The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 29 July 2022, 06:36 PM   #31
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Not sure if it would have been much easier to trade a 5164 towards a 5711 blue in this market. Neither seem to be flying off the shelf and if anything dealers are cash strapped but not looking to add inventory.
Yes I think your right. One major grey in London who doesn’t have a 5711 in their inventory was not interested whatsoever and didn't get as far as values etc it was a straight dismissal for a part exchange.

I guess they are panicking as have a lot of stock whilst market is dipping
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 07:09 PM   #32
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Dealers only want an extremely good deal for themselves these days. Like super lowball offers even if they were to put an offer for the watch. All the chest thumping about how resilient the market is ….
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 July 2022, 11:09 PM   #33
Partekular
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=bp1000;12290297

Also likely these models will be replaced imminently, before you manage to get one.

.[/QUOTE]

How sure are you about this? Where did you hear or see it?
Partekular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2022, 04:07 PM   #34
DJ4
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
How hard is it to get an Aquanaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
Dealers only want an extremely good deal for themselves these days. Like super lowball offers even if they were to put an offer for the watch. All the chest thumping about how resilient the market is ….

Agree, spreads are very high.

Buyers are more and more confident prices will continue to drop so they bid low.

Sellers ask prices are high and there’s less trades volumes because of it.
DJ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 August 2022, 04:32 PM   #35
kultschar
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP & Rolex
Its nuts. As somebody after a 5164 ive seen 40-50k GBP£ differences between grey dealers
kultschar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2022, 01:21 AM   #36
PVR
"TRF" Member

Came across this thread as a dealer who was just offered a 5167 from a good customer looking to buy a 5164. I am shopping the 5167 to dealers in the NY area and the offer prices are absurd. You are all correct, no one is looking to lay out any money for even the most desirable models unless it is 30% below market. This is a good time to be a buyer, but prices are still well above MSRP.

If I can't get him a fair offer he is going to just keep it. My advice to you retail customers is to find the right watch (condition, year, B&P) and lowball the hell out of sellers. You aren't looking to make friends, you are looking to get a good deal and dealers are sitting on so much inventory that you may just catch them on a day they need to sell something...
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2022, 04:08 AM   #37
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

OP, if you really want an aqua and not a relationship or multiple Patek... as alluded to you might save time, money, headache, and hair just going to grey dealer of choice and negotiating with them since their inventory is standing water right now

Great time to be a buyer (still above MSRP on secondary markets by a fair margin but down what nearly 50% from the highs), hard time to be a seller
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2022, 04:11 AM   #38
sampelligrino
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
Im struggled to even get grey dealers interested in a part exchange with my Nautilus for a 5164 variant. Guess Aquas are hotter then ever
This was my experience as well, which is crazy to me

Dealers are holding Nautilus at a still very very high ask in the market, but for trade-in low balling at the same time since stuff doesn't seem to be moving

Ultimately moved my 2 Nauts (and a Daytona) privately and did much better.... got a 5164a and very happy with the "downgrade" for a do-it-all one watch
sampelligrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 09:53 AM   #39
Gardensvi
"TRF" Member

I picked up a 5164 a few years ago and haven’t worn my 5726 since. It’s a great watch and such a better and more comfortable pick over the hype Nautilus pieces, which honestly can be difficult to read often
Gardensvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 11:08 AM   #40
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardensvi View Post
I picked up a 5164 a few years ago and haven’t worn my 5726 since. It’s a great watch and such a better and more comfortable pick over the hype Nautilus pieces, which honestly can be difficult to read often
100%. I never liked my 5711 (appearance, clasp), sold it and got a 5164A. Love it, never looked back.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2022, 01:21 PM   #41
Jlamb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardensvi View Post
Same here, love my 5164a, on my wrist 90% of the time if I am not wearing my gshock. I think I have worn my 5712 once so far this year.
Jlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 03:57 AM   #42
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
If you could take a time machine and go back 10 years, the 5167A and 5164A would be reasonable with a short wait. As of today, there are too many flippers for ADs to take a chance at a newcomer with these pieces. Granted a lot of people with history with an AD will flip these for a profit as well.
Ten years? Weren't we still in "hold out for discount" territory on the Aquanaut then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCP View Post
I got mine on 2018 after 6 months wait with just an old history…
but Happy w my collection
Only a true @$$hole wouldn't be happy with your collection
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 August 2022, 04:05 AM   #43
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR View Post
Came across this thread as a dealer who was just offered a 5167 from a good customer looking to buy a 5164. I am shopping the 5167 to dealers in the NY area and the offer prices are absurd. You are all correct, no one is looking to lay out any money for even the most desirable models unless it is 30% below market. This is a good time to be a buyer, but prices are still well above MSRP.

If I can't get him a fair offer he is going to just keep it. My advice to you retail customers is to find the right watch (condition, year, B&P) and lowball the hell out of sellers. You aren't looking to make friends, you are looking to get a good deal and dealers are sitting on so much inventory that you may just catch them on a day they need to sell something...
Sounds like the best connected secondary market dealers will take more of a "broker" role going forward, setting up deals for individuals but never truly "underwriting" the transactions.

When I traded a watch about 18mos ago dealer flat told me he'd likely be able to get me more if I left it with him on consignment (since his risk substantially mitigated). However that's hard when waiting to swap watch-for-watch.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote