The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 21 March 2015, 01:28 PM   #1
Cesium133
"TRF" Member

Casio MDV 106-1A: Amazing Diver for $38 (pic heavy)

Just picked up this diver and wanted to share my thoughts. It's a Casio MDV 106-1A and can be purchased online for as low as $38. It's an amazing value.

BASIC INFO
-Casio
-Stainless steel
-Quartz movt.
-44.2mm
-Diver's bezel
-Rubber strap
-Screw down case back and crown

FIRST IMPRESSION
The watch feels great in the hands. The finishing is good and everything works as it should. The dial is clean and easily readable. Very light and extremely comfortable on the wrist.

DETAILS W/ PICS
The watch is well proportioned. It has the classic diver look with black dial and black bezel. It has a combination of brushed and polished SS and a 22mm rubber strap that tapers to 20mm with a SS buckle. The hour hand is differentiated from the minute hand by means of an arrow and there is a pip at 12 o'clock. Rubber strap is attractive and well made.
1.jpg

The bezel is great: aluminum with minute markers up to 15 and every 5 minutes thereafter. The bezel clicks 120 times and is sturdy. There is the tiniest amount of play in it but it hits the mark every time. The dial is beautiful. Combination of round and rectangular hour markers with date feature at 3'oclock. The hour marker at 12 o'clock compliments the angle of the triangle on the bezel as well as the arrow on the hour hand. The hands are sporty and look like they belong on the dial. The red in the second hand is a nice, small detail. Can't go wrong with black, white, and red color scheme. The picture of the Marlin is a nod to the watch's desire to be in the water. Speaking of which, the depth rating is 200m. The words Japan Mov't are written at 6 o'clock.
2.jpg

Another angle of the dial and bezel. The minute markers are printed along the rehaut instead of the dial which brings depth into the dial. The crystal is mineral, flat, and has no AR coating. The small hour marker and white box around the date works well to balance the dial. There is a sunburst effect as well. It's a simple, clean look with a bit of character in the details.
3.jpg

The case is a solid block of stainless steel. The top of the lugs are brushed and there is a slight polished chamfer which leads to a polished side. The rubber strap is 22mm but extends out to 24mm as it clears the lugs. The strap then quickly tapers to 20mm and continues at that length until the end.
4.jpg

A view of the crown side of the watch. The crown is screwed down and operates well. It is just a tad gritty when compared to Rolex or Omega. When pulled out it will hack the movement (regarding the movement...I do not know if it features an end-of-life indicator, but I doubt it does). Crown guards protect the crown. Notice the design of the lugs as they slope downwards and seamlessly transition to the rubber strap.
4a.jpg

The non-crown side. Flat crystal. Good gripping notches on the bezel. Another good picture of the lugs blending into the strap.
5.jpg

More great functionality on the back. Screw down case back. Another picture of a Marlin, this time engraved. The strap offers cut outs at the ends to allow for easy access to the spring bars. Normal info about movement, origin, water depth rating, ect written on back.
6.jpg

A better view of the case back. Notice how the case is cut straight between the lugs to allow for a strap to fit while having a shorter lug length. The shorter lugs help to make the watch wear smaller than its 44.2mm measurements. No extra long lugs sticking out beyond one's wrists.
7.jpg

The buckle is simple. Brushed stainless steel. The keeper works as it should and the strap is secure when latched.
8.jpg

A wrist shot on my 7.75" wrist.
9.jpg

The lume is sufficient. The hour and minute hands glow brighter than everything else. Here it is in low light condition.
10.jpg

Another lume shot. After 30 minutes the lume cannot be captured by picture. However, it is still visible by the naked eye. I have been able to tell the time in the dark after 8 hours when giving the lume a good charge prior to bed.
11.jpg

FINAL THOUGHTS
The Casio MDV 106-1A is a great watch. It's attractive, thoughtfully designed, comfortable, and ridiculously inexpensive. It's a true diver with a 120 click bezel, 200m rating, screw down crown and case back, and easily readable dial. Although it has a classic, simple design, there are many wonderful details that bring additional value to the watch. I highly recommend the Casio MDV 106-1A.

Thanks for viewing!

To see the Casio with alternative straps, view this thread...http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...10#post5706310
Cesium133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 06:18 PM   #2
TimeBandit

Watch: You Think?
Clean/simple/easy to wear/Great beater with refined look... What's not to like? Nice review/photos! Thanks for sharing...
TimeBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2015, 11:00 PM   #3
cop414
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: 14060M
Wow, hard to beat that for a beater for less than $40.00. Thanks for the great review.

Rolex Submariner 14060M
Omega Seamaster 2254.50
DOXA Professional 1200T

Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
TRF's "After Dark" Bar & NightClub Patron
P Club Member #17
2 FA ENABLED
cop414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2015, 04:08 AM   #4
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Cool watch. Thanks!
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2015, 06:48 PM   #5
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Can't go wrong for the money..

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2015, 08:06 PM   #6
Psmith
"TRF" Member

Watch: spring-driven
Nice, and an absolute bargain
Old 4 November 2015, 04:10 PM   #7
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Nice review!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2015, 07:14 PM   #8
scaramunger
"TRF" Member

Nice find!
scaramunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2015, 01:47 AM   #9
makima
"TRF" Member

just got mine yesterday in the post. bought it from amazon for $33!
next minute i ordered a James Bond nato strap to it)
makima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2015, 10:24 PM   #10
itsmekevin
"TRF" Member

I love mine also, although I opted for the silver dial. Definitely a great value. I've gotten compliments on it too from non-watch people.
itsmekevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2016, 04:45 AM   #11
perfectlyfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sea Dweller 4000
Great watch. I bought one from Amazon a few months ago, along with a Nato to switch on and off with the rubber strap. It definitely looks like a much more expensive watch.
perfectlyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2016, 11:35 PM   #12
ppbskis
"TRF" Member

Thanks for posting about this. My Sub is being sent off for servicing and I am always in a quandary when it comes to a temporary replacement.
Last year I purchased a Vostok Amphibian, it was a great inexpensive watch until a piece of lume fell off a hour indicator an proceeded to find its way through the date window and stop the watch.
I think this Casio will pose far fewer mechanical problems and it looks great to boot.
Cant wait until Tuesday when it is due to be at my home.
ppbskis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 July 2016, 02:19 PM   #13
Scapegoat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Pro
This will be a great watch for swimming or going to the beach! Thanks for sharing.
Scapegoat is offline   Reply With Quote