The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 September 2021, 12:25 PM   #1
Pekoblue
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Datejust 1603
Recommendation for Minor Polishing

I have a Rolex SS 1603 Datejust that goes back to 1974. After 15 or more years, it was just recently fully serviced by an independent watchmaker and runs unbelievably ... just like new.

I was not happy with the sides of the case as well as the case back. You could tell it still has the original polish but it was so dull and it was bothering me.

I found a metal polish called Autsol. It comes is a 3.3 oz tube and is made in Germany. It is quite expensive at $18.30 Cdn, has won international awards and is used by some of the big German automakers.

I masked off the crystal and parts of the case I did not want to polish. It is so easy to dispense a small amount from the 'toothpaste like' tube right onto the end of a Q-tip. I used Q-tips liberally for polishing the sides of the case and the case back. They were discarded or rotated after becoming 'blackened' by the polishing.

Deeper marks or pits are not removed so there is still an aged look to my watch. However, that dull look has been replaced by a wonderful shine! I am so much happier.

This is a pretty easy method by hand and no power tools required, lol. BTW, if there is any small of amounts of powder residue in crevices, just use an old soft toothbrush.

So ... Autsol is highly recommended and I still have enough left for another 47 years of Rolex life.

Regards
Pekoblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2021, 09:15 PM   #2
Pekoblue
"TRF" Member

Edit: I should have mentioned that if you want to see the results of this product in use just go to YouTube and do a search using ‘Autosol’. Regards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2021, 06:14 AM   #3
Pekoblue
"TRF" Member

Edit #2: Please note that the correct product name is ‘Autosol’.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 16 September 2021, 12:00 PM   #4
Nick9
"TRF" Member

I use a UK product called Peak, and a small piece of leather chamois. You can buy Peak at Canadian Tire (when you run out, that would be in 2058, I guess). It’s a little less expensive, but by 2058, who knows.

Same result. The shine will go away after a little while; still looks good.
Nick9 is offline   Reply With Quote