The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 12 November 2018, 06:37 AM   #451
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kneedeep View Post
Speedy Pro are in regardless of value IMO. But I'm definitely biased. Great collection, Jorge.

Thanks mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 06:48 AM   #452
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I like your settled AP and Rolexes, have similar myself, and for your PP I understand you don't want the exposed bezel but I can take it so the 5712 would still be my choice there.

I would always love 5712/1a, my first Patek. but have to admit that when I see a Nauti pic , first thing I do like a reflex is check the bezel then I realize I don’t have to worry about that anymore. You know , if I wear a watch and I have to be worry about scratches and I am conscious all the time about it , then is no fun to me. A lot of people say , let it be , then you become used to the idea, gives the watch character, when services it can be lightly polished , bla , bla , is BS to me

Yeah I have the AP I want , the 2 Rolex that I like the most , and in my eyes I have the best Patek that can be bought with a budget of 60k that is not a Nautilus or an aquanaut. So It looks that I will be with this collection for a while but I don’t want a jinx me so I’ll leave it open.

Albert Einstein
Old 13 November 2018, 03:08 AM   #453
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G M Francis View Post
I’ve been collecting since I was 24 and I’m now 62. I’ve had a several collections in that time.

1. A collection of “vintage” watches. 30’s/40’s/50’s/60’s. Daytona bought at £400. NOS Milgauss full B& for £450. Etc. When they went up sufficiently I sold them all and transitioned to...

2. New models. As the older stuff got older, it became harder to keep the watches working and a fair bit of heartache started. So the “classic” models. Anything you didn’t have to give a brand name to. Reverso, Sub, Navitimer, RO, Nautilus, Daytona. Great fun until the i got the Patek Bug...

3. Patek only. This lasted a few years, the only problem was every purchase was big and took a long time to accrue the cash. A major problem with the Natilus happed and an ongoing service issue had me wearing a Sub again. I’d forgotten how much I liked Rolex so transitioned to...

4. 5 digit Rolex. Zenith Daytona, Black Out Explorer, Ivory Rail Dial Exp 2. Subs, SD and DD plus A big bunch of 36m DJs and OPs. Kept these until I realised I never wore most of them. So I sold them, probably too early as they have all gone up and bought the one watch...

5. A watch to wear every day. A Patek annual Calendar also bought my daughter a car and banked the rest. Very happy with is situation until I realised I wanted a steel sports watch so a SS Daytona...

6. Where I am now. A couple of Pateks, a couple of Rolex, a Speedmaster, a PAM 00372 and a BB58 ( just bought) all of these I wear regularly and really like them. I’m planning to get a SS Pepsi Ceramic GMT ( when Rolex get around to making it) and a 5196G Calatrava. Only Patek and Rolex from now on...unless something I really, really like comes along.

So the point of this is I’ve been collecting for close to 40 years and had a lot of fun, angst, regrets and pleasure over the years. I’ve made money on watches and lost money on watches. In a investment world I’ve sold too early, too late and right at the top of the market.

Whatever you think is right for you is right for you at this time. You will probably change your mind as you get older. You are a different person at 30 as you are at 40, 50 and so on.

It’s a hobby for most of us not a living and a hobby does not have to make sense to anyone other than the person whose hobby it is.

In other circumstances I would say yes this hobby makes sense just to me, luckily thanks to TRF we can relate with a lot of people that actually makes sense this crazy hobby.
Great story , thanks for sharing

Albert Einstein
Old 13 November 2018, 04:05 AM   #454
SL BRABUS
"TRF" Member

Watch: Only Rolex & Patek
Congratulations my friend on your new 5524...

"SL BRABUS" aka BenzWorld Undercover Moderator
SL BRABUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 05:15 AM   #455
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL BRABUS View Post
Congratulations my friend on your new 5524...

Thanks man , having a lot of fun with it

Albert Einstein
Old 13 November 2018, 05:29 AM   #456
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeCCW View Post
As promised , the mighty 4

Jorge,
I gotta say of the entire collection, the 5524 is the shining star for me.

Re the speedy, imho you have to count it, it is a classic, timeless, iconic watch.

I paid 3k for my exp II... of course I count it

Ps I am working on streamlining my own 5, things are moving steady but slow.
Old 13 November 2018, 06:05 AM   #457
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

A great thread as I’ve said before.

I’ve been thinking about consolidating recently but no conclusions or even moderate plans of action have been established.

It’s not an easy step to take as many watches acquired over the years (~20 years) have meaning beyond monetary.

Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 06:17 AM   #458
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
Jorge,
I gotta say of the entire collection, the 5524 is the shining star for me.

Re the speedy, imho you have to count it, it is a classic, timeless, iconic watch.

I paid 3k for my exp II... of course I count it

Ps I am working on streamlining my own 5, things are moving steady but slow.
Speedy should be counted : agreed
5524G piece de resistance : agreed

Thx Gus

Albert Einstein
Old 13 November 2018, 06:20 AM   #459
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
As promised , the mighty 4

You really like chronos......
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 06:23 AM   #460
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay (Eire) View Post
A great thread as I’ve said before.

I’ve been thinking about consolidating recently but no conclusions or even moderate plans of action have been established.

It’s not an easy step to take as many watches acquired over the years (~20 years) have meaning beyond monetary.

Thanks man , yeah when i did it i Had 19 watches I thought what about I sell 18 , keep Hulk and buy a couple of grails (5205R and 5712R at the time) and I still have money left to pay a couple of credit cards. Made complete sense, never looked back again.
Nobody can dictate how you collect if you feel the need to do it someday , is a good theory but if you never want thats fine too , each person has different needs. its all good
Cheers

Albert Einstein
Old 13 November 2018, 06:30 AM   #461
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Conversion from hoarding all brands to Patek

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
You really like chronos......

Yes I do , such a nice complication. I Take a Chrono any day over an AC
Anyway I am doing better , not so long ago I had 4 watches , and the 4 of them where Chronos *

Speedy is not showing but I had it

Now I have 3 Chronos , 1 diver and 1 GMT/dual time
A little bit more diversity but still Chrono dominance

Albert Einstein
Old 13 November 2018, 06:55 AM   #462
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Yes I do , such a nice complication. I Take a Chrono any day over an AC
Anyway I am doing better , not so long ago I had 4 watches , and the 4 of them where Chronos *

Speedy is not showing but I had it

Now I have 3 Chronos , 1 diver and 1 GMT/dual time
A little bit more diversity but still Chrono dominance

You think a chrono is more functional than an AC?

Do you time things much? Or you like the style?

Either way, I love your taste. 3 great looking watches.

But dang, I think an AC is just so incredibly neat to have. It’s watch making at its finest. (Or bear finest when comparing a PC).

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 07:51 AM   #463
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alford78 View Post
You wont enjoy the Pepsi once you wear the 5712 a few times. You will still like the Sub C since it can be an anything watch which is what the Pepsi will sit back seat to in the end.
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 08:24 AM   #464
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
You think a chrono is more functional than an AC?

Do you time things much? Or you like the style?

Either way, I love your taste. 3 great looking watches.

But dang, I think an AC is just so incredibly neat to have. It’s watch making at its finest. (Or bear finest when comparing a PC).

I think the Chrono is such a cool complication. Honestly it doesn’t matter if is is Chrono or an AC at the end all I really use is the time and the date that’s it. That being said , I like the looks and the simplicity of the Chrono more than the AC, just preference. I feel Patek invented the AC just to make a complication that worked liked a bridge between a Perpetual and regular complications; so customers get to experience the feel of complications with a less expensive watch and that eventually they can close the bridge to a perpetual or a PCC. I had various AC’s in my history(5146, 5205, 5960 ) and honestly all I needed was date and time , maybe I check the day 3 times on the ownership of those 3 watches.
Do I really use the Chrono that much ? Not really but at least I have something extra in addition to the date, that’s how I see it. And a Chrono is way easier to set than an AC.

I guess I prefer simplicity, while a big proportion of the WIS wants complications, PC , PCC , etc ....
I remember when my grail was a PCC , that would be the last thing I would buy now.
There is no right or wrong , you buy what you love ...I err on simple that’s all , maybe in 10 years I go back to complications, who knows but I doubted because probably my vision won’t allow it and will be saying thanks god I have 5524G because that’s the only watch I can read haha

Cheers

Albert Einstein
Old 3 February 2019, 09:42 AM   #465
Snow-Dweller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: collections change
Having just bought my first Patek, I’m looking forward to your update to this thread....

16803. 16570. 18038. 114300. BB58. GMW-B5000D.
Snow-Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 09:44 AM   #466
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow-Dweller View Post
Having just bought my first Patek, I’m looking forward to your update to this thread....

Well you did good the more sought after Patek right now.

Albert Einstein
Old 3 February 2019, 09:57 AM   #467
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Time for an update, these are my current five, and yes I am conscious about the fact that the 3-4 watch philosophy has been broken. But I also now that there are 2 watches that are extra here that I don’t need and that I choose to have extra.
I would be more than ok with these 3

5524G
Rose gold : AP or Rootbeer ( your choice)

So I know I have 1 rose gold watch extra and speedy than I really don’t need. So I have some room from shrinking, so it’s speak.

It was very hard , to choose 1 PP, because the only watches on the PP that hold price are the sport ones , and I know that I won’t pay that kind of money to live stress about the bezel. Luckily I found 5524G and I absolutely love it , is a watch that you have to own to appreciate, so worth it .

With AP the same , that’s the only watch that I want from AP and I have it.

And then Daytona , no need to comment , is a perfect watch. It Can stand as only watch no problem.

Rootbeer is simply a luxury, cool watch , that is just pleasure.

Speedy is so simple but legendary, I don’t know what it is , I think it’s simplicity is what attracts me to it

And there you have it

Albert Einstein
Old 3 February 2019, 10:22 AM   #468
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek/Rolex/GS
awesome post and nice to see your various stages of collecting.........question: how big is your wrist and how did that 2nd gen VC Overseas fit? I'm contemplating flipping a Daytona for one, if I can source it. It's 42mm if I recall, but seems to fit smaller wrists much better than a ROO 42mm........or am I wrong about that?

How did you like it? How as the lume?
bruinmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 10:24 AM   #469
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Absolutely love the RG rootbeer........if I didn't mind the weight, that would be my PM piece.

Instead, i will likely end up with a RG Daytona on OF or a 5712r (fingers crossed)
Old 3 February 2019, 12:16 PM   #470
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Jorge. How do you like the size of the AP?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 03:30 PM   #471
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Fantastic collection, Jorge! Love following your journey.
Old 3 February 2019, 10:55 PM   #472
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Congrats on the GMT and a very interesting selection, I doubt anyone else would have five watches and the one PP being that one, but then you do have an advanced case of Bezel-itis as we know.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 11:02 PM   #473
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Congrats on the GMT and a very interesting selection, I doubt anyone else would have five watches and the one PP being that one, but then you do have an advanced case of Bezel-itis as we know.
at this point its probably the only Patek i wouldn't consider selling. Not looking to sell any at this point as I've got my PP collection right where i want it, but its probably the safest one.

weirdly enough, the 5990 which ironically is my favorite watch is probably the only one which would maybe be a possibility to move later, but that's just due to where prices may or may not go
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 February 2019, 11:08 PM   #474
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
at this point its probably the only Patek i wouldn't consider selling. Not looking to sell any at this point as I've got my PP collection right where i want it, but its probably the safest one.

weirdly enough, the 5990 which ironically is my favorite watch is probably the only one which would maybe be a possibility to move later, but that's just due to where prices may or may not go
Probably couldnt sell anyways...I think the 5524G price is really weak... Someone mentioned it moving into the mid to high 30’s in the secondary in a post a few weeks back. Probably cause you have the R version for a watch that did not have a lot of aupport to begin with.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 05:42 AM   #475
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Conversion from hoarding all brands to Patek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
awesome post and nice to see your various stages of collecting.........question: how big is your wrist and how did that 2nd gen VC Overseas fit? I'm contemplating flipping a Daytona for one, if I can source it. It's 42mm if I recall, but seems to fit smaller wrists much better than a ROO 42mm........or am I wrong about that?

How did you like it? How as the lume?
That VC is pretty nice I had it twice once with the grey dial and Ti bezel and the second time on a white dial. Wears well but the pushers can be uncomfortable. I wouldn’t in my wildest dream give up a Daytona for it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinmd View Post
Absolutely love the RG rootbeer........if I didn't mind the weight, that would be my PM piece.

Instead, i will likely end up with a RG Daytona on OF or a 5712r (fingers crossed)

Don’t like your logic. My pointers below, you can agree or disagree with them but that’s my thinking :

1) the weight of the Rootbeer is one of attractions is heavy that you feel the watch but not that heavy that is uncomfortable in any way.

2) the only two versions of Daytonas that are in the current Rolex catalogue that I would buy are two : 1) 116500 white or black dial 2) Platona.
For me a Daytona needs to be in a bracelet period; Oysterflex would be automatically out , I have no interest on a Daytona without Bracelet. The other PM Daytonas (exception is Platona) come with non ceramic bezel , which is important for me as well for obvious reasons.
So that why that’s the only 2 references of the current catalogue I like

3)As you know I had 5712R, love the watch and I think it can make sense to include it on the right collection. You will find people also saying that Nautilus needs a bracelet and to an extent it’s true but I give some leeway to this reference, because the case is so thin so I understand how it can give you a flimsy feeling on a bracelet , make the case in gold and strap instead of a bracelet helps a lot with the feel of the watch in the wrist. 5712R lasted longer on my stable than 5712/1a; people can say a lot about the reference without actually owning them , I had both and know the difference day to day on the wrist. Is easy to be a purist just based on the looks.

Hope it helps
Cheers

Albert Einstein
Old 4 February 2019, 06:00 AM   #476
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Jorge. How do you like the size of the AP?

Is a boss feel , it empowers. Just strap it and feel the watch on your wrist and look that beautiful dial and you will have a good day loll
And I think is pretty comfortable, I took in on vacation last July , and when the days ended I never felt like I need to take the watch off that usually happens with big watches. I think 44 ROO is perfect

Albert Einstein
Old 4 February 2019, 06:21 AM   #477
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post

I totally agree with you , I had the 5990 as well that was my last Nauti and I swear that never again. 5524G has so much going for her, it’s on the sporty side without leaving the classic Patek strap watch aura , kind of the best of both worlds with a useful complication and a beautiful dial that for a change I can F read .

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
Fantastic collection, Jorge! Love following your journey.

Thanks brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Probably couldnt sell anyways...I think the 5524G price is really weak... Someone mentioned it moving into the mid to high 30’s in the secondary in a post a few weeks back. Probably cause you have the R version for a watch that did not have a lot of aupport to begin with.

People can say a lot , but last December I got in a situation that consolidated my 5524G as my patek. Long story short I was considering to buy a watch that is out of production and I noticed the ad for this watch and it was sealed , I told them that the price was to high so then he asked what do you have , and when I mentioned 5524G , he offer 42k for it, I thought it was low. But I wasn’t interested in selling my 5524g to begin with, but it made me think what other watch could I buy that would make me happy and that is not doing awful on the grey market , couldn’t find one. Once you take Nautilus and Aquanaut off the table there isn’t to much to go by .

Cheers

Quote:

I would answer like Freddie Mercury would of : but not anyone else is Jorge

Albert Einstein
Old 4 February 2019, 06:55 AM   #478
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Love watching the evolution of your collection. Wish I started a thread like this :)
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 07:06 AM   #479
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by toucan View Post
Love watching the evolution of your collection. Which I started a thread like this :)
I was thinking that, a really cool documentation to have.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 07:23 AM   #480
bruinmd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That VC is pretty nice I had it twice once with the grey dial and Ti bezel and the second time on a white dial. Wears well but the pushers can be uncomfortable. I wouldn’t in my wildest dream give up a Daytona for it though.

Don’t like your logic. My pointers below, you can agree or disagree with them but that’s my thinking :

1) the weight of the Rootbeer is one of attractions is heavy that you feel the watch but not that heavy that is uncomfortable in any way.

2) the only two versions of Daytonas that are in the current Rolex catalogue that I would buy are two : 1) 116500 white or black dial 2) Platona.
For me a Daytona needs to be in a bracelet period; Oysterflex would be automatically out , I have no interest on a Daytona without Bracelet. The other PM Daytonas (exception is Platona) come with non ceramic bezel , which is important for me as well for obvious reasons.
So that why that’s the only 2 references of the current catalogue I like

3)As you know I had 5712R, love the watch and I think it can make sense to include it on the right collection. You will find people also saying that Nautilus needs a bracelet and to an extent it’s true but I give some leeway to this reference, because the case is so thin so I understand how it can give you a flimsy feeling on a bracelet , make the case in gold and strap instead of a bracelet helps a lot with the feel of the watch in the wrist. 5712R lasted longer on my stable than 5712/1a; people can say a lot about the reference without actually owning them , I had both and know the difference day to day on the wrist. Is easy to be a purist just based on the looks.

Hope it helps
Cheers

Good feedback, thanks.

A few things: I find the platona too weighty, otherwise that would be my grail piece.

The 116500 is the most comfortable watch I've ever owned on a bracelet, hands down (I've never owned a Nautilus, but have owned 2 RO's).
I have both the white and black dial, but the black dial (which I like more) is a pain the a** to read much of the time, and the white dial has never wowed me. Meanwhile, I've always loved the RG daytona against the black OF, which is so comfortable, and offsets some of the weight. I know it's not traditional, but I still really like the OF on RG.

I will likely sell the black dial and keep the white dial, and add the RG daytona or maybe consider the all RG Rootbeer, after reading your comments. I really like that watch a lot -- do you know its weight relative to the platona?

I'm also going to soon add either the AP ROO Grey ghost or...... the new 42mm blue dial titanium ROO that they introduced at SIHH. I've seen the pics but am going to wait a bit. I love that it's light weight, and this will be more of a daily causal watch to wear.

Oh, and after reading what you said, I just don't think the VC 49150 is worth it, as much as I love the blue dial chrono version.