The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 April 2012, 06:46 AM   #61
Keeperoftime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawnshopkiller View Post
Reading this make me understand how blind some of you are. Don't you know that many of the beloved Vintage and modern watches look like dog crap when found?????

Don't be so harsh. Trust me alot of your watches looked like this at one time any you never even knew it.
Word.

It wouldn't hurt to ask if he would take less.
I would offer 1200
Old 23 April 2012, 10:57 AM   #62
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
Keep in mind that EVERYONE wants one of these subs. Close a deal w your friend. His price of 2k is fair since it has papers. Pay a few hundred extra to get it. If you drag, someone else will snap it up. Pay him 1500 to 1800. It's a prime quality project. I would pay this even if there was NO movement inside. 'quality is always remembered, price is usually forgotten '. Harry
X2 Harry. And, again, forget the Rolex Service Center. Their prices are outrageous and there are many competent watchmakers in the USA that are able to repair this watch and source the necessary parts.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2012, 08:50 PM   #63
buffy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
My understanding is that Rolex will service even older watches than this one. I think you will find you can still get a watch which was made in the sixties still serviced by Rolex. Typically it depends on what parts they have availible, and since they or the companies that supplied these parts made so many over the years they often service watches which are fairly old. It would definitely be in Rolexs' best interest to be able to service older watches. If they don't I'm sure more people would have a problem buying one in the first place.

Now there are instances where RSC NY may refuse to service a watch with an excotic dial like a Red Sub, but this is for other reasons than parts availibility. But even San Francisco and Dallas will perform a service on a Red Sub from what I have heard.

However what RSC may do is replace parts of the watch which vintage collectors would not wish to replace such as dials and hands. Those things which tend to destroy the value of the vintage watch, however those are parts that tend to be less than prestine or less than fully functional in Rolexs' eyes.

But I don't know where you would get the idea Rolex wouldn't or couldn't service a watch over 25 years old?
Don’t know about Rolex in US, but my AD here in Europe had some problems with my 1680, so he sent it to Rolex in Genève to fix it. And it is older than 25 years.
buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2012, 10:23 PM   #64
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
Extremely interesting I mean

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2012, 10:36 PM   #65
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy View Post
Don’t know about Rolex in US, but my AD here in Europe had some problems with my 1680, so he sent it to Rolex in Genève to fix it. And it is older than 25 years.
Yes but that's an AD.

I was talking about service centers, there is a very distinct difference.

Besides it appears as THE Rolex service center was able to address it.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 April 2012, 11:53 PM   #66
mws222
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonedcl View Post
Thanks for all the advice now my next question is:
Is there a watch maker in North NJ or NYC (preferably north NJ) that I can have open the back and tell me if there is cattywampus inside the movement before I buy it? The genral consensus is telling me to stay away from the RSC so i would rather have someone other then them open the watch and take a look inside. My co-worker will let me take it for a few days before I decide if I want it to get it checked out.
Central watch in grand central would probably take a look for you
mws222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2012, 12:41 AM   #67
buffy
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Yes but that's an AD.

I was talking about service centers, there is a very distinct difference.

Besides it appears as THE Rolex service center was able to address it.
Like I said, I don’t know how it is in the US. But over here we don’t have a Service Center only AD that does the work. And it was no problem shipping the watch over to the head office in Genève.
buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2012, 12:58 AM   #68
John in MA
"TRF" Member

I personally missed the box and papers part.

If he'll take 1500 for it, give him 1500 for it now.
John in MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2012, 01:11 AM   #69
Mark020
"TRF" Member

+1. A steal!
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2012, 01:39 AM   #70
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy View Post
Like I said, I don’t know how it is in the US. But over here we don’t have a Service Center only AD that does the work. And it was no problem shipping the watch over to the head office in Genève.
Sorry, I guess I must have misunderstood your initial post. I didn't realize you don't have service centers availilbe locally.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 24 April 2012, 09:46 AM   #71
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
Buy it...
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2012, 11:07 AM   #72
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Honestly????? I'd pass.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2012, 11:25 AM   #73
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116200, 116610
There seems to be a lot of people that say its a steal for $1000- $1500 and there are many that would not touch it?
I personally think it would be like a nice little project for me (well not me) but for someone to fix it up for me and have some vintage in my rotation.. When I first started collecting watches I did not understand vintage and did not think I would want a vintage piece but the more and more I hang out here I am starting to see the beauty in them..
He is not going to sell it to anyone but me , when he brought it in my co-workers where laughing at it saying the movement goes backwards and its missing the bezel but I see past all that and I see a one owner sub that needs alot of TLC but it can be great again!~
Stonedcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2012, 11:38 AM   #74
Wolfgang427
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex Tudor Omega
$1k is a deal, any more and its not worth the trouble. Give me a call if you like and I'll look it over in person for you if you want.
TRF member #917
Wolfgang427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 April 2012, 12:54 PM   #75
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
The ones who say they would not touch it... Did they PM you to work a deal for it too? LOL it's a great watch
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 02:19 AM   #76
hatidua
"TRF" Member

I'd buy it if keeping/wearing it were the goal. If simply fixing it and flipping it is the agenda (which seems to be what I'm reading from the OP), I think there are better commodities to flip.
hatidua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 05:12 AM   #77
pawnshopkiller
Banned

Watch: 16618
Look what I got.........

pawnshopkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 05:19 AM   #78
Keeperoftime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws222 View Post
Central watch in grand central would probably take a look for you
I love that little shop .
Old 25 April 2012, 09:59 AM   #79
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Look what I got.........

That one is chipped at the 5 min mark!!

LOL.. J/K...

asked him about it and he is still at $2000 and I said $1000 and I will take it from you today.. He said he can't.. $1500 is the bottom or he will just let it rust away for another 25 years!!

I will get this watch it might take a couple of months but will get this watch for hopefully $1000.. we will see.. I will let you guys know.. thanks for the support and PM's..
Old 25 April 2012, 10:08 AM   #80
pawnshopkiller
Banned

yes it will match the spotted dial perfectly.
Old 25 April 2012, 10:09 AM   #81
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

To those people that say $1500 is not worth it look at this watch and what people are bidding on it, and the one my co-worker has is in ALOT better shape!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAMAGED-ROLE...ht_1154wt_1396
Old 25 April 2012, 10:24 AM   #82
pawnshopkiller
Banned

I told you before that these jokers don't know whats up.

It is easy to nay say at home in front of your computer.
Old 25 April 2012, 10:36 AM   #83
z32turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Varies
I'd take the risk to see if I could have it fixed and back to new for less than what a good condition would cost now. But I'm a risky kind of guy. Either way you'll probably not lose much $ and it would be fun to have basically a new 16800 IMHO.

Instagram @z32turbo
z32turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 10:43 AM   #84
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I told you before that these jokers don't know whats up.

It is easy to nay say at home in front of your computer.
Actually for some of us it's a valid concern whether we are in front of the computer or not, and the OP did ask for opinions. I can see why you might not understand this because your used to doing these types of things.

However I would much rather buy something in a better condition and not something that I have to worry what it might cost me in order to fix it. Not knowing what state it is in for sure and what it might cost to fix is a gamble I don't wish to take. I'd rather not find out I've just walked into a money pit or something where I could have just done better by buying a sure thing.

I don't have any experience in taking on these type of projects and I don't wish to at this time.

However I don't wish anyone ill will, and I do wish the OP success.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 25 April 2012, 10:50 AM   #85
Stonedcl
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Actually for some of us it's a valid concern whether we are in front of the computer or not, and the OP did ask for opinions. I can see why you might not understand this because your used to doing these types of things.

However I would much rather buy something in a better condition and not something that I have to worry what it might cost me in order to fix it. Not knowing what state it is in for sure and what it might cost to fix is a gamble I don't wish to take. I'd rather not find out I've just walked into a money pit or something where I could have just done better by buying a sure thing.

I don't have any experience in taking on these type of projects and I don't wish to at this time.

However I don't wish anyone ill will, and I do wish the OP success.

Understood but when you are dealing with a vintage rolex then nothing is a sure thing.. You can see a polished up red sub 1680 for $5000 and think you hit it big but when someone looks deeper into the movement then it could be rusted out or broke beyond repair or it can be that only the dial is original and everything else is cheap china replacements.. When people get vintage to restore and sell I am sure they cut corners to spend the least amount to make it presentable to sell. This watch can look like a heap on the outside but for all i know the movement could be perfect with just a broken mainspring and just $1000 can get this looking and working like a $5000 watch. You buy something like a vintage rolex it is always a gamble but if I buy it and get the work done myself by a expert watchmaker then at least I know it will be done right and last another 25 years...
Old 25 April 2012, 10:59 AM   #86
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Understood but when you are dealing with a vintage rolex then nothing is a sure thing.. You can see a polished up red sub 1680 for $5000 and think you hit it big but when someone looks deeper into the movement then it could be rusted out or broke beyond repair or it can be that only the dial is original and everything else is cheap china replacements.. When people get vintage to restore and sell I am sure they cut corners to spend the least amount to make it presentable to sell. This watch can look like a heap on the outside but for all i know the movement could be perfect with just a broken mainspring and just $1000 can get this looking and working like a $5000 watch. You buy something like a vintage rolex it is always a gamble but if I buy it and get the work done myself by a expert watchmaker then at least I know it will be done right and last another 25 years...
It sounds like this one works for you, I'm glad to hear that.

I bought a Red Sub, I paid for a service, that one worked for me.

Good luck with your watch.

Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 25 April 2012, 11:24 AM   #87
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
i agree with pawnshopkiller. good project watches are awesome. the link to that gnarly drowned piece is a mess. but the case is worth a cool $1500. hence the current price
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 April 2012, 09:01 PM   #88
Jason71
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Tudor Divers
Send the watch to Bob Ridley and get a service estimate. Then you know what you are getting into before you take the plunge

Just Say "NO" to Polishing
Card-Carrying Member of the Global Association of Retro-Grouch Curmudgeons
LIfe is too short to wear inexpensive watches
PLEXI IS SEXY
Jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2012, 07:00 AM   #89
dlack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
My understanding is that Rolex will service even older watches than this one. I think you will find you can still get a watch which was made in the sixties still serviced by Rolex. Typically it depends on what parts they have availible, and since they or the companies that supplied these parts made so many over the years they often service watches which are fairly old. It would definitely be in Rolexs' best interest to be able to service older watches. If they don't I'm sure more people would have a problem buying one in the first place.

Now there are instances where RSC NY may refuse to service a watch with an excotic dial like a Red Sub, but this is for other reasons than parts availibility. But even San Francisco and Dallas will perform a service on a Red Sub from what I have heard.

However what RSC may do is replace parts of the watch which vintage collectors would not wish to replace such as dials and hands. Those things which tend to destroy the value of the vintage watch, however those are parts that tend to be less than prestine or less than fully functional in Rolexs' eyes.

But I don't know where you would get the idea Rolex wouldn't or couldn't service a watch over 25 years old?

I got the idea from Rolex of Canada in Toronto -- some might say, a reliable source. Simply phone and ask them.
dlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 April 2012, 07:05 AM   #90
HERITAGE82
"TRF" Member

Quote:
He is not going to sell it to anyone but me , when he brought it in my co-workers where laughing at it saying the movement goes backwards and its missing the bezel but I see past all that and I see a one owner sub that needs alot of TLC but it can be great again!~
Now thats the right Rolex attitude....fix her up and wear he heck out of it....
- Breitling Chronomat - 10th Anniv.
- Huguenin Freres Speedmaster Prototype
HERITAGE82 is offline   Reply With Quote