The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 July 2016, 02:16 PM   #1
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Thoughts on 312?

I liked this one from the word go but began to prefer the 'dirty dial' 359. I also took a real liking to the 1312 but am finding myself less and less keen on the blue second hand and the 'Automatic' on the dial. Now I'm seriously swinging back to the 312. I had another look-see on Friday night........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.8 KB, 171 views)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2016, 03:17 PM   #2
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I had a 351 for a while. I really loved the lighter weight compared to the 312. In the end, I just didn't care for the thickness. With PAMs, I prefer the manual wind historic models. I had a 112 as well as a 512 (perhaps the only watch I may own twice). I am considering adding a 562. The only think I don't like about the new PAM historic models is the "8 Days" on the dial.

In your case, try the 351 before you decide.
Old 10 July 2016, 03:30 PM   #3
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
I had a 351 for a while. I really loved the lighter weight compared to the 312. In the end, I just didn't care for the thickness. With PAMs, I prefer the manual wind historic models. I had a 112 as well as a 512 (perhaps the only watch I may own twice). I am considering adding a 562. The only think I don't like about the new PAM historic models is the "8 Days" on the dial.

In your case, try the 351 before you decide.
You mean this one? I had a look and tried it on the basis that it's titanium and much lighter but I really don't care for that brown dial. Not my bag at all.

I'm ok with the weight of the 312, I wear a D-Blue as part of my rotation and have no issues with it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.9 KB, 161 views)

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Old 10 July 2016, 04:28 PM   #4
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

In that case, get the 312. Try the OEM disressed black leather strap. I had one on my 233. It was WAY more comfortable than the alligator.
Old 10 July 2016, 05:01 PM   #5
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
In that case, get the 312. Try the OEM disressed black leather strap. I had one on my 233. It was WAY more comfortable than the alligator.
What's the difference between the two straps (apart from the obvious)?

One major difference between straps is that they're almost half the price here in Singapore compared to the UK.

Old 11 July 2016, 02:49 AM   #6
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

You'll need to try the OEM distressed leather to understand. I'm not sure if the strap holes are differently spaced or if it's because it's more flexible and softer. I was ready to just get rid of my 351 until I placed it on the OEM brown distressed leather strap. Because of this strap, I kept it another year and a half.
Old 11 July 2016, 03:00 AM   #7
Pattyb69
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR|LVC|PAM 911
312 is a great piece. Personally, the weight didn't bother me but its thicker caseback/height made it a bit top heavy. I like the way manual PAMs sit on my wrist vs autos
Pattyb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2016, 09:20 AM   #8
eal15
"TRF" Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
I liked this one from the word go but began to prefer the 'dirty dial' 359. I also took a real liking to the 1312 but am finding myself less and less keen on the blue second hand and the 'Automatic' on the dial. Now I'm seriously swinging back to the 312. I had another look-see on Friday night........

I was gonna tell you the same as the second poster. I've had several Panerai's. I had a 104, two 311's and a 351 not in that order. Sold it to fund my AP. I've been trying to figure out whali h Panerai to replace the spot with and after much consideration it'll again be a 351. I like the newer ones but none are in titanium, yet. But I live the gold hands as well. Yes a black dial would fit more situations but the brown is quite nice in my opinion. I have MANY gator oem straps waiting to be used again. Anyway, the 312 is the same watch but ss. It was my most reliable Panerai in terms of accuracy and durability. I only wish it had the seconds reset or the gmt. I love panerai's gmt function.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2016, 05:56 PM   #9
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:

i believe that strap is discontinued...
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2016, 07:45 PM   #10
Frendrick
"TRF" Member

The distressed oem strap or so called oem vintage strap is comfy though I found it a bit spongy. Panerai is all about strap changing, why not having several straps to rotate. The oem gator strap is a bit stiff at first, but will soften with use. I like the PV a lot, which I think have the perfect thickness and stiffness of all.
Frendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2016, 07:50 PM   #11
Frendrick
"TRF" Member

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattyb69 View Post
312 is a great piece. Personally, the weight didn't bother me but its thicker caseback/height made it a bit top heavy. I like the way manual PAMs sit on my wrist vs autos
I also love how manual PAMs sits on wrist. My 372 is big and chunky, but that piece sits so comfy that I never have any complain wearing a watch that big on my small wrist for my daily beater. Never like the 44mm 1950s due to the case though, but if you handle the Dsea with no prob, you should be good to go. Btw, my fave 44mm 1950s is the 351, gold hands + tobacco dial is just too pretty. 359 is next on the list of mine.
Frendrick is offline   Reply With Quote