The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 4 April 2014, 04:14 PM   #31
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek View Post
Honestly there is no special trick. As the saying goes: blood, sweat and tears. I work a very intense 70 plus hours each week. Most of everything I buy is in the United States. There are so many amazing tiny little shops all over the country that find at least a few good watches over the course of a year. I chat with hundreds of people each week even if they don't sell me anything and when watches do come up for sale I pay up for them. I go to to at least 12 shows a year and buy pieces from other dealers as well. Sometimes I find something good on ebay.... sometimes.

The internet is double edged sword in this crazy watch world. Many original owners find me because I sell and list so many pieces but the margins are very small. It's impossible to buy a watch for cheap when you are listing it at market price. Of course, the stars line up a few times a month and great transactions happen. But at the end of the day it's about building strong relationships with good people and treating them honestly and fairly with each deal.

Very well said Jacek. Im thankful for your hard work. Its always interesting to see the new and amazing pieces you get in stock. Happy Hunting!
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 04:18 PM   #32
glocati
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675/3+16013
Quote:
Honestly there is no special trick. As the saying goes: blood, sweat and tears. I work a very intense 70 plus hours each week. Most of everything I buy is in the United States. There are so many amazing tiny little shops all over the country that find at least a few good watches over the course of a year. I chat with hundreds of people each week even if they don't sell me anything and when watches do come up for sale I pay up for them. I go to to at least 12 shows a year and buy pieces from other dealers as well. Sometimes I find something good on ebay.... sometimes.

The internet is double edged sword in this crazy watch world. Many original owners find me because I sell and list so many pieces but the margins are very small. It's impossible to buy a watch for cheap when you are listing it at market price. Of course, the stars line up a few times a month and great transactions happen. But at the end of the day it's about building strong relationships with good people and treating them honestly and fairly with each deal.
Well said, Jacek. Thanks for the insight/explanation Greg
glocati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 04:24 PM   #33
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Even though I am surrounded by myriad vintage shops here in Hong Kong, I couldn't resist the 1964 (birth year) Air King that Jacek sold me recently. I often browse the HQ Milton site, and will probably buy another from him in future.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 04:27 PM   #34
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Nice one Jacek. It's interesting to hear it from the horse's mouth.

I didn't think Japan was the answer - vintage is much more expensive here than it is in the states. It's true that Japan is vintage Rolex heaven, but you pay a premium for it.

I could probably fly from Tokyo to Jacek's place, pick up a piece, fly back and it would still be cheaper than buying it in Tokyo...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 05:08 PM   #35
southtexas
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocati View Post
Well said, Jacek. Thanks for the insight/explanation Greg
x2. Thanks very much for sharing your experiences with us!

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 09:11 PM   #36
nsumner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Quote:

Yes! Anyone who knows Jacek, knows he works his ass off.
nsumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 09:31 PM   #37
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:

Cool! Thanks for responding in this thread!
Old 4 April 2014, 10:42 PM   #38
jfmiii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750/16800/126710
Quote:

thanks for responding jacek. very interesting to hear directly from, imo, one of (if not the) best vintage dealers out there today.
jfmiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 11:11 PM   #39
JustinK
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1530,1665,1680
I bought a big block from Jacek last year and have nothing but positive things to say. He finds quality watches and the prices are reasonable IMHO. Always looking at his site for the next one.

JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 11:29 PM   #40
watchcrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: explorer II cream
Gee, it almost sounds like these vintage guys actually work at their business, firmly tongue in cheek. M
watchcrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 11:31 PM   #41
fumanku
"TRF" Member

Who the hell are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I can't speak for HQ Milton, but Ku's "amazing condition" watches are interesting, to say the least.
First time poster here guys, sorry for the late intro.

Who the hell are you and what are you talking about? I don't believe we've ever done business, so tell me what you are insinuating here and I will set you straight.
fumanku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 11:45 PM   #42
rmassony
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumanku View Post

Who the hell are you and what are you talking about? I don't believe we've ever done business, so tell me what you are insinuating here and I will set you straight.
Hahaha. Best first post ever.
rmassony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 11:49 PM   #43
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Eric's here! Gentlemen, start your engines...
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 11:53 PM   #44
FremStar
"TRF" Member

Watch: Wall Street
No worries with Ku! One of the very few honest vintage dealers I know! Glad to consider him a friend.

"A Watch Is An Emotional Object, And So, It Is The Responsibility Of The Brand To Create Emotion Through It's Products" - Georges Kern

"In the 1950s and 60s, they made the Ref 8171, which is a cult collectible—now that’s the ultimate Rolex you could own with a calendar and a moon phase.” - John Reardon

"Heh, heh, heh..." - Michael Kilyung
FremStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2014, 11:54 PM   #45
fumanku
"TRF" Member

Seems like there is some confusion here unintentionally and everything is OK.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE, CARRY ON!

fumanku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2014, 12:01 AM   #46
psv
"TRF" Member

Kudos to Jacek to chiming in. I've done a couple of deals with him and he has always been fair and honest, even that time I opted to return a piece that wasn't to my liking. Stand up, guy. And in my experience they sell "honest" pieces, i.e. not altered and fixed up for sale.

I'm weary/done doing business with pieces coming out of Asia, especially HK. I did it once and learned my lesson, things just didn't add up to my satisfaction. Way too much laser-welding going on at this point, and way too much fake patina and "original" punched papers aged exactly the same way. It just doesn't add up.

I only bought from Eric Ku once, it wasn't quite up to expectations, but I got my refund. It might have been a one-off fluke.

Andrew Shear has top shelf stuff, but he charges a 10-25% premium for it at this point. Who can blame him since many affluent buyers gladly pay that for the peace of mind. But I've had good deals with him and would gladly deal with him again.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2014, 01:01 AM   #47
Old Expat Beast

Anyone here bought from James Dowling before?
Old 5 April 2014, 01:04 AM   #48
Puffy
"TRF" Member

What PSV said ^
Old 5 April 2014, 01:07 AM   #49
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Anyone here bought from James Dowling before?
think people buy from him because of his name, am yet to see a decent watch on his website
Old 5 April 2014, 01:26 AM   #50
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
think people buy from him because of his name, am yet to see a decent watch on his website
What do you think about this one?
http://www.ukwatches.com/shop/?wpsc-...ct-enamel-dial
Old 5 April 2014, 01:30 AM   #51
mluther
"TRF" Member

Watch: aholic
Quote:
x2
mluther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2014, 01:39 AM   #52
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Falls in the ancient category, too old to be vintage, a british museum specimen

Fwiw, i like dealing with jacek, shear and eric, sold me some yummy goods over the years

Theyre my davidsw for vintage

never dealt with dowling but am sure he's solid

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Old 5 April 2014, 01:42 AM   #53
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Falls in the ancient category, too old to be vintage, a british museum specimen

Fwiw, i like dealing with jacek, shear and eric, sold me some yummy goods over the years

Theyre my davidsw for vintage

never dealt with dowling but am sure he's solid

I actually met him in person tonight here in HK. Saw the piece, liked it and negotited a lower price. Going to sleep on it and see him again tomorrow. I like the idea of owning a 1920s Oyster. Something a bit unusual. Glad to have second opinions though.
Old 5 April 2014, 01:45 AM   #54
Puffy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I actually met him in person tonight here in HK. Saw the piece, liked it and negotited a lower price. Going to sleep on it and see him again tomorrow. I like the idea of owning a 1920s Oyster. Something a bit unusual. Glad to have second opinions though.
Cool
Am sure it's lovely just too old for my liking/interest

Old 5 April 2014, 01:54 AM   #55
MonBK
Banned

Quote:

Quote:
Seems like there is some confusion here unintentionally and everything is OK.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE, CARRY ON!

I'm sure we all like to hear how you sat him straight?
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2014, 01:54 AM   #56
mfer
"TRF" Member

I can tell you I tried to buy two vintage pieces recently just off the forums and didn't get them as I was too slow and out bid on the other. I saw them BOTH less than two weeks later on HQ's site. I'm 100% sure they are exact same watches.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2014, 01:54 AM   #57
CrownMe
"TRF" Member

Watch: My Open 6
Quote:

That's a interesting first post.
CrownMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2014, 01:58 AM   #58
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Cool
Am sure it's lovely just too old for my liking/interest

I hope I will be allowed to post it as Incoming in the Vintage section, rather than asking the mods to set up an Ancient section
Old 5 April 2014, 01:59 AM   #59
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
Finding 30-55 year old desirable watches is a lot of work. Every year it gets harder and the competition pool gets bigger. At the end of the day when a nice piece shows up it usually goes to the person who is known to consistently pay the most for them.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
greekbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2014, 02:00 AM   #60
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by greekbum View Post
Finding 30-55 year old desirable watches is a lot of work. Every year it gets harder and the competition pool gets bigger. At the end of the day when a nice piece shows up at a 1 st stop source it usually goes to the person who is known to consistently pay the most for them.
This pretty well sums it up!

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote