The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 7 July 2020, 08:01 PM   #61
Pilliam
"TRF" Member

OP...I feel for you that you're unhappy with it; yet agree with abozz and Rori, as well as others who love the SD43. I have a flat, 7" wrist and it's far more comfortable than my 2018 Bluesy.

1. The SD43 has to be buckled down fairly tight to keep from flopping around; and
2. The extension should be removed and adjustments made from there.

I always have my AD size for me because I'll [inevitably] screw it up, but by way of comparison, as far as the Glidelock is concerned, I wear my SD43 on the next to the last slot out. So my only play is between that 5th and 6th (final) groove. On my Bluesy, less links were removed, and I wear it on the 2nd groove "in" (so I've got way more adjustment options). For whatever reason, despite the SD43's heft over the Sub, it feels like I'm not even wearing a watch (and isn't that the ideal measure of comfort?)

I don't get the same level of comfort on my Sub, which I suspect has something to do with the proportionality of the case to the lugs (SD43 is more seamless from case-to-lug; Sub is a chunk of metal on a much more abrupt case-to-lug design).

My advice, before you part with it, is to take it to your AD and have them finagle it for you...you may be surprised and end up loving it. I certainly wouldn't try and sell in these uncertain economic times. I just sold my 2018 Explorer and it took me about 3 months to move through my AD (I'm "risk-adverse" and don't buy or sell online). People are forever looking for a deal, and try to negotiate beyond belief these days. By way of example...my Explorer was purchased brand new at an AD in July of 2018; I bet I wore it no more than one dozen times. Reached out to certain, respected grey dealers, who offered me $5,500, even though those same dealers were commanding well into the $7K range on their site(s). I held out through my AD who sold it for $7K, but it took patience. My point is, right now, I don't know that you'd profit - or even make your money back - if you try and sell your SD43.

Last edited by Pilliam; 7 July 2020 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: stupid autocorrect
Pilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 08:55 PM   #62
ttman333
"TRF" Member

Watch: SeaDweller 43
Suggest as with many others you get your AD to remove the divers extension and then finesse the bracelet until it fits properly.

Mine is great and I don't even know it's there. As the weather changes I can micro adjust the bracelet to tighten/loosen as required.
ttman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 10:46 PM   #63
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cattleman41 View Post
Mine fits great!
God that looks like torture for me - don't you ever need to lift your hand up or need your palm flat - the crown and watch then try to break your wrist!?

Sorry I'm a loose wearer - someone who PM'd me is possibly going to pluck up courage to start a thread - but is scared......

Each to their own I guess.
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 10:47 PM   #64
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttman333 View Post
Suggest as with many others you get your AD to remove the divers extension and then finesse the bracelet until it fits properly.

Mine is great and I don't even know it's there. As the weather changes I can micro adjust the bracelet to tighten/loosen as required.
Sorry for double post - but I thought Rolex AD would not modify clasp as it was against Rolex policy?
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 11:10 PM   #65
superpop
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 and SS SkyD
Not sure what all the hubbub is about. Mine wears perfectly. Granted, I am 6'7" tall and 270lbs with pretty big flat wrists but mine fits perfectly. I did wear Breitling saucers for years though so anything below around 44MM looks girly to me. I think it comes down to wrist anatomy, and size. That is the great thing about Rolex, they have something for everyone.
superpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 11:15 PM   #66
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Again for most larger wrists it wears perfectly fine. Depends on shape, size, and "padding" which I have a little too much of at the moment LOL.

Anyway this is how it sits on my 7.75" wrist. Sinks in nicely. The big benefit of a watch with a protruding caseback is that it hides the thickness very effectively. So you don't end up with the giant slab sides you get with the DSSD. This watch doesn't wear nearly as thick as its specs for larger wrists IMO.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 July 2020, 11:36 PM   #67
NachoNeal
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the river flow
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
I’m emphasizing to make a point, but same for me and I sold mine. I bought it as a birthday present for myself. Wanted to love it, but couldn’t after time.

Nice illustrative photo, with some gratuitous star trek thrown in!
Old 8 July 2020, 01:20 AM   #68
Gimoozaabi
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the grass grow
I currently wear the SD43 24/7 as I took it on vacation with me (today it was already in the sea, swimming pool, jacuzzi, shower), I don't even remove it when I go to bed. I have absolutely no discomfort. My wrist is 7,5" with a flat shape. I wear equally comfortable both the SD43 and SD4k, which I believe has exactly the same caseback. I have the diver extension removed on both watches. On the SD43 at 12 o'clock I have 5 and 1/2 links and 5 at 6 o'clock position. I feel the watch weight immediately (I like its heft on the wrist) when I put it on my wrist then it quickly disappears and I don't notice it at all throughout the day.

