The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 November 2018, 09:00 PM   #1
LPan
"TRF" Member

Watch: me collect more...
Sell BLNR & buy 5513??

Hi guys, I have the opportunity to sell my Batman and buy my birth year (82) original 5513 (watch no paperwork). What do you guys think in terms of value appreciation between the two. is it a wise move?
I dont know much about the older 4 digit market and dont know if ill end up stuck with the watch if I just dont like it.
The 5513 is all original (well established jeweller confirms), serviced in 2012 and was sent to Rolex recently for a link so paperwork corroborates everything.
Old 9 November 2018, 09:09 PM   #2
mineral
"TRF" Member

I prefer 5513 just because I like the simple time only watch. You can’t go wrong with 5513.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 9 November 2018, 10:16 PM   #3
Greg5512
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Big Block
Easy choice. 5513.
Old 9 November 2018, 11:11 PM   #4
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Responses on the vintage board will necessarily be skewed in one direction on this.

Devil's advocate view: 5513 prices are at an all-time high - some say a bubble. The Batman with box and papers is unlikely to deflate anytime soon even with a market correction, as it's a hugely popular current model that's largely unavailable.

I might go for a full-set Batman over a late-period 5513 in today's market if my major concern were protecting my investment (which it isn't...). Different story if you're talking 1960s gilt 5513s.

You pays your money and you takes your chance. Good luck!
Old 9 November 2018, 11:58 PM   #5
DaytonaSubmariner
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Don't buy it for an "investment." Buy it because you like it.

Yes, the Batman is highly sought after because it's not readily available, but the fact is, it's not a rare watch and they're still producing it.

I've had two Batman's over the years and have now settled on a 1973 GMT Pepsi. I couldn't be happier! I literally traded my Batman on the Pepsi. I didn't do it for the "investment." I did it because I have fallen in love with the patina of an older watch. It has it's own idiosyncrasies that is unique to itself. That's what is most appealing to me.
At this point, if my Pepsi holds it's value, I'll be happy. In the long run, I suspect that the Batman will eventually dip before it climbs back up in value (20 - 30 years from now).

The older watches don't necessarily have the wrist presence as the newer watches. The ceramic bezel really stands out compared to the older watches. It wears differently. For me, it's a good thing. The bezel of the GMT Pepsi makes up for that a bit.

If I were you, I'd find a decent 5513 and keep the BLNR if possible.
Old 10 November 2018, 05:12 AM   #6
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
I prefer 5513 just because I like the simple time only watch. You can’t go wrong with 5513.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thats all you need, as someone who trade/sold their 14060M i miss a nodate sub terribly
Closed Thread