The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 April 2020, 12:32 PM   #91
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrpdc View Post
+1

Still never came across someone wearing one out in the “wild”.
Even better lol

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 12:44 PM   #92
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveo5 View Post
I stopped in at the Rolex boutique in Wynn’s LV the day the sky dweller was announced. They showed me the only one in stock. Stainless steel with 18K WG bezel(?). I thought it was looking like a Breitling dial. Didn’t like it at all and for $17,500.00 definitely not interested. Still not after all these years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I understand the purist point of view. Some of us got to this level by owning several Breitlings first.

The Sky-D doesn't cost that much either. 14.8 in SS. 17.6 in 2 tone. For some precious metal and an annual calendar I think it's a bargain. The blue dial SS is the only one fetching above retail.
tvandevelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 12:55 PM   #93
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
Has anyone mentioned the elephant in the room?
The Skydweller looks too much like a Datejust. Why pay more, and people mistake your watch for the cheaper datejust?

Plus, non-WIS people don't understand nor appreciate the annual calendar complication. So again, why pay more for something they can't/don't appreciate.

Just my two cents.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 01:08 PM   #94
Kliminator
2024 Pledge Member

I think it would have a lot more appeal if it was 40mm.
Kliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 01:14 PM   #95
4 Aussies
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Blue Sky
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseShu View Post
The Skydweller looks too much like a Datejust. Why pay more, and people mistake your watch for the cheaper datejust?

Plus, non-WIS people don't understand nor appreciate the annual calendar complication. So again, why pay more for something they can't/don't appreciate.

Just my two cents.
The Sky Dweller is the big brother to the Datejust. You are forgetting about the GMT function. I could care less if John Doe has no clue if my watch is a Datejust or a multi complication Sky Dweller. The annual calendar is icing on the cake. My personal taste steered me into the Sky Dweller, I much prefer the dressier more elegant look to the multi colored outside the dial GMT bezels. You pays your money and you takes your choice.
4 Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 01:14 PM   #96
GreatHarry
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR
Quote:

Just my two cents.
You buy expensive watches for other people to appreciate? You're far too generous!

Oh, and there's nothing wrong with the DJ, BTW.
GreatHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 01:35 PM   #97
inosaris
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kliminator View Post
I think it would have a lot more appeal if it was 40mm.
100%. Try one on every chance I get hoping my wrist has grown to 8”
inosaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 02:02 PM   #98
PNBLWZD
"TRF" Member

If I understand correctly, the SkyD mistaken for DJ41 because they’re almost the same diameter. Isn’t the SkyD considerably thicker/taller though?
PNBLWZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 02:13 PM   #99
tvandevelde
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNBLWZD View Post
If I understand correctly, the SkyD mistaken for DJ41 because they’re almost the same diameter. Isn’t the SkyD considerably thicker/taller though?
Yes. Thicker and longer (she said). I understand going from a DJ36 to a Sky-D would be imposing. Rolex actually making a man's sized watch brought them current IMO. SD43, YMII, DSSD and the Sky-D are the only pieces I care for. I can stand a DJII if necessary, but dislike the DJ41.

The statement that only WIS are in the know?? Who give a flying f$%k?!? I know plenty of people that could buy me a hundred times over that think I'm an idiot for wearing a watch that costs so much and doesn't read me my text messages. I wear a watch for ME.
tvandevelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 02:25 PM   #100
Jsauce
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
The current Sky-D line up doesn’t have much contrast between the ring and dial. The first ones did but that was much more noticeable on large hi-res images than on the wrist.

Is this the RG with the Rhodium dial??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 03:32 PM   #101
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Just my two cents.
The Skydweller is definitely not for the non-wis buyer which is great. If you don’t get the value of an annual calendar and jumping hour GMT complications in a single watch, this watch is not for you.

Is it big? It’s no bigger than an Omega Speedmaster at 42mm and is not as thick as my BB GMT at 15mm. I consider this one of the best values in watches and we’re talking about a Rolex here!!
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 04:04 PM   #102
dmash
"TRF" Member

Because it’s a frankenwatch and highly unattractive.

just my opinion, don’t shoot me
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2020, 04:31 PM   #103
mickyd329
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP/PP/Rolex
Quote:

Just my two cents.

Maybe for the love of the watch? Maybe for the love of the hobby? Who cares what others think?

FWIW, it would be the watch of choice if I had to choose just one from my current collection.
PP 5205G-013/ PP 5212A / AP 15416CE /26574 st QP/ AP 50th 16202st /AP 15500st Black / AP 26405CE / AP 77350CE / AP 15551st / AP 67540sk /Daytona C White/Rolex SS BLRO / Rolex Sub Green / Rolex Explorer II/ Rolex DJ Blue
mickyd329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 02:59 AM   #104
cuibono
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS SkyD
Quote:

Just my two cents.
You realize that non-WIS people don't understand or appreciate mechanical watches right? If you're in this hobby to impress others, including non-WIS people, then I'm afraid you're overpaying for everything on your wrist.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
cuibono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 09:56 AM   #105
nda
"TRF" Member

I wear my Sky Dweller every day... I doesn't look or feel big on me, particularly when compared to a Planet Ocean which I occasionally wear. I bought it because I wanted the complication - not bothered in the slightest that 'people' might mistake it for another watch... I don't choose a watch based on what others might think.
nda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 11:25 AM   #106
Agoloz
"TRF" Member

SkyD is my daily beater. The complications are designed for daily use.
Agoloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 11:40 AM   #107
logo
"TRF" Member

I prefer the DJ in stainless and TT, and prefer the DD in gold, so the SkyD is always #2 in my mind. SkyD is nice, but it’s a bit cluttered, a bit big for a classic reference (for my taste), and with a fluted bezel I prefer a jubilee bracelet or president bracelet. I can appreciate the annual calendar, but it’s not a complication I need/want. If I did, I’d pony up for a Patek. Again, just my personal preference - it’s a very nice watch nonetheless.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 11:57 AM   #108
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Honestly, my favorite Rolex:

Old 18 April 2020, 06:29 PM   #109
Xerxes77
Banned

What it’s funny is more threads are about the looking of the SkyDweller who are looking like DJ.
Hey it’s not about looking it’s about the most complicated Rolex ever in production.
Yes it’s big but it’s perfect balanced on the wrist.
I have a Patek Nautilus 5726 new blue dial and believe me to adjust the watch it’s really a complex process.
On my SkyDweller it’s very easy and quickly.
Rolex do there best a friendly annual calendar.
Also many members don’t like it because have no history.
But we need to look back when nobody want to buy Daytona because have a too many info on dial.
We can talk about in 10 years and will see .....
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 10:18 PM   #110
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes77 View Post
What it’s funny is more threads are about the looking of the SkyDweller who are looking like DJ.
Hey it’s not about looking it’s about the most complicated Rolex ever in production.
Yes it’s big but it’s perfect balanced on the wrist.
I have a Patek Nautilus 5726 new blue dial and believe me to adjust the watch it’s really a complex process.
On my SkyDweller it’s very easy and quickly.
Rolex do there best a friendly annual calendar.
Also many members don’t like it because have no history.
But we need to look back when nobody want to buy Daytona because have a too many info on dial.
We can talk about in 10 years and will see .....

Good points and very true
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 10:37 PM   #111
nickyvu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjin View Post
Not much talk about Sky-D on this forum, that's fine by me.

Seems most discussion on this forum nowadays is about, value, flipping, scratches, or is it safe to wear (my pet hate).

The Sky-D is the most expensive SS watch by Rolex, to the un-informed, looks like a DJ. Which is for arguments sake is near 1/2 the price of the SS Sky-D amd widely available.

There is no Hype Beast around this reference, which means, only the real true Watch connoisseur can appreciate the true hidden beauty of the Rolex Sky Dweller.

Here's mine

I love this watch
One sexy beast

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
nickyvu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 11:11 PM   #112
Pim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Because it’s a frankenwatch and highly unattractive.

just my opinion, don’t shoot me
Imma looking for my gun right now !!
Pim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2020, 11:38 PM   #113
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Just my two cents.
This is what I like so much about it. It could be a DJ. I know it isn't. I don't care what anybody else knows, thinks or thinks they know. It's my watch.

99% of onlookers won't even see it. Of the remainder, most will think it's a fake and most of the rest will think it's a DJ. As far as I'm concerned, that's perfect.

Don't like it, don't buy it. More for those who do. Good result all round.

Mine has become my go to watch. It's not big compared to other watches in my collection. And it's more comfortable than some of them.I'm actually starting to wonder what watches I would keep to compliment/contrast it in a 3-4 watch collection. I think my Polar, Hulk and TT CHNR would slot in nicely. It probably won't happen though.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 01:11 AM   #114
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pim View Post
Imma looking for my gun right now !!

Also lol at person who would be concerned ‘they might mistake my watch for something else’. You’re buying for the wrong reasons if you ever let other people’s opinions influence your $10k+ purchase, come on.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 01:48 AM   #115
Gipsy Danger
"TRF" Member

I’ve tried one on at the AD, and simply didn’t like it. I do like large watches, in fact, I’m waiting on a DSSD now. I also like perpetual calendars, but much prefer the JLC Master. My next watch will be one of the above.
Gipsy Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 07:44 AM   #116
Xerxes77
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gipsy Danger View Post
I’ve tried one on at the AD, and simply didn’t like it. I do like large watches, in fact, I’m waiting on a DSSD now. I also like perpetual calendars, but much prefer the JLC Master. My next watch will be one of the above.
This is a very good answer!
Simply you don’t like it. This doesn’t mean you don’t have good taste but simply don’t sing for you.
But thread who told us the reason to not love a SkyDweller it’s because look like a DJ I think it’s from people who don’t like the Rolex watch for what represents but want to have one to show other what Rolex they have and are afraid public not recognized his model.
If we think like this why we buy a Sub and a GMT because the case are the same only few differences?
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 08:02 AM   #117
vanhwrd4
"TRF" Member

Love my SkyD. It’s not for everyone and that’s ok. I love that it’s a Rolex with multiple complications. I like that it’s off the beaten path (IMO) of other Rolex watches. Also love my Milgauss Z Blue for same reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
vanhwrd4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 08:31 AM   #118
MyLord
"TRF" Member

A friend was wearing one. I commented “nice datejust”. 🤦🏻*♂️
MyLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 09:20 AM   #119
QLlector
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLord View Post
A friend was wearing one. I commented “nice datejust”. 🤦🏻*♂️
My lord...
QLlector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 11:24 AM   #120
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
non-WIS people don't understand nor appreciate the annual calendar complication. So again, why pay more for something they can't/don't appreciate.
Sounds like you buy watches based on what others may or may not think.

Don't you realize just how sad that is?

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote