The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 10 March 2017, 06:04 AM   #1
mr500cm
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Tag Heuer Repair

Any one thinking of sending your Tag back to the authorized repair station in NJ might want to think twice....I sent my watch which has a quartz moment in for a service and was blown away twice by them....first was the $700 repair bill that they wanted to put on a new leather band, replace the bezel and water proof the watch. I was told it needs a full overhaul. I think my wife paid $800 for it when she bought it for me 25 years ago. They lowered the price to $540 and now they're telling me that they don't expect to to be ready until April 10! Oh and I already waited 10 days for the parts to arrive so Tag could complete the job. I never waited that long to have my Submariner serviced. Really?
mr500cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 March 2017, 03:53 PM   #2
GreenRust
"TRF" Member

I feel you're pain; unfortunately, in my experience, using Rolex's service as a benchmark has always led to disappointment. I'm going through a similar scenario with my PAM 00023 GMT. It'll likely be May before I have it back and it will surely be more than I would 'like' to spend.

Unfortunately, I have to go through this to even judge if it's worth it. To be fair my PAM needed some TLC - re-polish of the bezel, etc that I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving in the hands of a local jeweler due to the brushed nature of the finishing on the bezel.

Have you possibly considered rescinding your watch and having it done locally, assuming it could be done to your requirements?
GreenRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 07:54 AM   #3
mr500cm
"TRF" Member

I did but it needs a new bezel, the old one keeps popping off and they are the only one for parts. I'd also like a factory leather band.... thats another thing my original band was brown and now I'm told its black or nothing.

I had my dad chrono overhauled with less problems and it only took a month. They make it sound like when they overhaul a watch with a quartz movement its so intricate. Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 12 March 2017, 04:46 PM   #4
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Wow, Can't believe the price for a watch that was 800 dollars to start with.
rolehex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 07:18 PM   #5
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

Quartz Tags are disposable.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 08:13 PM   #6
GreenRust
"TRF" Member

To be fair Lance, you're not missing anything at all. It's a shame it is the way it is.

The person giving you the info could have also been somewhat ignorant on the topic, but they still didn't want to lose face. I agree - a quatz service shouldn't be a big deal at all. I hope everything goes well and the service is done up to your standard.
GreenRust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2017, 10:43 PM   #7
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I hate that it is going to cost so much. I would not spend more on a watch to repair it than what it is worth. Just buy the new one at $540 and move on.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2017, 02:14 AM   #8
KDS777
Banned

Watch: 16618LB
I'm kinda in the same boat. Got this really nice 5 year old Tissot Chronograph sitting in my drawer with a dead battery. I don't want to toss it out as I love the look and feel of it. Cost me $600 back when, and while my AD is also a Tissot dealer, and they have a horologist on staff, I expect asking them to service it could cost me 50% or more, than it initially cost to buy it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TISSOT.jpg (44.7 KB, 109 views)
KDS777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2017, 01:42 AM   #9
mr500cm
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
I hate that it is going to cost so much. I would not spend more on a watch to repair it than what it is worth. Just buy the new one at $540 and move on.
I thought about that except the watch was an anniversary gift from my wife to me 25 years ago so there is a sentimental reason to get it serviced.
Old 14 March 2017, 02:13 AM   #10
august1410
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1983 15003
I had an issue with the links on my s/el and Tag was not very helpful on the phone. I definitely felt as if I was bothering the CSR. I wound up finding someone locally who performed the repair at no charge.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
Old 19 March 2017, 08:36 AM   #11
Richmondmike
"TRF" Member

TAG quoted me £350 for a battery change. A local independent did it but even they increased their price tenfold for it supposedly being a difficult job on a 'luxury' watch..!
Richmondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2017, 10:20 PM   #12
mr500cm
"TRF" Member

Really? two months to service a quartz watch!
Old 27 March 2017, 10:45 PM   #13
mak22
"TRF" Member

Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition not winding

I have a Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3111 with the manual wind. My manual winding mechanism isn't working, so the watch won't wind or tick. I think that a spring has come loose. I need to get it repaired, but I'm not sure where to take it or if I should just send it to TAG. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars getting it fixed. Any suggestions?
mak22 is offline   Reply With Quote