The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex Watch Reviews

Old 28 April 2016, 03:45 PM   #1
emkwan
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116710 BLNR
Icon20 Buying My First Rolex (Vlog)

Hi guys!

So I posted up my unboxing and first impressions video of the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114300 Rhodium dial on the forum and it got encouraging feedback. Thank you!

I love the watch and feel Rolex is actually a well made product. However, the buying experience in the local AD wasn't the experience I was hoping for. What was yours like?!

Last edited by emkwan; 28 April 2016 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: repeating information.
emkwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2016, 03:56 PM   #2
Ar_Mi
"TRF" Member

Watch: a few
Nice watch, I really these new oyster prepetuals. I think 39mm is the sweet spot.. I've ran into your vid before.. maybe it was recommended because I live in Dubai. Anyways enjoy in good health buddy
Ar_Mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2016, 04:25 PM   #3
TickTopia
2024 Pledge Member

Great watch! Im sorry to hear about your experience at the Rolex boutique. They can sometimes be a bit of a hit or a miss. Nevertheless, your a great content creator and I have just subscribed to your channel.
TickTopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2016, 05:56 PM   #4
emkwan
Banned

Watch: Rolex 116710 BLNR
Thank you very much for the kind comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TickTopia View Post
Great watch! Im sorry to hear about your experience at the Rolex boutique. They can sometimes be a bit of a hit or a miss. Nevertheless, your a great content creator and I have just subscribed to your channel.
emkwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2016, 02:41 PM   #5
pa30crewchief
"TRF" Member

Bought a GMT Master II from 11670 LN at Bucherer in Berlin on a business trip. The saleslady was super friendly and water and champagne was offered. Not too knowledgeable about the piece but I knew what I wanted; it was also the only GMT in all of Berlin and they had kindly set aside the GMT for me on a phone call. At check out she filled out all the VAT forms and in the inconspicuous "Bucherer" store bag added a gift of Laurent-Perrier champagne. Minor gripe is that she insisted on removing protective plastic off the watch. If it was going into my GMT collection or as a gift this would have been aggravating. But I wore it out the store and that was that. Pretty much the experience I expected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
pa30crewchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2016, 08:15 AM   #6
rolexamateur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkwan View Post
Hi guys!

So I posted up my unboxing and first impressions video of the Rolex Oyster Perpetual 114300 Rhodium dial on the forum and it got encouraging feedback. Thank you!

I love the watch and feel Rolex is actually a well made product. However, the buying experience in the local AD wasn't the experience I was hoping for. What was yours like?!
I went to multiple ADs before buying my rolex. I went to even very large ADs in major capitols. Most of them were just arrogant and did not know anything about the product they were selling.

One example: I asked the saleslady how accurate the watch was. Her answer: "if you want an accurate watch buy quartz".... unbelievable.

Another example: dumb chick, huge diamond rings on her fingers, as if she paid for those herself... My goodness. Those people act as if they are anything more then just salespersons...

Now I found a small AD that is family run, they are ok. But forget about most ADs.... simply unbelievable. But Rolex are still nice watches... :)

Me personally I found the watch you bought too plain, not "shiny" enough. I bought a GMT-master II, it has a little bit more functions, and the legibility is better, and the price is still ok.
rolexamateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 05:33 AM   #7
philippe123
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexamateur View Post
I went to multiple ADs before buying my rolex. I went to even very large ADs in major capitols. Most of them were just arrogant and did not know anything about the product they were selling.

One example: I asked the saleslady how accurate the watch was. Her answer: "if you want an accurate watch buy quartz".... unbelievable.

Another example: dumb chick, huge diamond rings on her fingers, as if she paid for those herself... My goodness. Those people act as if they are anything more then just salespersons...

Now I found a small AD that is family run, they are ok. But forget about most ADs.... simply unbelievable. But Rolex are still nice watches... :)

Me personally I found the watch you bought too plain, not "shiny" enough. I bought a GMT-master II, it has a little bit more functions, and the legibility is better, and the price is still ok.
But what she said is true though....if you want a watch that is accurate you buy a quartz.....
A Swiss movement has a 2 sec/day marge. can be even more ...
philippe123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2016, 10:54 AM   #8
MaxTG
"TRF" Member

I'm sure ADs have quite the variety the world over, but here in California, I have never had anything other than helpful, respectful folks behind the counter. I think I've been to six or seven ADs now. They're not all experts, but even in weekend shorts and t-shirt, I've been able to try on any watch, take my time looking, and have a friendly discussion about fine Rolex watches.

No champaign offered anywhere, though. Bottled water suits me just fine.

Quartz is king of accuracy, for sure, some more than others. To me, once you go quartz for accuracy you may as well go all the way to GPS synchronization, solar for power, and enjoy a low-maintenance high-accuracy watch. That's a different product..
MaxTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2016, 04:45 PM   #9
SingaporeSub88
"TRF" Member

A couple of years ago i was ready to buy my first Rolex... After hours and hours of research and web searching I had decided on a Sub (116610)...

Unfortunately i made the mistake of taking my girlfriend to the local AD and when she saw the watch she said it was 'one of the ugliest things she had ever seen'. Needless to say I didn't buy it and after spending many hours searching with her I settled on a JLC ultra thin moon (a beautiful dress watch but not a Rolex).

Not a day goes by that i don't regret making that decision and needless to say the relationship didn't last that much longer! Anyway, i have now decided to take the plunge and actually buy my first Rolex. I joined the forums to find some great deals of which there are plenty... no more AD shopping for me.
SingaporeSub88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2017, 06:01 AM   #10
rolexamateur
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingaporeSub88 View Post
A couple of years ago i was ready to buy my first Rolex... After hours and hours of research and web searching I had decided on a Sub (116610)...

Unfortunately i made the mistake of taking my girlfriend to the local AD and when she saw the watch she said it was 'one of the ugliest things she had ever seen'. Needless to say I didn't buy it and after spending many hours searching with her I settled on a JLC ultra thin moon (a beautiful dress watch but not a Rolex).

Not a day goes by that i don't regret making that decision and needless to say the relationship didn't last that much longer! Anyway, i have now decided to take the plunge and actually buy my first Rolex. I joined the forums to find some great deals of which there are plenty... no more AD shopping for me.
Yeah, you should never do what your girlfriend says! It spells horror! ;)

What did you buy in the end? I would never buy through the internet, your warranty is more then questionable, and who knows what kind of history that watch has.. just my opinion. But then you have to put up with ADs.. that is true.
rolexamateur is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abu dhabi , dubai , rolex , vlog