The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 March 2018, 10:02 AM   #31
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
Correct, if they want to control the secondary market and get the newest and coveted watches in the hands of serious collectors and AP aficionados there's no reason a gray should have the watch, a NEW watch, at a markup before the end user. There are better ways to control the supply chain rather than just closing down AD's, limiting supplies, and only selling at MSRP.
With the digitalisation of their records through the warranty process, I guess that they may well uncover some of those flippers to their disadvantage on future pieces.
kingofthehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2018, 10:04 AM   #32
Koi6715
"TRF" Member

So what’s people thoughts on the Ti Schumi at £50k and the Lebron at 60k
Almost double the equivalent 44 mm same material equivalent
Both models not exactly 50-200 run models, must be a dozen Ti schumi lebron each on Chrono24, and didn’t think the lebron was that well Received
Koi6715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2018, 10:36 AM   #33
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi6715 View Post
Both models not exactly 50-200 run models, must be a dozen Ti schumi lebron each on Chrono24, and didn’t think the lebron was that well Received
My thoughts are I’m excited to see where my Summer Edition goes in a few years.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2018, 11:11 AM   #34
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I was offered USD50k for the IP but as it hasn’t arrived yet this is tomorrow’s problem!
Old 2 March 2018, 01:25 PM   #35
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkers View Post
I was offered USD50k for the IP but as it hasn’t arrived yet this is tomorrow’s problem!
That's a very nice problem to have. Congrats then. Not the watch but the profit $$$
Old 2 March 2018, 01:26 PM   #36
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koi6715 View Post
Ti Schumi is a good buy. At least I dont think price can come down. Lebron... no idea. Never like that.
Old 2 March 2018, 02:17 PM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Nice roger

You deserve a small gain if you decide to pass. God knows you've paid your dues.
Old 2 March 2018, 02:34 PM   #38
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Easy decision for me as I can’t afford 30k for one watch, but philosophically speaking I would sooner pay 30 for a 15202 than a 5711.

As a spectator this is really a fun market to watch. Curious to see where it heads.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2018, 02:45 PM   #39
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Easy decision for me as I can’t afford 30k for one watch, but philosophically speaking I would sooner pay 30 for a 15202 than a 5711.

As a spectator this is really a fun market to watch. Curious to see where it heads.
There is one way for it to go imho

I said it before but if these hit anywhere near 40k i'm selling mine as fast as possible. Wildly overpriced luxury goods double in price?

Cover your ass. If that is not a top I don't know what is.
Old 2 March 2018, 03:35 PM   #40
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow - just like someone predicted :) If there’s ever a position for a watch futures trader, let me know!
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 March 2018, 09:46 PM   #41
Rachdanon
"TRF" Member

AP can only go higher when Patek goes higher which they have, so no surprises. As long as the rankings are there, the higher the better in the veblen goods market. We humams are so funny :-)
Rachdanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 12:10 AM   #42
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
There is one way for it to go imho

I said it before but if these hit anywhere near 40k i'm selling mine as fast as possible. Wildly overpriced luxury goods double in price?

Cover your ass. If that is not a top I don't know what is.
Let's make a pact. Even though mine has sentimental value, it's definitely on the way out at 40K too. Too many other good watches to be had in that price range to say no to such an offer!
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 12:29 AM   #43
tonupbklyn
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tng11 View Post
Let's make a pact. Even though mine has sentimental value, it's definitely on the way out at 40K too. Too many other good watches to be had in that price range to say no to such an offer!
tonupbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 12:35 AM   #44
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
No pact needed if I order a new car this thing might be on the block regardless. Not that I don't like it, I sure do, it is just the collection getting fatter than I require.
Old 3 March 2018, 02:25 AM   #45
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No pact needed if I order a new car this thing might be on the block regardless. Not that I don't like it, I sure do, it is just the collection getting fatter than I require.
Nothing wrong with a fat collection
Vipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 March 2018, 03:37 AM   #46
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No harm in that. You wore and enjoyed the piece for a couple of months, and you stand to make some money on it too. Winning!
Old 3 March 2018, 11:42 PM   #47
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Redbulls View Post
Talk about crazy...a trusted seller is asking over $29K for an unworn 15202. Any takers??
Supporting the view of many that this model has been under-appreciated by collectors in the context of current market environment, the referenced piece has been sold in rather quick fashion.
Old 4 March 2018, 12:26 AM   #48
tng11
"TRF" Member

Looks like it sold.

Anyone want to place bets on the price of the next one? $35K?
Old 4 March 2018, 12:28 AM   #49
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Looks like it sold.

