The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 9 October 2018, 10:08 PM   #1
emielvl
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai Lum. Mar.
Thoughts on vintage 1807 with Buckley dial

Hi,

The Day-date with Buckley dial is one of my favourite vintage Rolex (dress) watches and I've been looking for a good one for quite some time already. Recently I came across this one in a local shop:

(See attachments)
(awco DOT nl/winkel/vintage-collectie/rolex/day-date-ref-1807)

I'm considering to buy it but I'm not an expert on the subject so for me it is hard to tell whether this is a good deal. Perhaps some of you could voice their opinion on this watch?

- Do you think the watch (esp. the bezel) is too polished?
- How can I tell whether the dial and hands are still original? Is there a reference website I can check that lists all configurations of this watch ever made?
- What about the price, 7650 euros ($8800) is not exactly cheap... or is this a 'good' price in the current vintage market?

The shop does have a (very) good reputation, the watch is fully serviced and includes a one year warranty.

thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex-day-date-1807-3227-awco.nl-1-600x900.jpg (67.4 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpeg rolex-day-date-1807-3227-awco.nl-6.jpeg (120.2 KB, 152 views)
emielvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 03:02 AM   #2
kwizzle
"TRF" Member

Looks great, do they have an 1807 bark bezel with it or is it an 1803 buckley? Has that dial been repainted/ relumed it looks crisp? I have an 1807 in pretty good shape and it has three lume dots that have fallen off. You can see a pic on my Instagram "kwizzlewizzle". I think all watch prices are crazy lately but I guess they are worth what someone will pay for them. That said I think its a little high priced without the president band. Enjoy it the old dd are awesome!
kwizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 04:45 AM   #3
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

It has an 1803 fluted bezel on it and it isn't as crisp as it might be. I would certainly ask for a discount for the wrong bezel. I don't know what a 3mm bark bezel goes for these days but I'll wager it's expensive. The case looks good and the dial looks good to me but there are better dial mavens than me around here.

This is an 1807 I had with an 1802 smooth bezel on it but you can see an original bark in the background. I had just scored that original 3mm domed 1802 bezel and was on the way to the watchmaker to get it installed. That watch came with the later flat 1802 bezel you see and I found the 1807 bezel on ebay for 50 bucks, ah the good old days. :)

The crown is quite worn on the op watch which can indicate it hasn't been serviced in quite some time.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2018, 04:58 AM   #4
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

While WIS may know the things that aren’t original, if it suits you then you’ll enjoy it as a keeper.

Otherwise, if you plan to sell it onward in the next few years then your eventual buyer might make an issue of the bezel, etc.

The price is more than some 1803’s and I think that is a better reference price to compare. Because the only unique 1807 element left on this one is the case’s model #. All the other parts are the same as an 1803.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote