The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 13 May 2017, 11:50 PM   #1
jar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Samsung Gear S3
How far does "OLD" go?

Using a fountain pen these days is certainly a throwback to another generation. Writing on paper is, so yesterday.

But what other things might you secretly be doing?

How many of you still shave with a single blade (either straight edge, Double Edge or injector)?
jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 12:35 AM   #2
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I have often thought about switching back to the blade razor and order some from Harry's online, but my Norelco is just to convenient.

I can shave while I am doing other things so going back to a blade razor would cost me some time.

What are you using Jim? Straight blade or double safety?
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 01:32 AM   #3
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
I have often thought about switching back to the blade razor and order some from Harry's online, but my Norelco is just to convenient.

I can shave while I am doing other things so going back to a blade razor would cost me some time.

What are you using Jim? Straight blade or double safety?
DEs. Today was my 1963 Gillette adjustable slim using Tabac soap, a badger brush and followed up with some Pinaud Clubman aftershave. All but the razor just traditional old barbershop standards.

I went through electric razors several times over the years but always return pretty quickly to the safeties. I have several hand-me-downs from my dad as well as ones I've bought over the years. My last Gillette was back in 1970 though. Still one of my favorites.
Old 14 May 2017, 04:52 PM   #4
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Watch: Air King/Seamaster
I just switched to a DE from a mach 3 and i love it. I've used a brush and a variety of soaps/creams since i started shaving and a DE was something i alwaya wanted to try. Now i have, i doubt i will be switching back.

Along side the closeness, I'm a huge fan of the ritual that comes with using it. Shaving has become a time of relaxation as I'm forced to tune out the rest of the world and focus on what I'm doing.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk
NewEnthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 09:16 PM   #5
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnthusiast View Post
I just switched to a DE from a mach 3 and i love it. I've used a brush and a variety of soaps/creams since i started shaving and a DE was something i alwaya wanted to try. Now i have, i doubt i will be switching back.

Along side the closeness, I'm a huge fan of the ritual that comes with using it. Shaving has become a time of relaxation as I'm forced to tune out the rest of the world and focus on what I'm doing.

Great. What razor do you have? Have you tried the Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving soaps and creams?
Old 15 May 2017, 06:01 AM   #6
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Using a fatboy DE razor here.
Old 15 May 2017, 06:33 AM   #7
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
Great. What razor do you have? Have you tried the Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving soaps and creams?
I think the razor is shaveology. I'm a huge fan of Taylors. During the winter i usually use their sandalwood soap in a cedar bowl along with one of their brushes. In the summer i usually stick to palmolive cream. Have you tried their victorian limes or their number 74 aftershaves? Both are personal favourites of mine

Old 15 May 2017, 06:54 AM   #8
THC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
I still, and always will, have a flip phone.. I have a computer at home, work, but refuse to have one in my pocket.
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 07:47 AM   #9
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
I still, and always will, have a flip phone.. I have a computer at home, work, but refuse to have one in my pocket.
My Motorola StarTac finally died about a year ago and batteries are no longer available.

I miss it.
Old 15 May 2017, 07:48 AM   #10
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think the razor is shaveology. I'm a huge fan of Taylors. During the winter i usually use their sandalwood soap in a cedar bowl along with one of their brushes. In the summer i usually stick to palmolive cream. Have you tried their victorian limes or their number 74 aftershaves? Both are personal favourites of mine

I use their Lime shave cream as well as Eton College & Mr Taylor but only Eton College aftershave.
Old 15 May 2017, 07:51 AM   #11
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al1969 View Post
Using a fatboy DE razor here.
A great razor. I had a Fatboy but I haven't seen it in decades. Who knows, it may still show up one day.
Old 15 May 2017, 09:43 AM   #12
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
I have a vintage Norelco with a cord (non-recharable) that shaves like a dream!

I believe I qualify as old!
Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2017, 12:59 PM   #13
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
A great razor. I had a Fatboy but I haven't seen it in decades. Who knows, it may still show up one day.
Yes it is Jim. The fatboy is part of a rotation that includes 2 Merkurs and a Black beauty. I have tried TOBS creams, but I stick with Proraso or some of the creams from AOS(Art of Shaving).
Old 15 May 2017, 05:41 PM   #14
Formulansx
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Omega,Seiko
I've often thought about going to a straight razor mostly because they work, but if I go beyond a 0 gaurd, I breakout so it's 0 for now.
Day-Date President, Datejust (flipped), Bluesy 16613, Omega 14kt Seamaster, Seiko Cocktail Time, Seiko Alpinist, REC 901-2 (Porsche 911), REC TTT Escape (Steve McQueen Triumph). A few Bulovas, cars, and fountain pens
Formulansx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2017, 10:37 PM   #15
jar
"TRF" Member

Today was my Dad's post war Gillette Aristocrat from 1948 or 1949. Still one of the prettiest razors I own and I don't think he used it much because it still has an unused period correct 20 blade pack in the box.

If it's not too hot (calling for 100+ and 40MPH winds) today I'll try to get some pictures.
Old 17 May 2017, 12:47 AM   #16
jar
"TRF" Member

The 1948-49 Gillette Aristocrat

Old 17 May 2017, 01:51 AM   #17
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
The bay rum is a necessity in my house.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
Old 17 May 2017, 06:49 PM   #18
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 1948-49 Gillette Aristocrat

That's beautiful.

Any suggestions on where I can get replacement blades? I'm coming to the end of the ones I got with the razor.
Old 17 May 2017, 09:02 PM   #19
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's beautiful.

Any suggestions on where I can get replacement blades? I'm coming to the end of the ones I got with the razor.
I'm not in the UK but blades are readily available online.

The Shave Lounge.

The Shave Shack.

Connaught Shaving.

That should get you started.
Old 17 May 2017, 09:16 PM   #20
NewEnthusiast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I'm not in the UK but blades are readily available online.

The Shave Lounge.

The Shave Shack.

Connaught Shaving.

That should get you started.
Thanks!
Old 24 May 2017, 07:49 AM   #21
jar
"TRF" Member

So I decided to get a replacement for the MIA FatBoy figuring as soon as the replacement got here the original would show up.

Well, kinda.

Still no sign of the missing FatBoy but the replacement arrived...

... and I did find a small box with a bunch of old Schick Kronas that cleaned up nicely.

from left:late 1970s model Schick Krona; 1950 Gillette Super Speed; 1960s Schick Krona, 1970 Gillette Black Handle Super Speed

It's likely the Schick Krona was a deliberate attempt to look like the older Gillette Super Speed Flare line and the later Gillette Black Handle Super Speed made to look like the Krona.
Old 27 May 2017, 09:19 PM   #22
jmiicustomz
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1953 pre explorer
I use a lot of vintage "boomsticks", use fountain pens when I can (use triple carbon copy paper at work all day so bp is the way to go,) and shave with these. Oh and I am only 32.

To know the future is to be trapped by it
jmiicustomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 01:13 AM   #23
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Hi THC and guys - sorry for the side comment here on antiquated cell phones... I resisted also, but my flip cell died forcing me (kicking and screaming) to get more modern.

I bought a smartphone which, unbeknown to me at that time, became my life line to monitor weather status and phone contact during Hurricane Matthew. My TV dish and phone landline was damaged, so couldn't get internet, weather broadcasts, or use desk phone. Power was done for many days. I charged the phone in the vehicle, every few hours.

I know all damaging environmental situations have different impacts, but since I was the only person in my immediate area at the time, my cell phone was a God send. I keep it with me virtually everywhere I go... just in case.

However, I am not on any sort of social media - except here at TRF forum. Love it here.
Enjoy this thread...
Thanks. DM
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 04:01 PM   #24
vintage69
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 p date
I have used a MERKER razor and a badger brush for over 40 yrs. I once used a NORELCO electric razor but could not obtain a shave matching the shave I obtained using my MERKER. Jar, great collection. I also admire your fountain pen collection. Every gentleman should own a least one fountain pen.
vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2017, 10:02 PM   #25
jar
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage69 View Post
I have used a MERKER razor and a badger brush for over 40 yrs. I once used a NORELCO electric razor but could not obtain a shave matching the shave I obtained using my MERKER. Jar, great collection. I also admire your fountain pen collection. Every gentleman should own a least one fountain pen.
I really hate calling either a collection since that implies intent, consideration and plan. Unfortunately both are more the result of growing up in a hand-me-down packrat "I'll need that some day" environment that resulted in accumulations. I do have a couple Merkurs and in fact used one just the other day; a long handle 23C. The other Merkur is a 34C HD. Another modern razor that somehow got 'cumulated is an Edwin Jagger DE89LBL. Need to get pictures of them someday.
Old 29 May 2017, 01:52 AM   #26
jar
"TRF" Member

Sun came out so here are the modern razors.

Old 29 May 2017, 05:33 PM   #27
vintage69
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1969 p date
Quote:
I really hate calling either a collection since that implies intent, consideration and plan. Unfortunately both are more the result of growing up in a hand-me-down packrat "I'll need that some day" environment that resulted in accumulations. I do have a couple Merkurs and in fact used one just the other day; a long handle 23C. The other Merkur is a 34C HD. Another modern razor that somehow got 'cumulated is an Edwin Jagger DE89LBL. Need to get pictures of them someday.
Sorry, I will then refer to your amassing as accumulation. Great accumulation.
vintage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2017, 01:38 AM   #28
jar
"TRF" Member

One of the very first books I was given as a child was Up Front; the collection of Bill Mauldin's Willie & Joe WWII cartoons. I learned to color using those black and white pictures and over the decades have worn out at least three copies. It's a book I still pull out regularly to learn just a little more.

Last week I was rummaging and came across some WWII Gillette Camouflage blades from the 4th quarter 1944 and so decided I'd give one a try. I pull out a 1930s Gillette NEW LC as an appropriate period correct razor and loaded one of the blades and gave it a try this morning.

Willie, Joe, I understand. That blade sucked. It pulled and tugged and tore and teased each and every hair. If the folk back home had been forced to use those blades the war would have ended years sooner.
Old 2 June 2017, 03:51 AM   #29
Donaldkrama
Banned

Really, blades make you curse. Anyone ever noticed that?
Donaldkrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 03:33 PM   #30
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Quote:
One of the very first books I was given as a child was Up Front; the collection of Bill Mauldin's Willie & Joe WWII cartoons. I learned to color using those black and white pictures and over the decades have worn out at least three copies. It's a book I still pull out regularly to learn just a little more.

Last week I was rummaging and came across some WWII Gillette Camouflage blades from the 4th quarter 1944 and so decided I'd give one a try. I pull out a 1930s Gillette NEW LC as an appropriate period correct razor and loaded one of the blades and gave it a try this morning.

Willie, Joe, I understand. That blade sucked. It pulled and tugged and tore and teased each and every hair. If the folk back home had been forced to use those blades the war would have ended years sooner.
Jar: that is funny^^^, true and funny....
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote