The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 August 2022, 01:01 PM   #31
qrc36
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
so you got a nautilus and aquanaut already plus a grand comp but you cant get a calatrava ? damn seems like a super tough environment to buy watches in
They don't make the traditional Calatravas in sufficient quantities, even before Covid-19.

I was on the waiting list for the 5196G and R since 2017 and could not get one from my AD, despite getting the 5212A and 5164A (with less than 6 months wait plus a blue rubber strap for the 5650) in 2019 and having purchased 3-4 dress watches per year in 2017/2018/2019/2020.

Their answer was because they didn't get any deliveries of 5196G/R at all after 2017, and they said there was no reason why they would not sell me one if they got one!

I also went to all of the ADs near my office (there are 5 ADs within 2-3 minutes walking distance of each other), left my business card and begged them to call me if they received the 5196G or R. Visited them often but no news at all from 2018 to 2020.

I called up all of the ADs whenever I travelled (within Asia, and also in Europe and in the US) but nobody seemed to have them, apart from an AD in Bangkok which had the 5196J (but I want the G and R).

I ended up getting the 5196G in Singapore on a holiday in mid-2019 but I still wanted the 5196R.

Eventually, in the end of 2020 my AD received the 5196R, which was their first 5196 (of any metal) since 2017. I was over the moon and my sales associate said I looked happier than clients who picked up the 5711.

Now of course my AD could have been lying to me (perhaps a big whale also wanted one and was in front of me in the queue), but I don't think the 5196G/R is the most popular Patek out there. I actually do believe that Patek just didn't make them in big quantities.
qrc36 is offline   Reply With Quote