The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 6 August 2022, 07:52 AM   #1
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
Patek 2551 R for first patek? Pics included.

Hi All, this patek 2551R caught my eye. I'm in the market for a 5127 or a 5107, but this one caught my eye and I like the 36mm case. Any thoughts on this particular example?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg patek 2551 #1.JPG (38.1 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg patek 2551 #2.JPG (64.6 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg patek 2551 #3.JPG (39.5 KB, 283 views)
File Type: jpg patek 2551 #4.JPG (135.0 KB, 285 views)
File Type: jpg patek 2551 #5.JPG (105.0 KB, 283 views)
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 09:06 AM   #2
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Patek 2551 R for first patek? Pics included.

I chose a 5119 manual wind and think the one you’re eyeing is just as nice if the price fits your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 12:13 PM   #3
vitalsigns
"TRF" Member

Vintage can be a bit of a minefield. My guess is that those hour and minute hands are not original, nor is the crown. I have no ability to assess the movement, and you probably don't either -- not so much for originality but for functionality. Patek can fix any of its vintage watches, but the price to do so for vintage watches can be quite high. Same for routine service, I believe.

Anyway, vintage Pateks are lovely watches, but go into it with eyes wide open.

The 5127s and 5107s are not rare watches, but they do seem to have found more permanent homes and don't seem to come up for sale as often as just a few years ago. They are also creeping up a bit in price, moreso the 5127 than the 5017. They are great, under-the-radar Pateks. The 5127G was my first Patek and it's still a joy on the wrist.

Good luck!
vitalsigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 04:17 PM   #4
ts3
"TRF" Member

If you like 2551 you might also consider 5032J which has a similar case, lugs, and size but a 240 micro rotor movement. I'd feel a lot more comfortable getting a 20y old Patek than a nearly 70y old Patek if it was my first.

As you are also looking at 5107 and 5127 - the black dial 5107P is one of my favorite Calatravas.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 04:57 PM   #5
Incroyable12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalsigns View Post
Vintage can be a bit of a minefield. My guess is that those hour and minute hands are not original, nor is the crown. I have no ability to assess the movement, and you probably don't either -- not so much for originality but for functionality. Patek can fix any of its vintage watches, but the price to do so for vintage watches can be quite high. Same for routine service, I believe.

Anyway, vintage Pateks are lovely watches, but go into it with eyes wide open.

The 5127s and 5107s are not rare watches, but they do seem to have found more permanent homes and don't seem to come up for sale as often as just a few years ago. They are also creeping up a bit in price, moreso the 5127 than the 5017. They are great, under-the-radar Pateks. The 5127G was my first Patek and it's still a joy on the wrist.

Good luck!
The markers seem to be lumed as are those dauphine hands so they may well be original.

However that crown is a replacement crown. The 2551 should have the big double P crown.
Incroyable12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 August 2022, 08:27 PM   #6
jfriedkin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, PP
As a vintage collector, you have an amazing watch. The hands and markers are indeed original and lumed. The dial has taken on a bit of patina (discoloration) which I like. And in Rose gold!! Albeit the crown is a replacement crown, you are now able to have this watch serviced by PP in Geneva and they will replace the crown with an original PP crown. I have one of my 2551 in for service currently.

This watch has the 12-600at movement. In my opinion the most beautiful movement Patek has ever produced. Your movement looks very clean and crisp. Many watches from this era have movement with a great deal on tarnish and brassing.

You have a GREAT piece. Talk to my friends at AlexCrown for straps. They will custom make you the most beautiful strap(s). I have 4 different straps for my 2551 which will make the watch different with each strap.

Enjoy this watch, it is a real keeper!
jfriedkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2022, 01:06 AM   #7
pk552502
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16570 black
Thanks for the feedback guys. I haven't purchased the watch yet, but I'm considering it. The 5032 does look nice and I may be better off going for a newer watch for my first patek.

How is patek with keeping their watches original during service? For Rolex, you don't want to send a vintage watch in for service since they may want to replace the dial and hands. Is Patek the same way? Or are they fine with leaving the dial and hands original during a service?
pk552502 is offline   Reply With Quote