Anyone want to place bets on the price of the next one? $35K?
whats USD retail? I forgot
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 12:32 AM   #50
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
whats usd retail? I forgot
$22,700

A meteoric rise in 15202 prices makes less sense to me than the 5711 as there are viable alternatives available (i.e. the 15400 and 15450). It's more a niche piece for WIS and has less mainstream appeal IMO.
Old 4 March 2018, 12:43 AM   #51
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
A meteoric rise in 15202 prices makes less sense to me than the 5711 as there are viable alternatives available (i.e. the 15400 and 15450). It's more a niche piece for WIS and has less mainstream appeal IMO.
Having agonised for hours on end between these variants and being an owner of several, I can happily say that the 15450/15400 are not substitutes for the 15202. Though I agree it is more of a niche piece for WIS, of course.
Old 4 March 2018, 12:46 AM   #52
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
$22,700

I think pre-forums and just looking in ADs this would have been the case but now they are never in ADs and with most buyers looking online and seeing we "experts" equate the 202 with the 5711 and it's the original Genta etc, then buyers become more discerning.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 12:47 AM   #53
conkers
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Nice roger

You deserve a small gain if you decide to pass. God knows you've paid your dues.
I will keep it. I think it will be a great addition to the collection.
Old 4 March 2018, 01:58 AM   #54
scuba77
"TRF" Member

This watch had Rrp of £16k in UK 2 years ago and now although not available from AD is £19k .There has been no price rise in the US and forgetting the so called hype for this watch now the US RRP is very low. Even with price in the high 20s in US it nothing compared to rises 5711/5712 had with the greys it’s still trading close to the list price everywhere else in the world !
scuba77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 02:03 AM   #55
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I will keep it. I think it will be a great addition to the collection.
Even better
Old 4 March 2018, 02:05 AM   #56
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba77 View Post
This watch had Rrp of £16k in UK 2 years ago and now although not available from AD is £19k .There has been no price rise in the US and forgetting the so called hype for this watch now the US RRP is very low. Even with price in the high 20s in US it nothing compared to rises 5711/5712 had with the greys it’s still trading close to the list price everywhere else in the world !
its cheaper in the UK without tax. AP isnt making money on the 20% vat.

Its $21k in the UK vs $22,700 in the US... at "retail" pricing before tax is factored in. That's an MP issue not an AP issue

Id say UK price is low if any. I know they try to get worldwide pricing close, but if one place has 20% VAT and another has 8.25% sales tax, AP would have to make less money in the higher tax country if they want to make retail prices truly the same across the board.
Old 4 March 2018, 02:06 AM   #57
mbalmz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

aren't 15202s also much easier to get from ADs (in the US at least) than 5711s? my thinking was one could go to an AP boutique, put in a deposit and get one eventually (i.e. a wait but not a fake/non-existant amount of time like a 116500ln or a 5711). am i just completely behind on this?
mbalmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 04:22 AM   #58
scuba77
"TRF" Member

Quote:
its cheaper in the UK without tax. AP isnt making money on the 20% vat.

Its $21k in the UK vs $22,700 in the US... at "retail" pricing before tax is factored in. That's an MP issue not an AP issue

Id say UK price is low if any. I know they try to get worldwide pricing close, but if one place has 20% VAT and another has 8.25% sales tax, AP would have to make less money in the higher tax country if they want to make retail prices truly the same across the board.
Good point on the VAT , so only really more in UK when buy from reseller/ grey as there is no VAT in effect and or can’t claim it back .
scuba77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2018, 04:49 AM   #59
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba77 View Post
Good point on the VAT , so only really more in UK when buy from reseller/ grey as there is no VAT in effect and or can’t claim it back .
the VAT thing is a big deal. High VAT locations with similar RRP to low tax locations get raided by tourists. If they would just make VAT not reclaimable on luxury purchases over a certain amount then there might actually be some stock for locals. The US is a big market but there isnt the same incentive to bring home a bunch of watches from vacation as it is for visitors to Europe.

The government loses on all the tax revenue when it gets refunded and the locals who would pay the tax dont get watches because they are competing with the entire world. Its lose lose.
Old 4 March 2018, 05:45 AM   #60
kingofthehill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
the VAT thing is a big deal. High VAT locations with similar RRP to low tax locations get raided by tourists. If they would just make VAT not reclaimable on luxury purchases over a certain amount then there might actually be some stock for locals. The US is a big market but there isnt the same incentive to bring home a bunch of watches from vacation as it is for visitors to Europe.

The government loses on all the tax revenue when it gets refunded and the locals who would pay the tax dont get watches because they are competing with the entire world. Its lose lose.
Except that such policies support tourism and there are benefits derived to the economy from that.