OP, it sad that you have discomfort while wearing it. Try removing the divers extension (flip lock) and readjust the bracelet links.
Gimoozaabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:50 AM   #69
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by abozz View Post
An SD43 or a DSSD is not a Casio F91W, that you wear it on your wrist and you don't even know that you are wearing a watch, when a friend ask me I always say DO NOT buy a SD / DSSD unless you like the history of the reference (comex, US navy, Gas valve invention, etc), and you are crazy for having those 185/215 grams of 904L steel on your wrist! Is for a fanatic! A Fanboy! A Sub, GMT or Daytona is perfect! A SD43/DSSD are perfect ONLY with a touch of crazyness!

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
This advice almost makes no sense. I’m not a fanboy nor crazy. It’s just another watch with its own set of characteristics to consider.
By this logic I probably wouldn’t buy any Rolex as I’m not a fanboy of any particular Rolex’s history.

The issue is simple, the size of the watch and the dimensions of the caseback, for some this can be an issue, that’s it period.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:58 AM   #70
Brny11
"TRF" Member

Some wear platinum DD as daily drivers. Those literally feel like LBs sitting on the wrist. People get used to it (or have worn heavier watches and are just okay with it).

I don’t think weight or size are the only factors. If the oyster case shape is anything like the sub, with additional weight and size, I would never want to own an SD (other than 5dig). I do find sub comfortable but other heavier, larger watches have been much more wearable.
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 02:02 AM   #71
mand2240
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710
And here I am wishing my GMT was 42mm.. Fat wrist problems
mand2240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 02:05 AM   #72
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
I’m emphasizing to make a point, but same for me and I sold mine. I bought it as a birthday present for myself. Wanted to love it, but couldn’t after time.

Would be great if someone wears his sub on the edge of his wrist like in the picture above, bent his wrist and take a shot please. Would love to see how it ill look.
Old 8 July 2020, 02:06 AM   #73
zjd168
"TRF" Member

It is a big watch so undoubtedly less comfortable to wear than Daytona/sub/GMT/36DJ/DD. However unless wearing it going a 5-mile long walk, I don't feel it is less comfortable than other watches of similar size/weight. I mean both the SD43 and JC DSSD Version 1.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 02:20 AM   #74
Billfish
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41 Date, Panda
Its definitely a watch not for everyone, but glad it fits me and no complaints here
Billfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 02:34 AM   #75
Roli4life
"TRF" Member

SD43 so uncomfortable

IMO The Wearing experience has been very pleasant Obviously it’s a bit more hefty than my Daytona, but when compared to my submariner it’s nearly the same as far as comfort is concerned. If it helps I have 7 1/4 ‘’ wrists. I also removed the dive suit extension.
Roli4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 03:20 AM   #76
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
it wears worse the revised 126660. it is a boat with those fixed mid links at the end of the case.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 03:34 AM   #77
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
When I got my BlackBay Red a few years ago, I deliberately went for the original ETA version as NOS over the later in-house movement - some nice aesthetics (rose, curved text) but one of the advantages to me was that it had a slimmer caseback and sat more nicely. The in-house was technically better and longer reserve, but it made the watch bulge out the back, which is not something I'm a fan of. Hanging some of the bulk out of the back of a case isn't great for everyone if they don't have the wrist for it.

On my older-generation SD (16600) the caseback was more prominent than the same generation sub making it sit higher, but didn't make it wobble as long as you didn't wear it too loose - the back of the case would just sit between the two wrist bones and be fine. My having some built in 'padding' from a healthy appetite probably helped, but it felt like a relatively compact design considering the depth rating.

With the 43 (which is bigger than I would want), the central part of the caseback is also bigger and so, as per the pics above, it doesn't 'nestle' into your wrist as a smaller more vintage piece would. I don't mind a bit of heft (my GO is thick for a dress watch) but the SD43 is too chunky for my taste, even though it looks well proportioned face-on and the weight is spread over a broad area.

If I go back to a Seadweller in the future... traded my 16600 towards a Daytona, but I really liked it... it won't be the SD43 because having a cyclops spoils it for me. But if cyclops didn't spoil it for me because I was old with failing eyes and wanted the help - the height and weight might kill it for me instead.
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 03:41 AM   #78
sokoloka
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thuilln View Post
I wonder how much R & D went into that watch vs the pressure they felt of releasing the biggest, boldest, douchest watch they could to satisfy a questionable part of their customers.. thumb down Rolex.
Tough to look in a mirror sometimes eh?
Old 8 July 2020, 03:45 AM   #79
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rori View Post
Would be great if someone wears his sub on the edge of his wrist like in the picture above, bent his wrist and take a shot please. Would love to see how it ill look.
Well you can pretty much make any watch look like that.

Here is my BLRO on jubilee which is arguably the most comfortable Rolex

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 04:02 AM   #80
alphadweller
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:

It doesn't do that on average to large wrists, the caseback sinks between ulna and radius which makes it wear flatter than it really is. On smaller wrists with bones close to each other, it will be pushed up and protrude like in the picture.

The 20mm cadeback flat surface sitting on the bones of the smaller wrist might be the reason for a potential discomfort, considering it's a heavier watch at 194g (complete).
alphadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 04:04 AM   #81
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
.... The issue is simple, the size of the watch and the dimensions of the caseback, for some this can be an issue, that’s it period.
I do agree with this.

Furthermore, caseback shape can work the other way for some and flat shapes can be equally uncomfortable for some.

Lastly, it’s quite possible that the protruding baseback is by design and for an intended purpose, which is for when the watch is worn over a wet suit it can “sink in” slightly for a good fit

It’s a good thing Rolex has variety
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 08:46 AM   #82
Bustelo
"TRF" Member

Watch: maker in the US
I found stepping down to the 116600 solves issues with the sd43.

-tiny caseback purchase area/weight/case height ratio
-date mag on a SD.

Too bad about 116600 production, especially for those like myself that do not find the maxi crown guard appealing.
Bustelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 09:55 AM   #83
Deep Sea
"TRF" Member

Watch: A Rolex or two
My experience was the exact opposite - the DSSD was way to top-heavy and wasn't comfortable. The SD43 is just about perfect.

As others have said....different people have a different experience, whether positive or not so positive.
Deep Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 10:02 AM   #84
armybuck041
"TRF" Member

Watch: Easy Come, Easy Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Sea View Post
My experience was the exact opposite - the DSSD was way to top-heavy and wasn't comfortable. The SD43 is just about perfect.

As others have said....different people have a different experience, whether positive or not so positive.

Completely agreed. DSSD was just too much.. SD43 is the right temperature porridge.
Old 8 July 2020, 10:56 AM   #85
Gladiat0r
"TRF" Member

I have a big 8.25 wrist and had to sell my SD43. It just didn’t feel good in the wrist and yes, the pronounces caseback is the culprit. And yes I did try removing the diver extension, messing with links, and even threw it on a rubber strap. Just couldn’t deal with it after a few months of trying. I now own a 2019 Deepsea JC which feels great as well as an older Deepsea black as a daily beater on an Everest band. Love them.
Gladiat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 12:58 PM   #86
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I do agree with this.

Furthermore, caseback shape can work the other way for some and flat shapes can be equally uncomfortable for some.

Lastly, it’s quite possible that the protruding baseback is by design and for an intended purpose, which is for when the watch is worn over a wet suit it can “sink in” slightly for a good fit

It’s a good thing Rolex has variety
Very well said.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:03 PM   #87
Judge
Banned

Watch: DSSD MK I
Probably not relevant but I have been wearing my 116660 most of the day with5 links on both sides and removal of the divers extension and no issues here. The slide lock is amazing, it is over 100 degrees here in Texas outside and one quick adjustment and it feels great. Back inside the house, I cool down and another easy adjustment. The slide lock is amazing and the 116660 is as well. Perfect pair for my 7.25" wrist.

Could not be more happier.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:45 PM   #88
gmtln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattleman41 View Post
Mine fits great!
For me, that looks uncomfortable, the crown rubbing up against the back of my hand would drive me nuts.
gmtln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 01:53 PM   #89
TXSD43
"TRF" Member

Watch: Batgirl, Hulk, SD4
I think the SD43 is one of the best watches in Rolex lineup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXSD43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2020, 02:14 PM   #90
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor