The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 March 2017, 02:23 PM   #31
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerische View Post
The M8 was a cropped sensor (not full frame), but CCD vs CMOS is the sensor technology. IMO CCD is far superior what comes to image quality, but CMOS is cheaper to make and draws much less energy. One of the CCD's problems where always image noise at high sensitivity levels (ISO).
I misspoke. I did not have the m8 I had the M-E with the full frame.

Not certain which sensor it used but the images were amazing, however the writing times were painfully slow and I was missing the best shots while the camera was busy writing images to card, very frustrating.
Old 23 March 2017, 04:40 PM   #32
bayerische
"TRF" Member

Watch: Smurf
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post

Not certain which sensor it used but the images were amazing, however the writing times were painfully slow and I was missing the best shots while the camera was busy writing images to card, very frustrating.

The M-E has the same sensor as the M9, CCD.
Old 26 March 2017, 12:13 PM   #33
Gnomon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:
Is it possible to Break it down for me?

I honestly do not know the discussion.

I do know that my first digital M8 took amazing images while the Q is somewhat awful. Is this where the fault lies? They are both full frame.
Google Peter Prosophos for many links to discussion of CMOS vs CCD. Peter is a CCD proponent.

I have both an ME and an M240. I do agree that there is something very special about the CCD files.

(NB: talking about RAW files. Out of camera JPEGs are an abomination and are hereby anathematised.)

However, it's that the CCD 'magic' is largely just an artefact of sensor dynamic range. In theory, one should be able to perfectly replicate the CCD 'look' by applying appropriate curve adjustments in Lightroom to (say) an M240's files. This because CMOS sensors have dynamic range > equivalent CCD for the cameras in question.

I think you will find this might also be your issue with the Q. Learn more about image processing and you might be pleasantly surprised!

I've handled the M10 in store and it feels much better in the hand than the ME and much much better than the M240 (too fat). It feels pretty much like an M3 or MP. Compact, solid, dense, no bloat, and the haptics are spot on. This is very important because so much of using a Leica Rangefinder is about the haptic experience.

I'm keen to acquire one, but think I'll wait for the no red dot release in a year or so.
Old 26 March 2017, 12:18 PM   #34
Gnomon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
Quote:

Right. Leica M cameras before the the M240 do have a vaguely Heath Robinson feel about them. Not a fan of the shutter or the dinky battery. Not to mention the M9/E sensor cracking issues. But (as you say) the images!
Old 8 April 2017, 07:39 PM   #35
luckydog23
"TRF" Member

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

I want to buy a DSLR .But it is the first time to buy and I am very puzzling.Especially after reading the link.
http://thedigitalcamera.net/canon-eo...he-difference/
Can you also give me some suggestions,please?
If someone have advices about it,tell me please.Thank you very much.
luckydog23 is offline   Reply With Quote