The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!! > eBay & Internet Sales WatchOut

Old 21 December 2020, 07:45 AM   #1
prolexpaul
"TRF" Member

bought 2016 116613LB on eBay - thoughts?

help

paid $13k for a 2016 bluesy with box and papers and original receipt from private seller. I attached pics.. anything look suspicious? Always wary of eBay but based on prices out there this seems reasonable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf s-l1600.pdf (221.1 KB, 332 views)
File Type: pdf s-l1600-11.pdf (194.1 KB, 229 views)
File Type: pdf s-l1600-4.pdf (238.8 KB, 214 views)
File Type: pdf s-l1600-2.pdf (224.5 KB, 214 views)
prolexpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 08:04 AM   #2
EndlessEight
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
Only way to know is to have an AD open it.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 08:07 AM   #3
BogdanS
"TRF" Member

Take it to a RSC for a service estimate ar bracelet link add, its an indirect way to have it authenticated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BogdanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 08:32 AM   #4
LFDAmelio
Banned

E-bay has the authentication service so you should be good, unless you and seller side-stepped it shipping it directly from him to you. It's mandatory these days for both buyer and seller protection on luxury watches. I just sold an Omega there, it only added two days to the process.
LFDAmelio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 08:48 AM   #5
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prolexpaul View Post
help

paid $13k for a 2016 bluesy with box and papers and original receipt from private seller. I attached pics.. anything look suspicious? Always wary of eBay but based on prices out there this seems reasonable.
I second BogdanS' advice to put it into RSC.

I share your suspicion and personally wouldn't buy off a private seller on Ebay, too many questions (for you too I guess).

Yeah AD only for me for this sort of thing and if they can't offer it to me then no problem, it's forgotten.
drrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 09:23 AM   #6
prolexpaul
"TRF" Member

Authenticator

Seller wants to bypass eBay authentication claiming that if they open watch and may cause damage to it.

I called eBay and asked if she ships to me am I still covered by eBay protection ? I am

Seller has original receipt as well from AD

Seems ok but I like to make sure when I spend $13k

Paul
Old 21 December 2020, 10:11 AM   #7
RolexSimon
"TRF" Member

Several ways to spot even a good quality fake with high res closeups of the bezel, laser-etching on the crystal, dial detail, font on the date wheel and back end of the minute hand, amongst others. The dot at 12 on the bezel doesn't look 100% central and yet the detail on the bezel looks reasonably OK. Dial looks pretty good but you really need a loupe or better close-ups.
RolexSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 10:21 AM   #8
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Buy the caseback set yourself. On amazon or ebay. 5 seconds to open it yourself. Not that difficult and you dont need an ad for that. And you can use it down the line as your collection grows or to help a friend. Buy a decent loupe also. It will
Help you learn about watches and how to spot even good fakes within seconds. This forum is a wealth of knowledge. Post pictures here when you get the watch.
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 10:24 AM   #9
Jpccarguy
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy17 View Post
Buy the caseback set yourself. On amazon or ebay. 5 seconds to open it yourself. Not that difficult and you dont need an ad for that. And you can use it down the line as your collection grows or to help a friend. Buy a decent loupe also. It will
Help you learn about watches and how to spot even good fakes within seconds. This forum is a wealth of knowledge. Post pictures here when you get the watch.
Good advice, and faster peace of mind than RSC. I personally would not be too concerned, as you seem to have all the provenance expected. Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Jpccarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 10:25 AM   #10
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Seller wants to bypass eBay authentication claiming that if they open watch and may cause damage to it.

I called eBay and asked if she ships to me am I still covered by eBay protection ? I am

Paul

That would be a huge red flag to me.

Side step an approved and trusted authentication process ?!?

Why would you still be considering buying this watch.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 10:40 AM   #11
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoy17 View Post
This. I bought the Bergeon No. 5537 Rolex caseback opener set years ago when I bought my first Rolex, a 1675. The first thing I do after receiving a newly purchased watch is open it up for a close inspection of the movement and internal condition of the case.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 10:51 AM   #12
jimcarver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
help

Quote:

Paul
"Always wary of eBay" but you sent 13k to a private seller who is going out of his way to sidestep a verification process with a pretty flimsy excuse. No verification, no deal, simple as that.

I haven't even looked at the pictures because they could be completely irrelevant, anyone can download pics of a legit watch from the web and make an eBay listing.
jimcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 11:00 AM   #13
vh2k
"TRF" Member

So many scams out there. If you drop $13K for a watch from an unknown seller on eBay (even after knowing there’s a good chance you’ll be scammed)... don’t expect sympathy when you lose your money.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 11:34 AM   #14
Bladeshot
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
bought 2016 116613LB on eBay - thoughts?

OP,
This is a huge red flag. eBay has the authentication process in place to protect themselves (eBay), and you, and sellers. There can be scams on both ends of these transactions - buyers and sellers running scams.

Don’t side step the process eBay has in place. It’s there to protect you. I don’t know how it works, but I bet if you opt to avoid the authentication process, you are waiving your right to dispute the authenticity. Why would they bother to have such a process, if they were willing to assume risk when people do not follow it. They are working to minimize their risk and yours.

Good luck and I’m tuned in hoping for a great outcome.

FTR,
I’ve bought and sold Rolex on eBay for years, but not since the new process went into place.
Old 21 December 2020, 07:03 PM   #15
drrd
"TRF" Member

Just seen updates.

Crazy.

Pictures or didn’t happen!
Old 21 December 2020, 07:10 PM   #16
VonSomething
"TRF" Member

The watch on the picture is 100% genuine but who knows if this is what you're going to receive if seller wants to by-pass the authentication?

I don't know how you're covered, I guess it depends on payment method. If you pay with Paypal or Credit-card you should be covered in case you receive a fake.

You don't need to open anything to see if the watch is gen, all you gotta do is throw it on a scale to weigh it. Can't fake solid gold.
VonSomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 08:06 PM   #17
Waitlisted Watches
"TRF" Member

only way to truly know is asking an experienced watch maker to open it up
Waitlisted Watches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 09:25 PM   #18
Jb1264
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitlisted Watches View Post
only way to truly know is asking an experienced watch maker to open it up
Or risk ending up with an expensive paperweight
Jb1264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 December 2020, 10:03 PM   #19
rambo99
Banned

Watch: SD43,PAM1616,Hulk
the pictures shown is a fully stickered submariner, just return it and ask for refund straight away if the watch you received is not stickered.
rambo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 12:15 AM   #20
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Pictures don’t work.

blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 01:05 AM   #21
Stan Cooper
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
Pictures don’t work.
The pictures are attached .pdf files and work fine with the latest Adobe Acrobat reader.

Free download from Adobe HERE.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 01:12 PM   #22
Wingslogo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sky Dweller
It’s a sickening feeling - I too bought probably what ended up being one of the best fakes ever made!

Got my back, I’m not certain if the seller even knew it was fake. Thank god we found out.

Wingslogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 December 2020, 10:58 PM   #23
prolexpaul
"TRF" Member

Update.... seller shipped to eBay authenticator. When you list watch it goes into authenticator program automatically and when you pay the only address the seller is provided is the authenticator.

I feel better about it but I will bring in to AD anyway to have caseback changed as the engraving means nothing to me.

Based on similar watches I guess the price is good.. I went to one of those "international jewellery exchange" places they have in FLorida where there are like 20 different vendor booths. There were many bluesy sub models.. none as pristine as this looks and very few had papers ... they wanted $13,500 for a 2012 one that was in good condition but it was clearly buffed out.

Anyway.. i am new to this kind of crazy rolex world... i have an Omega Aqua Terra .. much simpler world. Thanks for all your help.. and when i receive i will post.
Old 24 December 2020, 07:19 AM   #24
drrd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Update.... seller shipped to eBay authenticator. When you list watch it goes into authenticator program automatically and when you pay the only address the seller is provided is the authenticator.

I feel better about it but I will bring in to AD anyway to have caseback changed as the engraving means nothing to me.

Based on similar watches I guess the price is good.. I went to one of those "international jewellery exchange" places they have in FLorida where there are like 20 different vendor booths. There were many bluesy sub models.. none as pristine as this looks and very few had papers ... they wanted $13,500 for a 2012 one that was in good condition but it was clearly buffed out.

Anyway.. i am new to this kind of crazy rolex world... i have an Omega Aqua Terra .. much simpler world. Thanks for all your help.. and when i receive i will post.
That sounds more like it
Old 3 January 2021, 06:48 PM   #25
Macnavara
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
So many scams out there. If you drop $13K for a watch from an unknown seller on eBay (even after knowing there’s a good chance you’ll be scammed)... don’t expect sympathy when you lose your money.
Why on earth would any one part with that sort of money before doing their homework....bit late afterwards.....I hope this ends well for the op
Old 17 January 2021, 09:04 AM   #26
alwaysontime0
"TRF" Member

Gee, it’s a bit tough to purchase from eBay considering the large amounts of scammers these days. Best of luck to you

alwaysontime0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2021, 11:50 PM   #27
Chopped54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116520, 116610lv,
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysontime0 View Post
Gee, it’s a bit tough to purchase from eBay considering the large amounts of scammers these days. Best of luck to you

It is not really, much better now days to buy or sell on Ebay with their new authentication process. The seller sends the watch to Ebay, they authenticate and then they send to the buyer. If the buyer refuses they must send it back to Ebay authenticator who then confirms that it is the same watch that was originally sent, then they send it back to the seller. Other than buying from a trusted seller, this appears to be the safest way to do an online transaction.
Old 21 February 2021, 02:08 AM   #28
thatwatchguy
"TRF" Member

I see this watch listed on eBay. What happened, OP?
thatwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2021, 07:15 AM   #29
freefly
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4&5-digit Sub/GMTs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
That would be a huge red flag to me.

Side step an approved and trusted authentication process ?!?

Why would you still be considering buying this watch.
As a seller, I too would be apprehensive about sending a watch to some unknown "authenticator". What happens if they damage/scratch the watch while "authenticating" it, and do not disclose/admit to it?
What happens when the "authenticator" then sends it off to the buyer, who rejects it as "not as described" (or any other reason), and returns it to you? No thanks...
freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2021, 10:54 AM   #30
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Jeebus. Another 'buy first, check later.'

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"