The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 24 March 2017, 03:04 AM   #1
solocus
"TRF" Member

I guess there is a rule about asking for a value?

So I suppose asking advice on what a Rolex watch is worth and recommendations on how to sell the watch is not allowed in this forum?!? I was just looking for advice to keep from being ripped off.
solocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 03:49 AM   #2
1675-David
"TRF" Member

Maybe you should check the rules... there is a sticky in the General forum. Lots of people look for advice on the vintage board, just make sure you have some decent images
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2017, 04:06 AM   #3
madonofrio
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=263244
Old 25 March 2017, 02:58 AM   #4
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

Post a picture, tell us what you think you know about your watch and you are very likely to get amazing information and input from the members. I learn things every week! Keep an open mind and remember, the better the photos, the better the intel.
Old 25 March 2017, 09:23 PM   #5
andromeda160
Banned

Watch: Rolex Oyster
You can ask how to sell all you want. You can become a pledge member and post it in our Classifieds section, you can utilize ebay, craigslist, sell it locally to a pawn broker or jeweler. Plenty of ways really. Valuations are very subjective and this isn't "therolexbluebookforums". Look at sold listings on ebay and it will give you a good idea of value.
andromeda160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 10:25 PM   #6
solocus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madonofrio View Post
Thanks for posting a link to the rule. I guess this board would get hit with a lot of valuation requests. In all honesty, maybe there should be a section for this. On modern watches it is easy to find a value on ebay or elsewhere but for an older watch that has gone out of style it seems way more difficult. I spent quite a bit of time looking for sold prices not asking prices and I believe i only found one example on ebay. Also i realize one can go to any pawn shop or jeweler and sell a in style modern watch, but an older one becomes more difficult. I'm sure a pawn shop would probably give me scrap value, and who knows that may be the way to go.
solocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 01:01 AM   #7
Toronto Soup King
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by solocus View Post
I guess this board would get hit with a lot of valuation requests. In all honesty, maybe there should be a section for this.
With respect, the board is not a public evaluation service for every Tom, Dick, and Harry that has a watch he thinks might be valuable. If such a forum was opened it would be endlessly spammed with "I found this watch in a drawer here's a blurry picture how much is it worth come on how much come on guys guys come on nobody you guys are dix".

Serious valuations where money is on the line have to be done with the watch in hand - if you don't believe me, talk to the many longtime dealers who make their living selling watches. They won't send you money until they've examined the physical object.

If you want a workaround, IMO the very best way to find out exactly how much a watch is worth is to take one zillion pin-sharp pictures, then put the watch on eBay and then post the auction to sites like these with, "How much do you think this excellent reference 1234 might sell for?" You won't get any useful answers BUT anyone in the market will now be aware of the watch and in the bidding...when the bidding's over, you'll have your answer. Accurate down to the penny and absolutely up to date. Best of luck
Toronto Soup King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 02:15 AM   #8
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
If you are nice and post a cool pic of a nice watch, people discuss price. Usually this occurs naturally in context of condition or originality discussions. If you just ask for the $ your post will grind to a halt due to the rule.
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 03:49 AM   #9
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Also check out watch recon. I know that with some older or more rare references it may not help a lot but you may get lucky. Also will get you a range of asking prices and you may be able to follow until sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 04:29 AM   #10
Cantab
"TRF" Member

Watch: Your 6
Watch Recon search is very good advice. Also, you will soon identify the TRF Trusted Sellers, and their pricing will be a very valid guide to the retail market.

http://www.watchrecon.com
Cantab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 04:38 AM   #11
1675-David
"TRF" Member

What reference are we talking about here?
1675-David is offline   Reply With Quote