The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 January 2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Best Rolex grade polish?

I have an old Rolex that is perfect, but was thinking about a fresh finish to the case. I would like it as close to Rolex specs as possible. Recommendations?
Eric88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 01:17 PM   #2
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Bob Ridley possibly.

I imagine he does a good job.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 01:56 PM   #3
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Have heard RSC Bexley, UK, does the best polish but you might have to do a movement service with them too!

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 02:13 PM   #4
jedly1
"TRF" Member

the best polish is Rolex UK or Rolex Geneva who have the full lapping machine set up and dedicated department that just polish.

When i was in the UK many people (mostly Americans) used to send over their pieces for UK service to achieve the 'bexley edge' ...and to this day it still commands a certain prescence and sells a watch pretty quick ..even with the unpolished hype...

c
jedly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 03:50 PM   #5
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Thanks, does anyone have advice on sending a watch to Rolex UK from the USA? And what is this "bexley edge?"
Old 23 January 2012, 04:05 PM   #6
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
I believe it's referring to the chamfer of the lugs.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 06:36 PM   #7
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

i say don't get your your vintage Rolex polished ... everything you take of is lost forever...
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 06:54 PM   #8
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyvm View Post
i say don't get your your vintage Rolex polished ... everything you take of is lost forever...
It depends .... For very many collectors old watches don't need to look old and beat up , for many a lot of the watches you see posted in the 'forum' environment just look 'tatty' ....the majority of collectors aren't in the Internet world , and believe it ir not the majority of those you come across expect a watch to be nicely polished and well presented ....

if it's a rare watch with historical significance I personally like them beat up and carrying their history on display ... For your bog standard 5513 that's been worn as a desk diver for 40 years I'd much rather have sharpened up than beat up and dulled ....but that's me , everyone is different !!
Old 23 January 2012, 07:22 PM   #9
Robbyvm
"TRF" Member

"old and beat up" is no must for me either but this doesn't always mean it needs an intensive polish right...
degustibus et coloribus non discputandum est....
Robbyvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 07:33 PM   #10
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Again depends ... It's my experience that Rolex will take as little metal as possible and often that doesn't need to be intense ... But to make the case as intended by Rolex it should have a high gloss flattened sides, very shiny highly polished chamfer and beautifully brushed top and bottom of lug ... This can be achieved with minimal intensity if the case is free of big gouges and dents to start ...
Old 23 January 2012, 07:38 PM   #11
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Ps. One other advantage of a nicely polished watch .... Wives like them more and give you less grief for wasting money :-) ...

.... Trust me it's an empirical study I have been conducting for many years :-)
Old 23 January 2012, 09:10 PM   #12
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Although I would be concerned about sending it to the UK I think I would take some precautions about it's return shipment to the USA. I would make sure it will make it back thru customs in the states without a hitch. I know it's your watch but customs have been known to confiscate Rolex watches entering the US, so I would want to take the proper precautions whatever those are.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 23 January 2012, 09:39 PM   #13
Keeperoftime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedly1 View Post
It depends .... For very many collectors old watches don't need to look old and beat up , for many a lot of the watches you see posted in the 'forum' environment just look 'tatty' ....the majority of collectors aren't in the Internet world , and believe it ir not the majority of those you come across expect a watch to be nicely polished and well presented ....

if it's a rare watch with historical significance I personally like them beat up and carrying their history on display ... For your bog standard 5513 that's been worn as a desk diver for 40 years I'd much rather have sharpened up than beat up and dulled ....but that's me , everyone is different !!
+1
Old 23 January 2012, 11:06 PM   #14
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

can you tell us a little more

Quote:
the best polish is Rolex UK or Rolex Geneva who have the full lapping machine set up and dedicated department that just polish.

When i was in the UK many people (mostly Americans) used to send over their pieces for UK service to achieve the 'bexley edge' ...and to this day it still commands a certain prescence and sells a watch pretty quick ..even with the unpolished hype...

c
Can you tell us a little more about the mystery machine hiding in the US. Thanks. CD
CaveDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 11:18 PM   #15
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post
And what is this "bexley edge?"
here is the bexley edge...

an old GMT of mine, 16710 MK1, that rolex bexley serviced last year.

it was beaten to a pulp, been dragged through cliffs, deserts, sea, sand, fire, forests and mountains from africa to australia, case full of nicks and dents and chamfers were soft as a mouse's ear

see the last picts comparing it to one of my unpolished and mint GMTs. can't really tell the difference

with the new machines at bexley, they scrape off a small layer and the machine then gives it the factory finish

i spoke to the master polisher himself who said the beaten up GMT had had its case restored to 90% factory finish

Old 23 January 2012, 11:31 PM   #16
Submarino
"TRF" Member

Watch: them for me!
If I had not seen it side by side I would've thought the one on the left had never been polished and it was an NOS. superb polishing job!!!

Instagram @watchcollectinglifestyle

Submarino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2012, 11:33 PM   #17
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post

it was beaten to a pulp, been dragged through cliffs, deserts, sea, sand, fire, forests and mountains from africa to australia, case full of nicks and dents

see the last picts comparing it to one of my unpolished and mint GMTs. can't really tell the difference

with the new machines at bexley, they scrape off a small layer and the machine then gives it the factory finish

i spoke to the master polisher himself who said the beaten up GMT had had its case restored to 90% factory finish
Great looking watch Anders.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 23 January 2012, 11:39 PM   #18
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submarino View Post
If I had not seen it side by side I would've thought the one on the left had never been polished and it was an NOS. superb polishing job!!!
yeah they do a great job now that it's all done my an expensive machine that very very increased service costs are paying for !!

comparing side by side, to the naked eye there was no difference in luster, satin finish or edges between the two GMTs

took them about three months to service my beater GMT

Old 23 January 2012, 11:41 PM   #19
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
Great looking watch Anders.
beauty of a job for sure
Old 24 January 2012, 03:46 AM   #20
Eric88
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone and Jed's comments about why to polish are aligned with mine. I still need to figure out if it makes sense for me to ship mine to the UK for the bexley edge or keep looking for someone that can do it in the USA.

Thanks for the photos. One of my Rolex has the bexley edge and I'd like to get it on the other one.
Old 24 January 2012, 05:06 AM   #21
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
Can you tell us a little more about the mystery machine hiding in the US. Thanks. CD

nope...nor did i say there WAS a machine in the US....
Old 24 January 2012, 05:09 AM   #22
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yeah they do a great job now that it's all done my an expensive machine that very very increased service costs are paying for !!

comparing side by side, to the naked eye there was no difference in luster, satin finish or edges between the two GMTs

took them about three months to service my beater GMT

now before all the latest hype ...that was the top of the tree in terms of collecting ...outside of NOS...because if you were lucky enough to turn up a worn but 'unpolished'/or full fat case...the real aim for a collection piece was to turn it into that.....
Old 24 January 2012, 07:35 AM   #23
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric88 View Post
Thanks everyone and Jed's comments about why to polish are aligned with mine. I still need to figure out if it makes sense for me to ship mine to the UK for the bexley edge or keep looking for someone that can do it in the USA.

Thanks for the photos. One of my Rolex has the bexley edge and I'd like to get it on the other one.

Quote:
now before all the latest hype ...that was the top of the tree in terms of collecting ...outside of NOS...because if you were lucky enough to turn up a worn but 'unpolished'/or full fat case...the real aim for a collection piece was to turn it into that.....
if you have a vintage piece and it's a bit dull and sad to look at, have it fixed up. some of these old 'unpolished' cases out there really deserves to be brought back to the luster they deserve

i should have taken some before pics of the gmt but trust me when i say the case was a mess. massive dings, chamfers and lugs like warm butter etc

personally no issues for me with a bit of polishing as long as the case is beefy enough to take it
Old 24 January 2012, 08:02 AM   #24
Orchi
Banned

Quote:

it was beaten to a pulp, been dragged through cliffs, deserts, sea, sand, fire, forests and mountains from africa to australia, case full of nicks and dents and chamfers were soft as a mouse's ear

Err Buddy Puffy...great looking GMTs you got there...
n very beautifully restored by Rolex UK...

Just for comparison sakes...
here is a 16760 "Fatlady"...
one which Orchi believes has the original factory's...
asymmetrical case chamfer/bevel...n sharper edges...

Orchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2012, 10:27 AM   #25
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
nope...nor did i say there WAS a machine in the US....
Thanks Jed..
In the recent thread you did not say machine. However, past conversations you mentioned that there were only two places that can recreate NOS bevel/chamfer. Both those places being Rolex service centers that have the lapping machines. Sorry for my inference that someone in the USA had one of the machines which I thought was required to get to NOS specifications.
CD.
Old 24 January 2012, 10:54 AM   #26
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDiver View Post
Thanks Jed..
In the recent thread you did not say machine. However, past conversations you mentioned that there were only two places that can recreate NOS bevel/chamfer. Both those places being Rolex service centers that have the lapping machines. Sorry for my inference that someone in the USA had one of the machines which I thought was required to get to NOS specifications.
CD.
Yep , but the whole point of the post the other day was to highlight that judging from work ive seen and what's being palmed off as unpolished or nos left right and centre this is clearly no longer the case ....As to method I can only speculate, old Rolex lapping machines, lapping machines from the manufacturer , someone taking the time to create the jigs .... Who knows for sure....

The reality is this buzz is being used to sell ... Therefore has a value ... Therefore is WORTH someone investing in doing it .... It's the grey bezel thing on a bigger scale ....
Old 24 January 2012, 01:06 PM   #27
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
If it helps I have a lapping machine and know how to use it those that have seen my work know this. Rikki
Rolex Parts Account Holder.
Rikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2012, 01:17 PM   #28
CaveDiver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
If it helps I have a lapping machine and know how to use it those that have seen my work know this. Rikki
Hi Rik. Have any examples to share?
Old 24 January 2012, 01:17 PM   #29
cruvon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
How difficult is it to get the same lapping machine brand as the one Rolex uses? If not possible, how do the different types of lapping machines differ and how difficult is it to get a "Bexley edge" type finish using lapping machines available on the market today?

Last thing I remember, I was Running outta sight
I had to find the passage back,To the place I was before.
’Relax,’ said this Rolex place,We are programmed to receive.
You can checkout any time you like, But you can never leave!
cruvon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 January 2012, 01:42 PM   #30
jedly1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruvon View Post
How difficult is it to get the same lapping machine brand as the one Rolex uses? If not possible, how do the different types of lapping machines differ and how difficult is it to get a "Bexley edge" type finish using lapping machines available on the market today?

weirdly just left my watchmaker who said same thing, the company who manufacture for rolex do sell others , he was looking into a while ago but cost was pretty damned high (mid 20k's gbp) for a machine with rolex like capabilities ...