The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 25 March 2017, 12:01 PM   #1
BBL
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD-YG/DJ/Breitling
Cancer Detection by Dogs

This is amazing... Dogs detect breast cancer from bandage: researchers

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dogs-dete...190841015.html
BBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 01:09 PM   #2
HoustonRoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 116600
Dogs have been used for cancer detection for awhile. Dogs can smell 10,000 times better than a human. It's actually their primary sense.
I have a retired bomb detection dog. She can find detect minute traces of gunpowder along with other substances. When I say minute, I mean traces that are microscopic.

When we smell a stew cooking for example, we smell stew. A dog smells carrots, onion, meat and all of the other ingredients individually.

Dogs are amazing companions to man. They have served as heroes in many forms since the dawn of time.

Great article. Thanks for sharing!
HoustonRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 01:39 PM   #3
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRoo View Post
Dogs have been used for cancer detection for awhile. Dogs can smell 10,000 times better than a human. It's actually their primary sense.
I have a retired bomb detection dog. She can find detect minute traces of gunpowder along with other substances. When I say minute, I mean traces that are microscopic.

When we smell a stew cooking for example, we smell stew. A dog smells carrots, onion, meat and all of the other ingredients individually.

[I]Dogs are amazing companions to man.[/I] They have served as heroes in many forms since the dawn of time.

Damn straight! Dogs > people all day everyday
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2017, 02:26 PM   #4
East Bay Rider
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710LN
It always just says "now"
Now you may be thinking that I was had
But this watch is never wrong
And if I have trouble the warranty said
Breathe In, Breathe Out, Move On
J. Buffett
Instagram: eastbayrider46
East Bay Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 12:03 AM   #5
SemperFi
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
I was on a cruise years ago when I noticed a man holding and carrying a small dog around the ship. One day we happened to be sitting together at one of the many bars on board and I asked him about the dog, since it was the first time I had seen one on a cruise ship.
He explained that it was a service dog who could detect when his blood/sugar level was dangerously low. Just amazing what our four legged friends can do.
Tudor Ranger 79910
Nomos Club Datum 733
Nomos Metro 38
Stowa Flieger Classic 40

* Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons *
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 12:23 AM   #6
HoustonRoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
I was on a cruise years ago when I noticed a man holding and carrying a small dog around the ship. One day we happened to be sitting together at one of the many bars on board and I asked him about the dog, since it was the first time I had seen one on a cruise ship.
He explained that it was a service dog who could detect when his blood/sugar level was dangerously low. Just amazing what our four legged friends can do.

It's is amazing.

Some friends of ours have a 6 year old son with diabetes. He has a service dog that alerts when his blood sugar is low.

The dog usually alerts 20 minutes before the medical device sensor goes off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 March 2017, 12:33 AM   #7
HoustonRoo
"TRF" Member

I volunteer with a group that re homes retired K9's in my spare time. (Mission K9 Rescue)

I own 3 K9's myself. 2 protection dogs and a retired bomb detection dog.

We foster some of those dogs from time to time for a few nights when I transport them to their new homes.

The dog below is named "Indy." She was a bomb dog for 6 years in Iraq and Afghanistan. We had her overnight while I was transporting her. Pics below.

My wife fell in love with her and was surprised when the dog alerted on a cabinet in my living room and wouldn't move until I gave her a command releasing her. (There's a firearm in there, which caused the dog to alert)

I'm lucky to be around these dogs and am always amazed at what they can do and realize fully how much they contribute to saving lives because I read their folders or hear the stories of their service.

Old 26 March 2017, 12:53 AM   #8
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
+1

The missus and I concur.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 12:53 AM   #9
BBL
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I volunteer with a group that re homes retired K9's in my spare time. (Mission K9 Rescue)

I own 3 K9's myself. 2 protection dogs and a retired bomb detection dog.

We foster some of those dogs from time to time for a few nights when I transport them to their new homes.

The dog below is named "Indy." She was a bomb dog for 6 years in Iraq and Afghanistan. We had her overnight while I was transporting her. Pics below.

My wife fell in love with her and was surprised when the dog alerted on a cabinet in my living room and wouldn't move until I gave her a command releasing her. (There's a firearm in there, which caused the dog to alert)

I'm lucky to be around these dogs and am always amazed at what they can do and realize fully how much they contribute to saving lives because I read their folders or hear the stories of their service.

HoustonRoo
How absolutely wonderful and generous of you to do this. Photos are so telling of how smart and handsome the german shepherds are. Lovely bride you have there, too! Blessings, DM
Old 26 March 2017, 01:09 AM   #10
HoustonRoo
"TRF" Member

Cancer Detection by Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL View Post
HoustonRoo

How absolutely wonderful and generous of you to do this. Photos are so telling of how smart and handsome the german shepherds are. Lovely bride you have there, too! Blessings, DM

Thank you!

It's a privilege to be around those dogs. The dog above is a Belgian Malinois. Very similar to a Shepherd but super drivey and a little smaller.

This is my main dog "Jet" below. He's an East German/Czech Shepherd. His job is being a couch cuddler and keeping the family safe when I am traveling.

Edit to add: sorry for derailing from the cancer dogs. I apologize. Dogs are my sweet spot.

Old 26 March 2017, 01:30 AM   #11
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 01:38 AM   #12
BBL
"TRF" Member

HoustonRoo

Response to your previous post, quote: Thank you!
It's a privilege to be around those dogs. The dog above is a Belgian Malinois. Very similar to a Shepherd but super drivey and a little smaller.
This is my main dog "Jet" below. He's an East German/Czech Shepherd. His job is being a couch cuddler and keeping the family safe when I am traveling.
Edit to add: sorry for derailing from the cancer dogs. I apologize. Dogs are my sweet spot.

Hey, sir, no objection (I am going to digress here, too) - I look at these communications as though we are sitting around the coffee table and having a good, ole friendly chat.
Anything about dogs, I enjoy and marvel at their abilities on so many fronts. The cancer identification is remarkable, as well as low blood sugar, seizures, insects at import docks, ....

from Wikipedia: Detection dogs have been trained to search for many things, both animate and inanimate, including:

-Bed bugs
-Human remains
-Cancer detection
-Drugs
-Endangered animal species (e.g., black-footed ferret) (The Bumblebee -Conservation Trust trained an English Springer Spaniel to detect bee colonies)
-Explosives
-Fire accelerants (e.g., arson investigation)
-Mobile phones (as contraband in prisons)
-Mold
-Plants, animals, produce, and agricultural items (used by customs services)
-Termites
-Wildlife scat
-Gourmet Fungi, such as Truffles, both French Black Truffles (Tuber melanosporum) and Italian White Truffles (Tuber magnatum pico), and chanterelles (Cantharellus cibarius), "porcini" (Boletus edulis), morels (Morchella esculenta), and the several varieties of mushroom that, when parasitized by Hypomyces lactifluorum are known as "Lobster mushroom"

I am sorry I did not properly identify the breed Belgian Malinois - gorgeous dog, and is yours, who means 'business'....

And incidentally, If you haven't seen this video, please visit to entertain your 'sweet spot'
https://www.youtube.com/embed/SJoE_lNQdHU DM
Old 26 March 2017, 01:41 AM   #13
bdex75
"TRF" Member

Watch: my money vanish
Dogs are amazing animals. And it is amazing what they can be trained to do/sense. Our standard poodle was being trained to be a seizure dog. Trained to alert her owner when she (owner) was about to have a seizure so she could prepare. Her old owner had to move into a nursing home and could not keep her for some reason. I will turn her into a bird dog.

bdex75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 01:52 AM   #14
BBL
"TRF" Member

bdex75
Sorry to hear that the lady could not keep the dog, probably liability and no policy in place to include a dog. I guess the elderly lady will just have seizures, then?...

The poodle is a pal - love the hat! DM
Old 26 March 2017, 02:43 AM   #15
Steven Andrew
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ref 15000 OP Date.
My dog who I rescued and bottle fed from 3 weeks old has always been very close to me. When I was constantly feeling ill just over 12 months ago, I did notice he was more affectionate and possessive of me..
Soon after I was diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia. It may have been coincidence but I truly believe looking back now, he knew something was amiss.
Dogs are awesome.
Steven Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 03:13 AM   #16
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Richard Dawkins wrote about the extraordinary smell of dogs. I don't remember all of the latin names of the proteins, but dogs can distinguish similar, but different, proteins that are one or two atoms different. An extraordinary ability.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 04:57 AM   #17
HoustonRoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus49 View Post
Richard Dawkins wrote about the extraordinary smell of dogs. I don't remember all of the latin names of the proteins, but dogs can distinguish similar, but different, proteins that are one or two atoms different. An extraordinary ability.

Very true! It's incredible.

Dog can also literally smell fear. Your body releases a pheromone or some type of scent when you're in fear. A dog picks it up instantly. (Along with body language which dogs really respond to more than verbal cues)

We had a vet tech that got bitten by a Malinois bomb dog because he was afraid of the dog. The dog responded to his fear which to a dog signals that you're up to something bad...

They can literally smell a substance even if there are only micron levels present.

Old 26 March 2017, 09:31 AM   #18
Relyt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer ii
Quote:

Dogs are amazing companions to man. They have served as heroes in many forms since the dawn of time.

Exactly what he said. Every time I watch my partner work, it blows my mind.... even though I know how it works lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2005 Explorer ii 16570T
Relyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 09:52 AM   #19
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
I've spent my entire life living with German Shepherds, and I don't intend ever changing. Mine aren't trained for anything much more useful than making me laugh though. This is Taittinger...female, long-haired, and quite the mademoiselle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0013.JPG (137.1 KB, 55 views)

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 11:10 AM   #20
waQstar
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16760
Awesome thread..
Old 26 March 2017, 11:29 AM   #21
HoustonRoo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
I've spent my entire life living with German Shepherds, and I don't intend ever changing. Mine aren't trained for anything much more useful than making me laugh though. This is Taittinger...female, long-haired, and quite the mademoiselle.

She is stunning! What a beautiful girl!

Old 26 March 2017, 01:23 PM   #22
droptopman
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBS and GMT's!
Cancer Detection by Dogs

Awesome thread. I Love dogs. Ours are not trained for anything other than making us laugh a lot.
Recent pic of the girls

Dogs are amazing creatures and a true gift from the Gods.
Ty: By height.
droptopman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2017, 03:49 PM   #23
Chronoseeker
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss 116400GV
I met a fellow while standing in line at the pharmacy and he happened to be holding his small dog in his arms. We got to talking and he told me he was diabetic and that his little buddy was a working service dog although the dog wore no vest and had no info stating he was working. Often the reason for the red vest service dogs wear is so they can display patches requesting they not be petted because they are working and also that they are working in the first place. This fellow went on to explain that the dog can alert him when his blood sugar has gotten dangerously low and attention must be paid to a remedy for the situation. I said wow, that's amazing. He said, yeah, he has saved my life several times by alerting others to information he carries when he can't communicate himself. Working dogs of this nature can not be banned from aircraft, restaurants or other places where their services are necessary. Only if they are disruptive to others can they be removed. Very cool I thought !
Chronoseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2017, 10:17 AM   #24
BBL
"TRF" Member

Hey all....
Thank you for the contributions above... I learned some things, and enjoyed photos of awesome dogs that captured their preciousness!!. DM