The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 November 2020, 10:29 PM   #121
kostal2093
"TRF" Member

If someone with small wrists buys a watch that is too big for them, how is that the watches fault? Buy a watch that suits you but don't blame the watch design for poor decision making on your part.
In my opinion, the SD43 is perfect and I wouldn't change it for any other watch in the Rolex range.
kostal2093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 11:16 PM   #122
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmgb View Post
Quick Update
I exchanged the SD43 today for a GMT Batman, what a difference!
So comfortable and very happy
I did the exact same thing. Bought a new SD43. Loved the looks of it. Could not wear it because it was so incredibly uncomfortable. Traded it for a new GMT Batman. Put the Batman on and couldn't believe how much better it felt.
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 11:29 PM   #123
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I sold my beloved Sub to part fund an SD43 thinking it was the watch to have.

I think I allowed myself to get caught up in the internet hype surrounding it at the time.

I do like the watch but don’t love it the same way I loved my Sub - the old saying is true, you don’t really know what you have until you lose it...

It’s an amazing piece of engineering like all the divers Rolex produce, but I too find it a little cumbersome & uncomfortable to wear all day.

I am seriously considering part chopping it back for another Sub which in hindsight I should never have let go.

instagram: max.parkin
Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2020, 11:42 PM   #124
Daveclock
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing and waiting!
I tried a "used" one on at official AD (was only a few grand more!! LOL!)
Luckily I knew it was much too big for me, (my just under 7 1/2 wrist)
However in the pictures etc., with the bezel and the flash of red - I think it looks SO good - but obviously not made to suit me.
I like watches fairly loose, and certainly not between wrist bone and wrist (is there even a gap there for a watch?!)
I read on here there many musings about strap adjustment - but it seems they mainly favour strangle tight fit (again not for me)
I'm sure AD would welcome it back - as it sells for more 2nd time round for them doesn't it?
Good Luck with whatever you decide.
Daveclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 12:18 AM   #125
Spartan1
"TRF" Member

Removing the diver’s extension definitely helps with comfort level, in this case, however, I really think at the end of the day, I find the Sea-Dweller to be a bit of a compromise. I prefer a larger watch, as is the case here, and am willing to sacrifice the comfort that I could get from wearing a smaller timepiece, ie. the Daytona. I have yet to find a larger watch that provided greater comfort than a smaller timepiece. So to address your concern, I do think most will find the Sea-Dweller to be somewhat of a top heavy watch that sits high and proud, however, with that I must add, it is also a beautifully proportioned and aesthetically pleasing watch that I have embraced.
Spartan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 01:30 AM   #126
Greglaw
Banned

I have 7.5 inch wrist which is flat and just couldn’t get comfortable...too heavy and hurt my wrist bone.
Greglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 02:14 AM   #127
RolexEDC
"TRF" Member

SubC to SD43 and sold it and back to SubC for me
RolexEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 02:35 AM   #128
abozz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660, 126600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
This advice almost makes no sense. I’m not a fanboy nor crazy. It’s just another watch with its own set of characteristics to consider.

By this logic I probably wouldn’t buy any Rolex as I’m not a fanboy of any particular Rolex’s history.

The issue is simple, the size of the watch and the dimensions of the caseback, for some this can be an issue, that’s it period.
3.900m or 1220m only for fans, that is my opinion, period, for you only 300m is fine.

What does not make sense to me is that you wear a 3900/1220 meter watch, heavy, large and uncomfortable in relation to others and that it is just another watch, I can not do anything in my life without passion, but I respect your approach to the world of watchmaking. it's your business.

A watch that holds deeper will be thicker, more uncomfortable, heavier, it is OBVIOUS and the only reason that makes sense is that you like it that way.

Enviado desde mi SM-G975F mediante Tapatalk
abozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 03:23 AM   #129
subx
"TRF" Member

the SD43 does takes a little bit more playing with links and half links to tweak up the comfort zone: to make sure clasp is centered.
and once wearing it snug, it's Absolutely FINE.

PS: by the way that picture on page 1 is ridiculous... once you BEND YOUR WRIST DOWN any watch will look likes it ' sticks out ' ///
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
I’m emphasizing to make a point, but same for me and I sold mine. I bought it as a birthday present for myself. Wanted to love it, but couldn’t after time.

Old 29 November 2020, 03:48 AM   #130
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
SD43 so uncomfortable

I'm not certain what the game is with Dive watches and getting the biggest and the baddest. I've owned quite a few. I guess in the old days it signified enough bravado to be a diver but these day they aren't used for much more that surface play. With a 6.5in wrist I didn't find the 114060 comfortable or stylish let alone something larger. I wouldn't even try. I'll continue with my fashionable dive watch wannabee, my 116622 Rhodium. It give me all the dive joy I need, looks and feels great at the same time.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 08:07 AM   #131
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

SD43 so uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
I'm not certain what the game is with Dive watches and getting the biggest and the baddest. I've owned quite a few. I guess in the old days it signified enough bravado to be a diver but these day they aren't used for much more that surface play. With a 6.5in wrist I didn't find the 114060 comfortable or stylish let alone something larger. I wouldn't even try. I'll continue with my fashionable dive watch wannabee, my 116622 Rhodium. It give me all the dive joy I need, looks and feels great at the same time.

Just stay in the shallow end ;) ... like the coast guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 09:41 AM   #132
lbj_19
"TRF" Member

I also at first look wanted the SD43 but when I was able to try one it became an easy pass for me, too thick and uncomfortable to wear. I do love the dial and the red sea dweller. On to the next for me.
lbj_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 10:51 AM   #133
spurwar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126600, 79220N
Wrist is on the smaller side here and mine was a bit uncomfortable when I first bought it. However, once I had the links adjusted it changed everything. Now I don't even notice it most of the time. I would recommend playing around with the links before getting rid of it. There are many threads on this forum on the link adjustments for this particular watch.
spurwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 11:47 AM   #134
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
SD43 so uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Oyster View Post
Just stay in the shallow end ;) ... like the coast guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty certain that I’ll never test its 100m depth rating even if I were to start diving again. Can you honestly say you would pass 100m. That’s exactly what I’m talking about!!!

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 11:55 AM   #135
Deepseadog
Banned

Watch: 126660 279160
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick800 View Post
I’m emphasizing to make a point, but same for me and I sold mine. I bought it as a birthday present for myself. Wanted to love it, but couldn’t after time.

That picture pretty much says it all. So glad I went with the 126660. That said, it apparently works for some which is great. This is when being able to try them on at one's AD would come in handy.
Deepseadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 12:02 PM   #136
kans86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The Deepsea's caseback protrudes less and is a larger surface diameter to spread the load, no issues for me.

It's been well documented by many owners here. The SD 116600 has a similar caseback, but the watch is smaller so there's less pressing unto the owners wrist.
Could be a valid point. I sold my 116600 for that reason. Never tried on the SD43 though.
kans86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 12:07 PM   #137
cvo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 117610LN 116610LN
I think it is way to early to make the call. Give it some time, like a couple of months. I am thinking people whom have PM watches will know that the weight of their new watch will normalize with time.
cvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 12:10 PM   #138
Malum
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43 D-Blue
Three years ago when my AD called I did not hesitate . I had only seen the pics , but I knew I wanted this watch . Of my Explorer my GMT Omegas Breitlings and Iwc the SD43 is my most comfortable watch . Still waiting on Exp II and DSSD , I’ll compare.when my AD comes through .
Malum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 01:06 PM   #139
Hollie_Rollie
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
I just picked up my DSSD JC...imo the JC actually feels more comfortable than the SD43. I don’t know how this is possible, maybe it’s the honeymoon phase, but the first 5 hours of wear have been exceptional
Hollie_Rollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 01:26 PM   #140
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

SD43 so uncomfortable

Quote:
The op is correct, the SD43 is uncomfortable for a select group of people because it has a more pronounced casebook than any other Rolex, even the Deepsea.
The Deepsea's caseback protrudes less and is a larger surface diameter to spread the load, no issues for me.

It's been well documented by many owners here. The SD 116600 has a similar caseback, but the watch is smaller so there's less pressing unto the owners wrist.

Sorry to hear the SD43 doesn't suit you as it's such a beautiful and classic reference, but you are not alone, search the forum you'll see many owners complain of this, if it bothers you so suddenly after purchasing, it's only going to get worse. I would take advantage of the return policy immediately if possible.
Good luck.

Here’s a picture from https://www.minus4plus6.com/SD43.php

SD43 on top, SD4000 (116600) on bottom

~ Sheldon