The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 November 2020, 09:35 AM   #1
IgorModel94
Banned

Fiber underneath Crystal

Quick question. Had my GMT IIC serviced about 5 years ago. Went to sell it recently and a fiber was detected underneath the crystal when looked at with a jewelers loupe. I sent it back to the place it was serviced and they are trying to tell me that sometimes watches can get dust or debris under the crystal after many years of unscrewing the crown to change the time, date or to wind the watch. Anyone ever experienced this? They want another $750 for full service. I wanted them to do it for free since it wasn’t there until after they serviced it the first time. It’s a Rolex certified company that provides a 2 year international warranty. I just can’t believe that a fiber worked it’s way through the seals and then through the movement and onto the underside of the crystal. There’s no way. Thoughts? What would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IgorModel94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 09:40 AM   #2
Onikage
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16628
Rubbish. That fiber was in there somewhere all along. Unscrewing the crown doesn't let anything in unless the seals have disappeared first.
ROLEXFANBOY P-Club Member #4
Onikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 09:42 AM   #3
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Fiber underneath Crystal

Doubt that is the case. All you need is a watchmen to remove the crown, remove the movement / dial assembly and clean / blow sapphire inner side and the dial/ hands to then re-insert. No service required for that!

My watchmen charges $75 for dial swaps which is a bit more complicated so anything over $100 would be too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 09:51 AM   #4
IgorModel94
Banned

Fiber underneath Crystal

I agree guys. I was hoping they could just take it apart and clean it, but I was also told that if they do just that, that they can’t guarantee accurate time keeping or water resistance without performing a full service.

IgorModel94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 11:29 AM   #5
rolexfanforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I bought two new watches recently and both had a very noticeable dust particle. One was Rolex, one Patek. Patek removed the dust in 15 minutes. Rolex took 4 weeks because we had to send it to them. But both covered under warranty no charge and now look great. So it can be removed easily, no worries, just a pain
GS: SBGP017; Omega: PO diamond; RM: 67-02 (Green); Rolex: 16710, 16520, 116509 (TMOP), 116520, 5513, 1680, 16013 (Tiffany stamped), 116610LV, 124300 x 2 (Celebration; Green), 126719BLRO (Meteorite), 226570 (polar) Oyster Quartz; Tag: Monaco; VC: Patrimony!
rolexfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 04:15 PM   #6
CFR
2024 Pledge Member

[QUOTE=IgorModel94;11093161]I agree guys. I was hoping they could just take it apart and clean it, but I was also told that if they do just that, that they can’t guarantee accurate time keeping or water resistance without performing a full service./QUOTE]

This has happened to me before. Same situation, but with an RSC, several years after they opened the caseback. Tell them you don't expect them to guarantee water resistance, and you don't need them to adjust the timekeeping but that you would like them to check the timekeeping both before and after they remove the fiber to make sure it's not less accurate afterwards -- and that you're happy to put that in writing. Hopefully they'll agree to that.
CFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 04:49 PM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

It would have been inside the case, roaming around.

But 5 years after a service is a bit late to expect them to fix it for you...
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 05:29 PM   #8
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Fiber underneath Crystal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorModel94 View Post
I agree guys. I was hoping they could just take it apart and clean it, but I was also told that if they do just that, that they can’t guarantee accurate time keeping or water resistance without performing a full service.

Any decent watchmaker should be able to open it and remove the movement carefully enough to get the fiber out.

Upon reassembly, if the timekeeping aspect changed, all you’d ask him to do is an adjustment.

Anytime a watch is opened, a pressure test to 100m should be done.

Can’t imagine why the original watchmaker couldn’t do same - but I agree with Bas that any work would be at your expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 06:23 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
It would have been inside the case, roaming around.

But 5 years after a service is a bit late to expect them to fix it for you...
Have to agree Bas perhaps a touch of today's loupe madness.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 06:32 PM   #10
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

I had that happen to a brand new Hulk years ago. RSC removed it for free.

SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote