The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 22 October 2020, 09:52 AM   #1
Sandman42
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP ROC
Does AP wear larger than Panerai?

Evening everyone,

Want a more fun/ casual watch to add to my rotation. Currently have an AP 15500 and a PP 5167.

Tried on an AP Diver and it seemed way bigger than the 42mm it is described as.

I previously owned a PAM000, before foolishly trading it away to fund another watch. I don’t recall it wearing as big as the AP Diver, even though the 000 is described as a 44mm.

I now have an itch for the PAM111, but am getting a little thrown off by the 42mm/44mm differential. My current watches are 41mm (AP) which I would say wears a tad larger and a 40mm (PP) which might be true to size or even a drop smaller.

Has anyone else ever experienced this when trying on a PAM or an AP Diver or Offshore?

I guess what I am also asking is - what makes one watch where larger than the other?

Thanks in advance for replies!
Sandman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 12:39 PM   #2
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I’ve owned a PAM121 at 40mm and an AP 25860 and 25960 both at 39mm. The AP wears larger because of the case design and relative inflexibility of the bracelet. I have a 6.5” wrist and have thought that I could go up to 44mm in a Panerai Luminor because of the short lugs and the straps can be pulled downward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 06:04 PM   #3
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Icon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvrf View Post
I’ve owned a PAM121 at 40mm and an AP 25860 and 25960 both at 39mm. The AP wears larger because of the case design and relative inflexibility of the bracelet. I have a 6.5” wrist and have thought that I could go up to 44mm in a Panerai Luminor because of the short lugs and the straps can be pulled downward.

Agree about fixed lugs making APs wear larger.

The 317 looks large on my wrist even with the black case because of its thickness and the dial is large relative to the bezel and case, but the short lugs with articulating strap make it not wear as big.

The Diver wears bigger because the lug-to-lug length is long with plots and straps that don’t articulate, but the smaller dial-to-case ratio and thinness compared with the 317 makes it look smaller.

eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 06:37 AM   #4
Kilometerman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman42 View Post

Has anyone else ever experienced this when trying on a PAM or an AP Diver or Offshore?

I guess what I am also asking is - what makes one watch where larger than the other?

Thanks in advance for replies!
I’ve got a variety of Panerai sizes and AP watches. IMHO the measurements don’t mean much across brands. And it also depends on the shape (not just size) of your wrist.

My wrist is pretty flat and just under 7.25”.

Panerai 44mm doesn’t feel too big to me, and I would put in the ball park of a AP 42mm ROO, and I would include the diver in this category. The 44mm AP ROO is bigger still and more equivalent to the 47mm PAM offerings.

Height of the watch really matters, as do the lugs and their angle. Weight is pretty big factor too. The bracelet or strap can be a big factor too. My ROO 42 on a rubber strap seems way smaller than when on a bracelet. The Rolex DSSD is incredibly different on a (RubberB) strap than on bracelet. It seems to melt with the strap, but on the bracelet it feels so big.

It’s why seeing them in the flesh is so important!

Good luck! AP Divers/Offshore and Panerai’s equivalents are both great choices. Or at least I keep telling myself that to justify my existing collection...
Kilometerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 12:27 PM   #5
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Yea. 44mm Luminor wears similar in size to a 42mm ROO.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2020, 12:30 PM   #6
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Hmmm not too sure vs Panerai. I've had both at the same time but I feel the crown guard equipped Panerai specifically can look quite chunky.

AP ROs definitely wear large though by ~2mmish like the others mentioned.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2020, 02:40 AM   #7
pdnb
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5726, 5212
Quote:
Originally Posted by eonflux View Post
Agree about fixed lugs making APs wear larger.

The 317 looks large on my wrist even with the black case because of its thickness and the dial is large relative to the bezel and case, but the short lugs with articulating strap make it not wear as big.

The Diver wears bigger because the lug-to-lug length is long with plots and straps that don’t articulate, but the smaller dial-to-case ratio and thinness compared with the 317 makes it look smaller.

I wear 44/47mm pams... AP Diver wears big! Exactly for the reasons mentioned above

I prefer the Panerai

pdnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 November 2020, 08:13 PM   #8
whiteibex
"TRF" Member

Wrist size and case diameter are just indicators. You could have a "flat" or "round" wrist, and a 42mm watch could have straight or curved lugs, not to mention case thickness.
whiteibex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 04:51 PM   #9
BDB
"TRF" Member

How hard is an AP diver to get at msrp? I went into Hing Wa Lee in San Gabriel on Wednesday and they tried to sell me an 1159 and then a Hublot.

I mostly wear my 232 and have all but given up on getting a Rolex gmt. So started looking at the AP Range. But may end up back at a Pam sub My 005 and 232 both needed servicing. My 16610 sub had its first service at 17 yrs only because I dropped it on a ceramic tile floor and shattered it. I want something that I can jump in the pool with and not have to think about.
BDB is offline   Reply With Quote