The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 18 April 2018, 02:09 AM   #1
rfeeney
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Buying on Chrono24

Hello -

I currently sell pre-owned Rolex watches on Chrono24, and curious to hear what your customer/Buyer experience has been like. I hear it could be improved? From my perspective as a seller, it's exceeded expectation's - am I missing something? Thank you.
rfeeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:25 AM   #2
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I've purchased a few watches from their site. No complaints. One was international.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 02:54 AM   #3
Dennisoul
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 Polar
I recently did a trade for my 116200 for a 16570 on Chrono24....everything went beautifully, totally delighted the way it went
Dennisoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 03:04 AM   #4
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I've purchased a few watches from their site. No complaints. One was international.
Hiya,
Apologies, Not watch related, but my wife and I just
fell in love with that 'Fox Terrier'? Is he/she yours?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 03:20 AM   #5
81sforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & ExpII
Does Chrono 24 charge credit card fees? Say I don't want to wire so I can earn some cash back/ pts. on my card then pay it off. Is the price listed a wire price or the price no matter how you pay?
81sforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 03:48 AM   #6
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
You should be careful, if things go sour they do nothing to help as some members have experienced.

The term trusted seller also means nothing on Chrono since everybody there is one

Always do your homework on the individual dealer and don't rely on Chrono.
Old 18 April 2018, 03:54 AM   #7
Vicious49
"TRF" Member

I've found prices there are generally higher than in the forums so I haven't purchased anything from there yet.
Vicious49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:00 AM   #8
el-heffe
"TRF" Member

I've only bought from them once and it was a train wreck. Spoke on the phone and email and was assured the watch was NIB, mint, had box and cards. It arrived and the watch was just laying loose in the box (not on the pillow). The warranty cards had already been filled out 4 months earlier in another country. Around half the protective plastic pieces were removed as well. It looked like (best case) that it was returned by someone else and then shipped out to me. I quickly decided it wasn't for me. I got lucky and only had to pay return shipping and half the CC fees. I was sweating bullets until the refund came through.
el-heffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:07 AM   #9
JW1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-date
I'm looking into selling a watch on the site and the listing fee seems reasonable. Hard to tell if any of the inventory is moving though...
JW1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 04:33 AM   #10
MinMay
Banned

Yeah...the reason why the price is high because chrono charged a fee to the seller. I see some outrageous price. It goes unsold for ages

Also, make sure you ask a lot of questions with detailed pictures.
MinMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 05:07 AM   #11
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

a lot of sellers do not even have the watches in hand and source them after the fact. So I never trust the number of watches in search results as a reflection of how many are "available" and i also don't trust any descriptions of condition. Therefore it would be a non starter for me.

At least here on TRF the watch has to be in your possession to list it and mods do spot checks.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 05:15 AM   #12
JW1988
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-date
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
a lot of sellers do not even have the watches in hand and source them after the fact. So I never trust the number of watches in search results as a reflection of how many are "available" and i also don't trust any descriptions of condition. Therefore it would be a non starter for me.

At least here on TRF the watch has to be in your possession to list it and mods do spot checks.
Agreed. The exact reason why I'm having a hard time listing my watch on the site.
JW1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 05:34 AM   #13
MinMay
Banned

Quote:

very true. All of them said the watch is in MINT condition when they are not LOL. Most of them do not have the watch in hands. I see some with damage dial...wrong bracelet...etc. And some will give you an attitude if you ask too many questions.
Old 18 April 2018, 05:37 AM   #14
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
There are some reputable sellers on chrono especially on the Patek side of things. I wouldn't make a blanket statement, however.
Chrono serves its purpose and I wouldn't advocate for or against using it.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 05:49 AM   #15
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

I bought an unworn 116610LV via Chrono24 last month. I tried a few other buy/sell shops too, such as Watchfinder. I had no idea this forum existed then!

The process went very smoothly. I believe this was because the dealer (Tempo and Time) was straight and honest, and I asked lots of questions and researched the watch and the seller as deeply as I could. A few of the sellers I contacted via Chrono24 didn't reply at all to my initial enquiry and others were slow and/or seemed unmotivated.

I don't know about any of the Trusted Seller and protected payment stuff. The seller seemed to check out and nothing would have warmed me towards someone who wasn't striking me right. But the Chrono24 site was a good way of lining up a few sellers, seeing what was what, and who seemed credible.

Delighted with my Hulk. It's everything I expected and my only regret is that I didn't buy it years ago.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 06:09 AM   #16
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinMay View Post
Yeah...the reason why the price is high because chrono charged a fee to the seller. I see some outrageous price. It goes unsold for ages

Also, make sure you ask a lot of questions with detailed pictures.
Why not just bypass chrono and contact the dealer straight through their own website or shop?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 06:39 AM   #17
MinMay
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Why not just bypass chrono and contact the dealer straight through their own website or shop?
cause they charge the same price and they only accept bank wire transfer :)
Old 18 April 2018, 06:55 AM   #18
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
The pictures of the item posted, the better. The more details about the watch, the better. There are so many items listed on Chrono with stock photos and basic details redacted (especially year of purchase).

That said, I really like Chrono24. It's the first place I look. I actually found the dealer I purchased my watch from on there. They were only a short hour drive away from me. Had a great transaction face-to-face and was able to look first hand at all their stock.

I'd prefer to purchase from people on this forum, but the wire transfer part is a pain. Chrono lets you use a credit card.
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:24 AM   #19
zjd168
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmbarrack View Post
The pictures of the item posted, the better. The more details about the watch, the better. There are so many items listed on Chrono with stock photos and basic details redacted (especially year of purchase).

That said, I really like Chrono24. It's the first place I look. I actually found the dealer I purchased my watch from on there. They were only a short hour drive away from me. Had a great transaction face-to-face and was able to look first hand at all their stock.

I'd prefer to purchase from people on this forum, but the wire transfer part is a pain. Chrono lets you use a credit card.
Do they change a fee for using CC?
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 07:34 AM   #20
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Though not a rule, Appear to often be 20% over the mark.
Old 18 April 2018, 07:58 AM   #21
Jmbarrack
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ever changing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjd168 View Post
Do they change a fee for using CC?

I’m actually not sure. I don’t think they do. But I could be wrong. I ended up buying from a chrono24 dealer but in person.

The nice thing about buy from the forums is they don’t charge sales tax. Which can save you, depending on where you live, thousands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jmbarrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 09:39 AM   #22
G.D.BeanCounter
Banned

Watch: Sky DayDate 2
There are also ADs from my area who list their preowned selection on Chrono24. I imagine the same may be true for other locations.
G.D.BeanCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2018, 10:07 AM   #23
rolehex
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Never purchased from Chrono24, but I believe there is an Escrow Account service they offer. So seller doesn't get paid until you receive your watch. Don't kknow the details but its worth researching.
rolehex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:06 AM   #24
ChristinaC24
"TRF" Member

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfeeney View Post
Hello -

I currently sell pre-owned Rolex watches on Chrono24, and curious to hear what your customer/Buyer experience has been like. I hear it could be improved? From my perspective as a seller, it's exceeded expectation's - am I missing something? Thank you.
Hi Rob,

Christina here from Chrono24 :). Happy to hear that you have had a positive experience using the platform.

Chrono24 is really the leading marketplace for luxury watches. We have over 15 million visitors a month, and potential buyers in over 90 countries.

If you ever have questions or concerns, feel free to reach out us directly.
ChristinaC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 07:31 AM   #25
ChristinaC24
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
You should be careful, if things go sour they do nothing to help as some members have experienced.

The term trusted seller also means nothing on Chrono since everybody there is one

Always do your homework on the individual dealer and don't rely on Chrono.
Hi Joli160,

This is Christina from Chrono24. The Trusted Seller status is not given to just any dealer. All our dealers are vetted through our system. We make sure that all our dealers are legally registered businesses.

The “Trusted Seller” status is earned based on the number of completed transactions, positive feedback and reviews, and lastly the dealer must be registered on the site for at least 6 months or more.

If you ever want to buy a product from a Chrono24 dealer, we are happy to check their account for any available customer feedback.
You can always contact us directly at support@chrono24.com
😊
Old 27 April 2018, 06:11 AM   #26
ChristinaC24
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Hi Tyler,
Christina here form Chrono24. We do our best to make sure that all our dealers list items that are either available in stock or on request.

If you ever come across a listing where the dealer does not appear to have the watch in stock, please feel free to report this. You can use the “report suspicious offer” tab on the ad. We take this very seriously and would love to hear from you.

You can also send us an email directly at support@chrono24.com
😊 – Christina
Old 6 May 2018, 08:25 AM   #27
surrounded21
"TRF" Member

I purchased a piece from a private seller recently and it went quite well. The communication back and forth was easy and the escrow service would only let the seller receive funds when I gave the go ahead. I'm sure it could go sour in one way or another but for me it was pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
surrounded21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 May 2018, 09:25 PM   #28
THE FURY
"TRF" Member

I used Chrono24 last month with an international purchase. I was nervous with the process, however the seller responded to all my questions in a professional manner. I also did my own homework on the seller, ie. brick and mortar store, reviews from other sites. The transaction went smoothly and the Watch was exactly as described. The seller asked if I was happy with the process that they would appreciate positive feedback as the scoring system is vital to international sales for them.
THE FURY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 May 2018, 01:46 AM   #29
edweather
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Illuminator
@THE FURY, Who was the seller? Thanks, Ed
edweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 May 2018, 08:56 AM   #30
Mills_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaC24 View Post
Hi Tyler,
Christina here form Chrono24. We do our best to make sure that all our dealers list items that are either available in stock or on request.

If you ever come across a listing where the dealer does not appear to have the watch in stock, please feel free to report this. You can use the “report suspicious offer” tab on the ad. We take this very seriously and would love to hear from you.

😊 – Christina
For what it is worth, I have tried reporting spurious ads using "report suspicious ads" and the ads never get removed. In one example, the dealer in question literally stopped replying to me when I asked for a new photo of the watch because they don't actually own the watch. This particular dealer is listing about 15 dial variations of the same watch with similar stock photos.
Mills_ is offline   Reply With Quote