The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 September 2019, 09:57 AM   #1
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Royal Oak Offshore VS Daytona OF

I’m a Rolex lover, what’s not to love about the brand? Besides the BS wait times.

Anyway need some help, I was very interested in the 116519LN but just couldn’t justify spending that much for a watch with a rubber band so I put it on the back burner.

Recently been lusting over AP royal oak offshores 42-44mm. Yet to try one on though as there isn’t any dealers here for them besides one who doesn’t have any stock. Also haven’t tried the 519ln before either so I don’t know what it’s going to wear like so I’m in the middle.

Hoping someone can chime in that has both? The only reason for this thread is because after looking at the APs price point is for steel/titanium and I might as wel dip into my first PM and get the Daytona for similar money??? Or is the AP a worlds better watch ?

Current collection
SubC
BLNR
Ss skyd white dial

Will most likely be replacing the SubC if I was to get either of the two.

Thanks
ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 11:22 AM   #2
bund
"TRF" Member

I have the 42 ROO and 116519 and they both get equal amount of wrist time.

Regarding how they wear, I think it will depend on the offshore models you are looking at since they wear different for different materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 11:40 AM   #3
othertbone
Banned

Watch: Rolex/AP/Vin Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwatchguy View Post
I’m a Rolex lover, what’s not to love about the brand? Besides the BS wait times.

Anyway need some help, I was very interested in the 116519LN but just couldn’t justify spending that much for a watch with a rubber band so I put it on the back burner.

Recently been lusting over AP royal oak offshores 42-44mm. Yet to try one on though as there isn’t any dealers here for them besides one who doesn’t have any stock. Also haven’t tried the 519ln before either so I don’t know what it’s going to wear like so I’m in the middle.

Hoping someone can chime in that has both? The only reason for this thread is because after looking at the APs price point is for steel/titanium and I might as wel dip into my first PM and get the Daytona for similar money??? Or is the AP a worlds better watch ?

Current collection
SubC
BLNR
Ss skyd white dial

Will most likely be replacing the SubC if I was to get either of the two.

Thanks

The best advice that will serve you well no matter what you do, is to buy what you love, not what is available or what is the best price.

You may need to wait a little longer or save a little more, but you will have a piece that you cherish and will keep for a lifetime.

Otherwise in a year you will most likely be looking to sell or trade what you settled for. And at a big loss.

You can read this same story over hundreds of TRF threads, don't make the same mistake brother!
othertbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 12:09 PM   #4
s14roller
"TRF" Member

Love them both. I think it would make sense adding some diversity to your collection.
s14roller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 12:17 PM   #5
TimeToWatch
Banned

Watch: Rolex & AP
If you like the 519LN without having seen it in the flesh, I can almost guarantee you'll absolutely love it in person. Pictures simply do not do the watch justice.

It is the perfect marriage of classic Rolex heritage with the latest Rolex technology. I think too many people are hung up on the whole rubber argument. A stainless Aquanaut on a completely inferior rubber strap costs over $40k and no one blinks. If it's a hangup for you, take solace in the fact that this watch also trades over MSRP so your downside risk is negligible if you get in at retail. My vote is decidedly for the Daytona
TimeToWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 12:28 PM   #6
djyolky
Banned

Opinions are like a holes, now let me be one. I'm not a fan of the Daytona and the would much rather prefer the AP chrono.

Now the real question, and it should be a rather simple question... Which one do you prefer?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
djyolky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 01:42 PM   #7
Dchan83
"TRF" Member

Roo wears really large...I don’t have an ad around me either in Sacramento so I bought on grey market and sold it because it swallowed my 6.75” wrist...will definitely go back to ap because the level of finishing is astounding but this time will be a 39mm...they are different watches for different occasions...
Dchan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 01:53 PM   #8
Rodrigo082
"TRF" Member

I would definitely go with the AP - it’s an upgrade in your collection and to be honest, the Daytona is juts an icon but nothing else - AP will turn heads immediately
Rodrigo082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 01:59 PM   #9
Monty22
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126715CHNR, 116400
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post
If you like the 519LN without having seen it in the flesh, I can almost guarantee you'll absolutely love it in person. Pictures simply do not do the watch justice.

It is the perfect marriage of classic Rolex heritage with the latest Rolex technology. I think too many people are hung up on the whole rubber argument. A stainless Aquanaut on a completely inferior rubber strap costs over $40k and no one blinks. If it's a hangup for you, take solace in the fact that this watch also trades over MSRP so your downside risk is negligible if you get in at retail. My vote is decidedly for the Daytona

Agreed. Unless you have seen and tried on the 519LN, the narrative on the band appears to just be an echo from non-owners on this forum of the reference and what is justifiable, etc...most of which sounds like justification for paying way over retail for a SS pieceThat “band” is a bracelet and the technology is incredible. If you have tried it on, disregard the above, if you have not, consider the above.

As far as the ROO is concerned:

1. They wear big (as mentioned on this thread)
2. While the case finish is on another level, most of the bands in that line are not even close to the OF offered by Rolex

My .02

Monty22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 02:34 PM   #10
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bund View Post
I have the 42 ROO and 116519 and they both get equal amount of wrist time.

Regarding how they wear, I think it will depend on the offshore models you are looking at since they wear different for different materials.

noted thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by othertbone View Post
The best advice that will serve you well no matter what you do, is to buy what you love, not what is available or what is the best price.

You may need to wait a little longer or save a little more, but you will have a piece that you cherish and will keep for a lifetime.

Otherwise in a year you will most likely be looking to sell or trade what you settled for. And at a big loss.

You can read this same story over hundreds of TRF threads, don't make the same mistake brother!
thanks bro I always buy what I like, I've made the mistake before and luckily it didn't cost me.

the difference in the scenario is I love both, I went looking for an AP and soon realised I wrote off the Daytona because I couldn't justify spending that match for a rubber band and now realised Id be spending similar money for an AP on rubber but in steel/titanium not white gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14roller View Post
Love them both. I think it would make sense adding some diversity to your collection.
that's my thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToWatch View Post

when it was released it was love at first sight. I completely wrote it off due to the price/rubber band.

So recently I've been looking at APs ROO as I want a rubber band watch and then remembered I wrote the Daytona off due to price/rubber but now Im considering spending the similar amount for another rubber watch but in steel/titanium.

Suddenly I can justify the Daytona as I'm also getting white gold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djyolky View Post
Opinions are like a holes, now let me be one. I'm not a fan of the Daytona and the would much rather prefer the AP chrono.

Now the real question, and it should be a rather simple question... Which one do you prefer?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Yes I know what you mean and they are both completely different watches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchan83 View Post
Roo wears really large...I don’t have an ad around me either in Sacramento so I bought on grey market and sold it because it swallowed my 6.75” wrist...will definitely go back to ap because the level of finishing is astounding but this time will be a 39mm...they are different watches for different occasions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo082 View Post
I would definitely go with the AP - it’s an upgrade in your collection and to be honest, the Daytona is juts an icon but nothing else - AP will turn heads immediately

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22 View Post
Agreed. Unless you have seen and tried on the 519LN, the narrative on the band appears to just be an echo from non-owners on this forum of the reference and what is justifiable, etc...most of which sounds like justification for paying way over retail for a SS pieceThat “band” is a bracelet and the technology is incredible. If you have tried it on, disregard the above, if you have not, consider the above.

As far as the ROO is concerned:

1. They wear big (as mentioned on this thread)
2. While the case finish is on another level, most of the bands in that line are not even close to the OF offered by Rolex

My .02

something I need to consider
ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 02:44 PM   #11
HK Islandboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
The one Daytona that I’ve been tempted by is the WG on OF. It is a great watch...but I have not bought one and do own a number of ROOs

Some pics below on my 7” wrist to give a comparison of how they wear

HK Islandboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 02:54 PM   #12
ArL
"TRF" Member

Depend on ur wrist, i really like AP ROO ghost but its too big for me and Daytona fit me perfectly.

ArL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2019, 10:02 PM   #13
MattyL147
"TRF" Member

2 very different watches aside from them both being chronos. They’re going to wear totally different. The ROO is massive.

I just picked up the OF last week and love it! The ROO wasn’t on my radar at all so I can’t really help, but I do love the OF!
MattyL147 is offline   Reply With Quote