The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 7 January 2009, 07:14 AM   #1
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
luminor hand wind question.

hello to all friends here at TRF..I have yet to handle a Luminor in person and so do not know exactly how its very unusual looking crown-lock works..I'd really appreciate if someone could show pictorially how it is opened and whether the crown is still screwed down under thye lock device or is ut then only a push in crown..thnx a lot..

oh and also, which was actually my intention of asking, how easy/comfortable is it to have to wind your luminors that are hand-wound wuth that unusual locking device...is it a nuisance for hand wind models..thnx once again

p.s. I have seen a screw on it and am assuming it has to be unscrewed with a screw opener...I feel very childish with my lack of knowledge of this working
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2009, 07:59 AM   #2
JF23
"TRF" Member

It's quite simple. One just pulls open the crown guard arm (pictured below in the open position) and winds. No unscrewing of the crown necessary, it is ready to go as soon as the arm is in the open position.

It's really easy to wind them, only PITA is you don't get a full revolution of the crown with each wind because the crown guard prevent this. So to achieve a fully wound watch from dead requires for me about 60-70 winds. I have the clear case back so I usually just flip it over and watch the movement as I wind, really cool to see.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

JF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2009, 09:31 AM   #3
brainbizz

The crown guard was actually designed to also be wound in the locked position for diving purposes.
brainbizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2009, 10:50 AM   #4
JF23
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbizz View Post
The crown guard was actually designed to also be wound in the locked position for diving purposes.
Interesting, didn't know that. Every time I've seen that question asked on paneristi the issue of damaging the seal comes up when somebody asks about winding with crown guard closed. Makes sense what you say about diving, but wouldn't you just wind up before going in the water?

General consensus seems to be winding with crown guard closed once in a while is okay, but one shouldn't make a habit of it. Would like to know a definitive answer though.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/35339...n+lock+closed-

http://www.network54.com/Forum/35339...h+Crown+Locked

http://www.network54.com/Forum/353391/thread/1173732557/ok%2C+just+a+quick%2C+dumb+question----

http://www.network54.com/Forum/35339...age+the+watch-
JF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2009, 11:36 AM   #5
brainbizz

Just know what I read possibly in one of the books about the history of Panerai. It seems to make sense and I have done it several times.
Old 7 January 2009, 11:40 AM   #6
brainbizz

Interesting threads I will search for my source.
Old 7 January 2009, 12:35 PM   #7
Launch Mini
"TRF" Member

Watch: can I?
Actually the lever was designed so the diver would know that the locking mechanism was in fact engaged.
On screw down watches, they could not easily tell & water would seep in & damage the watch.

Member # 293
Launch Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 January 2009, 12:53 PM   #8
brainbizz

I only am repeating what I have read and i will do some digging for the source. What i read was that the crown guard was obviously designed to ensure that the crown was pushed in and water tight. It was also designed to be wound in that position so that the watch would remain water tight and there is no risk of altering the time. This makes sense to me for obvious reasons; however , this may indeed wear out the seals quicker I do not know.
Old 7 January 2009, 01:11 PM   #9
Nica64
"TRF" Member

Very interesting and good to know for future Pam owners....... like me

Thanks everyone very good information!!
Old 7 January 2009, 08:52 PM   #10
asadtiger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tissot PRX
thnx a lot guys for all the information and replies...but I kind of have a new question now...if it is only a push-out-by-hand lever, does it not become loose after a while of constant/daily pushing out and in for hand-wound models? I mean what one plans with such tough watches is years of service so five to six hundred times of pushing in and out in two years seems a lot of pressing for a lever..makes me get a rather insecure feeling about that lever now..I like/feel secure with screw down systems..just asking and discussing my little thoughts...please share your own experiences gents..thnx a lot :)
asadtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 July 2022, 05:41 PM   #11
thewolfofmiddlesex
"TRF" Member

Old thread but just came across this. I'm assuming you shouldn't wind the crown with the level in the locked position. I'd have thought the lever is pushing the crown into washer (that's the resistance you feel) to make it water tight. Surely winding it in this position would wear on the washer which will long-term a/wear the washer effecting water resistance b/wear the washer making the lever feel loose.
Just my thoughts.
Be kind. Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
thewolfofmiddlesex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 July 2022, 12:32 AM   #12
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolfofmiddlesex View Post
Old thread but just came across this. I'm assuming you shouldn't wind the crown with the level in the locked position. I'd have thought the lever is pushing the crown into washer (that's the resistance you feel) to make it water tight. Surely winding it in this position would wear on the washer which will long-term a/wear the washer effecting water resistance b/wear the washer making the lever feel loose.
Just my thoughts.

Yes, do not try to wind the crown with the crown cam lock engaged.
There are many reasons not to do this but one of the most obvious reasons it will add unnecessary wear to the gasket in its compressed position with the cam lock closed.
Old 18 July 2022, 03:01 PM   #13
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i have seen some people use the crown guard to push the crown to position 0

i do not do this. i push it in manually. i do not trust that crown guard
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote