying to wear, because you really want to wear a Rolex, then the Rolex DJ is an excellent first choice. Typically 31 mm and below are the domain of females for modern watches, so if you’re male, it would be a bit of an aberration to wear it.

DJs, especially <36mm, don’t tend to gain value...the rule has been they lose value from new. As mentioned earlier, I wouldn’t expect any DJ to gain value. For this reason, purchase the 31 mm DJ pre-owned. Best wishes!
Oyster Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 05:07 AM   #29
TTalk
Banned

Quote:
I'm 20.
I'm looking at getting the DayJust Oyster, 31, Oystersteel and white gold, with the white Roman Numerals face.
How big is your wrist?
TTalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 October 2020, 05:28 AM   #30
LDN
"TRF" Member

Hey kid,
Good for you working hard and saving up yo get your first Rollie! 31mm is really small, are u sure about 31m? Gain some weight and get at least a 36m! The date just is a terrific piece, a true icon! It may not gain in value but you will get most
Of your money back when and if you decide to upgrade! Good luck!
LDN is offline   Reply With Quote