The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 27 September 2021, 10:01 PM   #1
pevadijk
"TRF" Member

Watch: Datejust 126200
Condensation and unscrewed crown?

Ok, maybe this is a stupid question, but......
Yesterday I picked up my 2021 Datejust from my safe and since it had been there for about a week, it's wasn't running ;-)

So I unscrewed the crown to wind it, but since my watch was rather cold it was covered with condensation within seconds, is this bad with the crown unscrewed and is it possible that condensation entered the watch?
pevadijk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 01:29 AM   #2
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

It's hard to speculate exactly what did or didn't happen. Millions of people unscrew their crowns to reset the time when they arrive at a island for vacation. The air is probably 95% humidity. There may not be a temperature differential to see condensation, but moist air could potentially enter regardless. That said, the stem of the watch should still be in contact with a seal even when the crown is unscrewed. It won't have full depth water resistant capabilities of course, but there shouldn't be a open "hole" where air can just "blow in", if that makes sense.

On a related topic, I've seen posts before about watches being damaged over the long term due to the internal conditions in a safe. Ideally your safe should be a reasonable temperature and a reasonable humidity. If you are pulling a watch out and it feels noticeably cold or wet, you may want to evaluate the environment. Would be a shame if the thing designed to keep your watches safe actually causes them to be damaged.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 02:17 AM   #3
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by pevadijk View Post
. . .

So I unscrewed the crown to wind it, but since my watch was rather cold it was covered with condensation within seconds, is this bad with the crown unscrewed and is it possible that condensation entered the watch?
No, it has no affect.

When you unscrew the crown you are not opening up a hole to the inside of your watch, the seals are inside the watch and work all of the time.
Old 30 September 2021, 07:28 PM   #4
pevadijk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
No, it has no affect.

When you unscrew the crown you are not opening up a hole to the inside of your watch, the seals are inside the watch and work all of the time.
Thanks!
And since my watch is only 4 months old, there's no need to worry about the quality of the seals
Old 30 September 2021, 07:38 PM   #5
pevadijk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
On a related topic, I've seen posts before about watches being damaged over the long term due to the internal conditions in a safe. Ideally your safe should be a reasonable temperature and a reasonable humidity. If you are pulling a watch out and it feels noticeably cold or wet, you may want to evaluate the environment. Would be a shame if the thing designed to keep your watches safe actually causes them to be damaged.
Thanks, I have some things to think about, maybe I should move the safe away from the brick wall.
Old 30 September 2021, 07:46 PM   #6
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
No, it has no affect.

I’m with Larry on this thread.

Had the condensation been inside the watch I may have agreed more with Jeff.

I take it the condensation was outside?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 September 2021, 08:25 PM   #7
pevadijk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post

I take it the condensation was outside?
Yes, just the outside. I suspect that my hands were a bit 'hot' after washing my hands and the watch was colder, since the condensation was 'heavy' on the parts that I touched with my fingers.
But maybe I'm just overthinking the situation, most will people would probably just wipe it off and be done with it.
Old 30 September 2021, 10:38 PM   #8
HiBoost
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post

I’m with Larry on this thread.

Had the condensation been inside the watch I may have agreed more with Jeff.

? I literally said the exact same thing he said - the stem has a seal and there is open no hole where air can just "blow in". This assumes the watch is in good condition of course.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote