The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 26 April 2018, 12:42 PM   #31
Rad22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust 41

I would want a brand new watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
126710 BLRO
326934 Blue
Rad22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:42 PM   #32
JM0127
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I, too, prefer purchasing from an AD. However I would expect a same 15-20% off on a PM piece from there.
BINGO. No way no how.
JM0127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:43 PM   #33
Louis (Toronto)
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster & SubC
You didn’t ask for or were offered a discount on a PM piece?

Just out of curiosity, what watch are you trying to get that you are ok paying full retail for a PM Rolex ?
Louis (Toronto) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:46 PM   #34
yoniman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116234, 116613LB
Gasp!
I just had a heart attack.

Demand a BNIB. Looks like someone before you got it overplayed with the crown..
Sorry to hear this.
yoniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:46 PM   #35
busytimmy
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Um, besides the obvious fact you paid wayyyy too much for this watch, I would agree with those who state you should demand a replacement watch.
busytimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 12:56 PM   #36
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseig001 View Post
Oh yeah, I paid retail. Trying to build that all important relationship....

You’re just messing with us right?
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:06 PM   #37
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

What he paid has nothing to do with extra service expectations. Air king will get the same quality control from the same workers from the same company. A refund is required regardless what model of Rolex this happens to.
Old 26 April 2018, 01:12 PM   #38
opaline460
"TRF" Member

I would ask for an new watch.
opaline460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:15 PM   #39
woof
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS daytona, Hulk,
Thats horrible!! I hope you get your money back
MoonPhase, Rootbeer
Batman, Sub, Blk GMT, Pepsi,YG Daytona, TTSD, Batgirl, 5167/1A, Speedy, P01, OP, Kermit
woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:16 PM   #40
c41006
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pelagos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
What he paid has nothing to do with extra service expectations. Air king will get the same quality control from the same workers from the same company. A refund is required regardless what model of Rolex this happens to.

I agree. I’d be just as upset either way.
c41006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:18 PM   #41
PJitz
"TRF" Member

An AD suggesting you take this to the RSC and not dealing with the situation themselves is not an AD worth building a relationship with - let alone paying retail on PM
PJitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:25 PM   #42
dafuture
"TRF" Member

I'd demand a new one or refund. I would not under any circumstances have that serviced.
Old 26 April 2018, 01:34 PM   #43
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJitz View Post
An AD suggesting you take this to the RSC and not dealing with the situation themselves is not an AD worth building a relationship with - let alone paying retail on PM
The AD is asking for the watch back to deal with. I suggested taking it to the RSC. AD is in Maui; OP is in Los Angeles.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:41 PM   #44
liuk3
"TRF" Member

Sooo... the crown fell out on my 2 day old smurf

I don’t think it’s a big deal especially if you live in Los Angeles. Just swing by the RSC in Beverly Hills and have it fixed. I had an Exp2 bought from a local AD where the case back just came off in my hands shortly after I bought it. I went to the RSC in Beverly Hills, and they fixed it while I waited. I’ve never had another problem with the watch. That’s what warranty is for. I think that people are fanning the flames and blowing it out of proportion. Good luck.
Old 26 April 2018, 01:49 PM   #45
Rogdogg
"TRF" Member

While I understand your disappointment as I would be very upset also it's not actually a very serious problem and can be fixed quite easily.

I personally would do one of two things (in this order).

1.) ask for a refund on the watch and then buy elsewhere, either AD or TS and get a rather large discount.
(I don't think they will do this now that they have your money but I would at least try)

2.) Keep the watch and bring it to your local RSC to have them repair it for you.
I would not send it all the way back to Maui unless I was getting either a refund or new watch. I wouldn't bother sending it all the way back there to be repaired.
They may even do it while you wait and you can wear your watch home same day.
Old 26 April 2018, 01:50 PM   #46
jets
"TRF" Member

I think you bought the wrong one
Seiko SLA033 Willard · SKX007
jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 01:55 PM   #47
NKflyer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liuk3 View Post
I don’t think it’s a big deal especially if you live in Los Angeles. Just swing by the RSC in Beverly Hills and have it fixed. I had an Exp2 bought from a local AD where the case back just came off in my hands shortly after I bought it. I went to the RSC in Beverly Hills, and they fixed it while I waited. I’ve never had another problem with the watch. That’s what warranty is for. I think that people are fanning the flames and blowing it out of proportion. Good luck.
Agree 100%. The stem can be extracted and then the crown can be screwed back on the stem using a tiny bit of loctite and popped back in. Or if the stem is broken (can't tell from your photo), then new stem. Get it pressure tested and it'll be indistinguishable from new.

Don't get me wrong... I would be mega pissed off too. But if you want to be without the watch for the least amount of time and not have to deal with trying to return to an out-of-state AD, then put emotion aside and have it fixed. Also, maybe you can leverage this debacle for a discount on a future purchase.
NKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 02:10 PM   #48
superlativechrono
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear this - I feel your pain. I had this happen with an Omega once. Brand new piece, literally hours old and the crown came off in my hand while manually winding (8500 movement). In this instance I was unable to negotiate a direct swap. Been 100% Rolex since then..... I have full confidence that Rolex will support you.
superlativechrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 03:02 PM   #49
siempreko
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sometimes
I messed my drawers, just reading this... definitely sent it to RSC!

Clearly communicate your frustration and disappointment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
siempreko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 03:09 PM   #50
dseig001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat Dd
So the AD just sent me a label to send it back to them to sort it out.

I made a mention that I am very unhappy and expect some sort of recognition (recourse?) they stated that they plan to “make me whole and happy”

It sounds like they are sending it to RSC themselves anyway.

Send it back or drive over to the RSC? Both are doable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dseig001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 03:17 PM   #51
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Send it back or drive over to the RSC? Both are doable.
It's up to you, but I think it's a good bet you'll be without your watch longer if you send it back to Maui. There's no RSC on any of the islands, so they'll be sending it back to the mainland anyway. The shipping alone would take days, whereas it sounds like it's possible the RSC could fix this while you wait. On the other hand, if you let the dealer handle it, that will reinforce your relationship with them, which might pay off in the long run if you intend to continue doing business with them.

By the way, just for my own curiosity (not to shame them), was this the dealer in Lahaina, or Wailea? The pics in your incoming thread looked like the Shops at Wailea, but I couldn't be sure.
Old 26 April 2018, 03:22 PM   #52
dseig001
"TRF" Member

Watch: Plat Dd
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonStone View Post
It's up to you, but I think it's a good bet you'll be without your watch longer if you send it back to Maui. There's no RSC on any of the islands, so they'll be sending it back to the mainland anyway. The shipping alone would take days, whereas it sounds like it's possible the RSC could fix this while you wait. On the other hand, if you let the dealer handle it, that will reinforce your relationship with them, which might pay off in the long run if you intend to continue doing business with them.

By the way, just for my own curiosity (not to shame them), was this the dealer in Lahaina, or Wailea? The pics in your incoming thread looked like the Shops at Wailea, but I couldn't be sure.

I was hesitant to say where, but as I have learned today that they are the same owner and people, I’ll just say.

It was at Lahaina. My salesperson was very kind, got on the phone with her boss ASAP, and asked to print a label and send it back to them ASAP to remedy the issue with many apologies.

I really just want my watch back soon.
dseig001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 03:33 PM   #53
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I was hesitant to say where, but as I have learned today that they are the same owner and people, I’ll just say.

It was at Lahaina. My salesperson was very kind, got on the phone with her boss ASAP, and asked to print a label and send it back to them ASAP to remedy the issue with many apologies.

I was only asking because I've been to the dealer in Wailea. Haven't been to the one in Lahaina. It sounds like they're doing their best to make it right; I don't think they've done anything wrong. I wish you a speedy resolution, whichever option you choose.
Old 26 April 2018, 03:41 PM   #54
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Quote:
Bummed for you on the crown. But like others have said, not a big deal and can be sorted quickly. I'd send it to the AD and have them sort it out unless you have time on your hands to take it to the RSC yourself.

Even with the missing crown your new sub looks great!!
vipereaper30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 03:48 PM   #55
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Huge congrats with this beautiful watch, the loose crown is really a minor fix. No refund required . Your AD will surely fix it with high priority
Old 26 April 2018, 03:53 PM   #56
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

this is why i get paranoid with PM watches. Because PM sits longer at AD's and ive seen how people constantly play with the crowns and in the case of a sky dweller, the bezel. So its not shocking to me that this happens with tons of people messing with it before you buy it. SS doesn't sit long enough for the number of people messing with it to concern me.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 04:02 PM   #57
Rocket_Man
"TRF" Member

hmmm.... while very disappointing that this happened, if it were me I'd take it to the RSC there in Beverly Hills myself to at least have them tell me what happened to my brand new Rolex. Maybe they did not apply locktite to those threads on the stem in the crown. Can you see any locktite on the threads?

As for the AD giving you a replacement, very unlikely they can just pull another one of those out of the safe. A refund? Again, not likely, you already own it and I assume you have the warranty card. There is nothing about this repair that cannot be 100% returned to new condition by the RSC.

Why does an AD in Hawaii want a customer who is right next door to an RSC to ship it to them? Ship it from LA to HI, they ship it to the closest RSC... Beverly Hills, then they ship it back to the AD in HI, the AD ships it back to you in LA????? Doesn't make sense. Maybe they plan to have a local watchmaker repair it. I'd rather it be under my control.

You walk into the RSC with a new $37K Rolex with the crown off and I'm sure they will fix it right on the spot out of shear embarrassment.

And now this AD owes you on your next purchase. Make them feel bad about it until they get you that DaytonaC White dial.
Rocket_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 04:18 PM   #58
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_Man View Post
Maybe they plan to have a local watchmaker repair it. I'd rather it be under my control.
Excellent point. If OP does send it back to the AD, he would be well advised to be clear on what they intend to do with the watch, including where they intend to send it for repair.
Old 26 April 2018, 04:26 PM   #59
Cubdrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710
IIRC, the OP made a separate incoming post about picking up his WG Sub as part of a 4-piece Rolex combo with watches for his wife, father, and mother too. I would certainly expect VIP treatment from B&L from here on out. To the OP, they also run a shop out in Palm Springs (without the B of B&L), since you’re from LA.
Cubdrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 April 2018, 04:55 PM   #60
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Yeah that's crazy, I've never heard/seen such a thing with a Rolex. Go buy a lottery ticket! One of my favorite watches was bought on Friday the 13th...lol.

I would take it to RSC BH and I'd tell the AD that they need to sell you a Stainless Daytona Ceramic for retail, no tax, free shipping.
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote