The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 September 2020, 10:01 AM   #91
thenewrick
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP41 Silver
It's tough when there's only 1 watch in the world you want.

There's dozens of watches I'd love to have so I can be patient and wait for reasonable prices and availability.

I'd love to have a Grand Seiko with the new 9RA5 movement but they're dragging their feet putting it in more models. It's only available in a limited edition extreme dive watch currently.

The same with Omega. I'd love to have a new Aqua Terra design or maybe a Globemaster design. I just don't like how chunky the current models are and don't love the 6 o'clock date window.

The list goes on. Whoever comes out with something I really like 1st gets my $10k or so. It might be a new Rolex Submariner or OP41 Silver Dial as well. Time will tell!

My plan is to get 2 daily driver watches then start saving for a JLC Master UltraThin Moonphase or an A Lange & Sohne for a dress watch. I've got a 5-year plan.
thenewrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 10:03 AM   #92
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprta View Post
I would nurture the relationship with the SA. After a few trips you should be able to determine if there is a possibility to get your watch.
Definitely. I think the SA also appreciates you being straight forward in what you want.
drfrankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 10:09 AM   #93
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
No reason for AD to sell it to you, especially now that you told them essentially that's only what you want.

The AD only get so many of these, especially SS Daytona. They can't waste that on a one and done. They need those to supply customers who are established and will buy more and more and grow and grow in purchases with them.

It's really tough to compete with that when you have oneitis for the Daytona and nothing else.

If that's what you want and only what you want, source it from the secondary market and don't waste your #1 resource (Time) on waiting for a lottery chance of getting one from the AD, because it just isn't feasible without showing the AD you are worth the usage of that "scarce" resource.

I was going to write a post and it was going to say exactly this ^^ +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 10:16 AM   #94
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Good luck calvin! Im also one that got a Pepsi and Daytona from the boutique though so far it has taken me 3 years in total. Seadweller 1st year, Pepsi 2nd year, daytona 3rd year. It can be done but it may not be as straightforward but relationships do go a long way.

What is this "recession" people are talking about anyway!?? All I see is a Boom in watches....Brands like AP and Patek have already increased prices and AP twice this year I believe and Patek 10% next month....I see ZERO recesssion....
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 10:23 AM   #95
BumbleB
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing you
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
All well thought out and I agree there is glaring ‘unknowing’ of how much the luxury market will be affected in a economic downturn.

I do think social media can largely affect current situation though, this is why. People completely disinterested in watches, only caring about money, are currently on lists just to immediately flip the day they get it. They don’t care about bridges being burned, anything other than just to make some money. If all the sudden these watches aren’t super ‘cool’.....the demand is going to drop off wildly, not just from people no longer interested, but the people only in it from a monetary perspective as well. Those combined will change the game back towards normalcy rather quickly in my mind.

However, it is definitely a factor to consider on sport watches being ‘do it all’ type watches. I stoll think it’s mainly trendy though, as these were attainable 3-4 years ago. Everyone didn’t just come to a revelation In 2018 that these could be worn in a variety of settings.

I wouldn’t lump Rolex with the rest of the ‘luxury’ market’.

Besides being an icon for achievement/success, Rolex has always been sort of a ‘secure investment’ in affluent circles around the world, particularly in Asia. My grand parents would always tell me not to buy any watch except Rolex as it would keep its value over time.
My wife will always push me to the Rolex store whenever I look at Omega, because Omega is a ‘waste of money’ if you’re going to spend it anyway, better spend it on a Rolex. This mind set will not change anytime soon.
The difference between today and 10 years ago is that the number of affluent people has grown dramatically and the number of people that can afford a Rolex has sky-rocketed.

$7,000 for a watch 10 years ago was a big splash for most people, today it’s a reasonable expense for a huge number of people.

♛ Milgauss 116400GV ♛ Deepsea D-Blue 116660 ♛ Submariner 114060 ♛ Submariner 116613LN ♛ Exp. II black 216570 ♛ Exp. II white 226570 ♛ Sky Dweller white 326933 ♛ Sky Dweller Blue 326934 ♛ GMT II 116710 black ♛ GMT II 126710BLRO ♛ GMT II 126711CHNR ♛ GMT II 126710BLNR ♛ Daytona 116509 ♛ DD40 228238 H HUBLOT BIG BANG e ceramic C CHANEL J12 3125 AP 3120 MVT
BumbleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 01:32 PM   #96
teabags001
Banned

Watch: DD40, hulk, Dayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpt.calvin View Post
Yes, I am hung up on MSRP. Everyone has their own philosophy on worth and value.

Mine is that if Rolex thinks something is worth $13,150, then that's what I think it's worth and that's what I'm (currently) willing to pay. But who knows? Things change. Maybe I'll come around and pay gray market prices in 10 years from now...when 116500s are going for $50k. LOL (I just jynxed myself, I know)

For others, if something is routinely selling for $25k, then maybe it's worth $25k to them. Not me. Not right now.

This is a hobby, not an investment. I understand that. Hobbies cost money. I understand that. But again, everyone has "their price" or "their limit." Ours are clearly different. And that's okay. Your money is yours and mine is mine. The beauty is that we get to choose what to do with our own.

Given your experiences, I'm not sure why we're even having this back and forth discourse. Surely, since you've been able to obtain a Hulk (not the hardest watch to get, but certainly not easy) and have been offered, what you refer to as, the hardest to get SS reference, then why shouldn't I at least try? Why do you keep pushing to go grey when you clearly admit "miracles can happen?"

I said you should buy on the grey if you can afford it. Market value will always be high on a Daytona. If you have $100k in a savings account it isn’t doing anything for you. The little interest you will make will surely be less than a the market price of a Daytona. So you will be wearing it for free if you ever replace it or decide to move it.

Just to be clear I have 2 hulks. One I got lucky to get at retail and one I bought on the grey market. If I decided to only keep one I could keep the one from my AD and sell the one I bought on the grey market for a profit.

I’m a little confused when you say that you can afford grey prices but now that’s not an option. My whole point is that there is no RRP when it comes to Rolex. It’s market price. Market price on a Daytona is very solid. One of the most solid in fact. Your money will be safe either way.

I apologize for the confusion. I was under the impression that you wanted the Daytona. Not that you ONLY want it at RETAIL. I was just giving you a thoughtful heads up on now the current market works.

teabags001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 01:36 PM   #97
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Think of it this way: You walked into a store and asked them if they could write you a $10,000 check. Nothing wrong with that (I think?), but that's what it is. Good luck and hopefully you get a call some day.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 01:44 PM   #98
grimps
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewrick View Post
If the price of Daytona's crashes then I'm sure they will be available again. About 5 years ago Professional Series Rolex were available in stores. It'll happen again but this is literally peak Rolex Instagram Eco-Bubble LuxoSpendo Maniac moment in time. There will likely be an extended recession in the next decade and at the peak of that you'll see a lot of luxury goods on shelves.
The Daytona wasn't available 5 years ago or even 10 years ago, it's been difficult to get for a long time now
grimps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 01:53 PM   #99
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post
I said you should buy on the grey if you can afford it. Market value will always be high on a Daytona. If you have $100k in a savings account it isn’t doing anything for you. The little interest you will make will surely be less than a the market price of a Daytona. So you will be wearing it for free if you ever replace it or decide to move it.

Just to be clear I have 2 hulks. One I got lucky to get at retail and one I bought on the grey market. If I decided to only keep one I could keep the one from my AD and sell the one I bought on the grey market for a profit.

I’m a little confused when you say that you can afford grey prices but now that’s not an option. My whole point is that there is no RRP when it comes to Rolex. It’s market price. Market price on a Daytona is very solid. One of the most solid in fact. Your money will be safe either way.

I apologize for the confusion. I was under the impression that you wanted the Daytona. Not that you ONLY want it at RETAIL. I was just giving you a thoughtful heads up on now the current market works.

Again, I can afford grey market. But that's not an option out of my own principle of not currently think it's worth the grey market price.

I can afford a lot of things. Doesn't mean I should buy them.

You say there is no RRP when it comes to Rolex, yet you just admitted to getting lucky with a Hulk at RRP. I bought my first Rolex, a BLNR, at MSRP.

I'm not oblivious to the fact that the chances of me getting a Daytona at MSRP are nearly non-existent. I'm also not oblivious to the fact that Daytonas are widely available in the gray market if I want one.

Seems like we're just going in circles, but glad the confusion is cleared up (hopefully).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Think of it this way: You walked into a store and asked them if they could write you a $10,000 check. Nothing wrong with that (I think?), but that's what it is. Good luck and hopefully you get a call some day.
It's worked for (few) other people.
dpt.calvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 01:54 PM   #100
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
The Daytona wasn't available 5 years ago or even 10 years ago, it's been difficult to get for a long time now
The steel bezel could be had for a period, Daytona is funky. But yeah for the most part they’re pretty hard to find.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 02:16 PM   #101
Son Goku
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teabags001 View Post

Although by referring to a savings account you didn't suggest this per se, the idea that purchasing a modern Daytona at market price is a better "investment" than actually investing the cash is just laughable. Although limited, SS Daytonas are nowhere near as limited as Daytonas of the past and imo you're seeing the all-time highs right now in the market.

OP is right in that this is a hobby and you're absolutely wrong saying there's no such thing as RRP. There is RRP and most people can obtain most watches at RRP if they're simply patient enough. There are many examples just on this forum alone of people obtaining SS or even TT sports models without any prior purchase history. It comes down to luck, patience, and persistence.

As OP mentioned if you want to spend your hard earned money on market price then that's your prerogative, but not everyone wants to pay a premium especially when the watch market in general is at an all-time high.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 02:20 PM   #102
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Goku View Post
Although by referring to a savings account you didn't suggest this per se, the idea that purchasing a modern Daytona at market price is a better "investment" than actually investing the cash is just laughable. Although limited, SS Daytonas are nowhere near as limited as Daytonas of the past and imo you're seeing the all-time highs right now in the market.
This x1000

It's really starting to approach silly territory with how people are referring to watches as investments like they're gold bars. I truly don't see this ending well for a lot of people, especially when I know some of the people making these statements (nobody in this thread) are spending most/all of their money on these tangible goods.
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 04:37 PM   #103
teabags001
Banned

I was purely making an example of you have have your wealth in my differ ways. Not just cash.

Last year you could have bought a black Daytona for $18k. Now it’s $22-24k. I’m not suggesting or saying that he should pull out all his money and invest it in rolexes. I’m simply saying if you have extra money it’s the same exact thing if you put it in a tangible object or have it in cash in hand if said object will maintain its current value. That’s a gamble that one would take but history has shown that watches like the Daytona don’t sink overnight.

When I say there is no such thing as RRP it’s because the market value of the watch he is wanting has a market value of $10k more. If a AD wants to give out free money it’s usually to the VIPs who spend a lot. But there are some instances where you can get lucky. I was lucky to get a Hulk at MSRP. I’m also under no illusion that the hulk is as rare as the Daytona or as sought after. I got lucky. I wouldn’t hold my breath for it to happen again.

With the skyD it was at my other AD and let’s just say they would consider me a valued Customer.

Anyways good luck to the AD. Hope it works out for him. Had a slight misunderstanding as I thought buying on the grey market was an option. He has said it wasn’t so this argument is moot.

Old 21 September 2020, 06:09 PM   #104
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Yes, I am hung up on MSRP. Everyone has their own philosophy on worth and value.

Mine is that if Rolex thinks something is worth $13,150, then that's what I think it's worth and that's what I'm (currently) willing to pay.
Then by that logic, if you were to ever sell your 116500, you’d only sell if for MSRP because that’s what Rolex says it’s worth right? I don’t think your philosophy extends to selling

Besides all the personal, hype, cool, style, hard-to-get reasons for wanting to to own a Daytona - a big factor is wanting to buy a SS Daytona at MSRP is because it’s worth 2x when you walk out the door
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 06:11 PM   #105
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimps View Post
It wasn’t available more than 20years ago with zenith Daytonas
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 08:30 PM   #106
teabags001
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
Then by that logic, if you were to ever sell your 116500, you’d only sell if for MSRP because that’s what Rolex says it’s worth right? I don’t think your philosophy extends to selling

Besides all the personal, hype, cool, style, hard-to-get reasons for wanting to to own a Daytona - a big factor is wanting to buy a SS Daytona at MSRP is because it’s worth 2x when you walk out the door

That was my point. Well said.

Old 21 September 2020, 09:19 PM   #107
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Another interesting post vailed as a watch post but really about the money. Lightening does strike and we all read about fellow members walking in and getting a hot watch from an AD with no purchase history. That is very much the exception and in larger markets it is likely to be even more rare. Can it happen, sure, and I wish the best for the OP in his quest. More than likely though it will not and then you move on and you are in the same place you were before, without the Daytona. It is not the grey market, AD's or any other factor other than money and the ability to profit that drives a lot of these posts, not the watches. The Daytona is probably the most solid watch in the Rolex line-up when it comes to maintaining value and even at current market value is a fair buy. Step up, buy the watch, wear it and move on to something else that you want. Or at least, admit to your self it is not about the Daytona but the money. That is the way it reads to me.
1William is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:33 PM   #108
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post

For one, I've never sold a watch since I've started collecting. But if I ever did, then it's not about what I value it at. It's what the buyer values it at. Something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
Another interesting post vailed as a watch post but really about the money. Lightening does strike and we all read about fellow members walking in and getting a hot watch from an AD with no purchase history. That is very much the exception and in larger markets it is likely to be even more rare. Can it happen, sure, and I wish the best for the OP in his quest. More than likely though it will not and then you move on and you are in the same place you were before, without the Daytona. It is not the grey market, AD's or any other factor other than money and the ability to profit that drives a lot of these posts, not the watches. The Daytona is probably the most solid watch in the Rolex line-up when it comes to maintaining value and even at current market value is a fair buy. Step up, buy the watch, wear it and move on to something else that you want. Or at least, admit to your self it is not about the Daytona but the money. That is the way it reads to me.
Of course it's about the money. No one wants to pay more than they have to. And for me - I don't have to have the Daytona. Therefore, I don't have to spend grey value.

If it doesn't happen and I am without a Daytona - that's fine. I'll live. Hey, I'm living right now without it. Imagine that!

I have a BLNR that I bought at MSRP from an AD. If I wanted to profit, I could just sell that and call it a day (not that the profit would be the same, but profit nonetheless). So I'm not sure if people are accusing me of wanting the Daytona at MSRP so I can make a quick buck? Well...it wouldn't be very quick considering how long it will take if it happens at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) I want a Daytona
2) I want a Daytona at MSRP
3) I want a Daytona at MSRP because that's what I currently value it at
4) I want a Daytona at MSRP because part of the fun is in the chase
5) I do not plan to sell the Daytona
6) So then why not just pay grey and enjoy? See 2-4
7) So then why not just pay grey, enjoy, and sell the grey when/if I get one at MSRP from an AD? See 4
8) I am aware that I may never get a Daytona at MSRP and if I wait a year, 2 years, 3 years, then grey prices will likely continue to rise
9) I can live without the Daytona. People seem to think I can't live without it and therefore should buck up, pay grey, and enjoy now. Fortunately, I can enjoy my BLNR and 16710 independently of the Daytona.
Old 21 September 2020, 11:57 PM   #109
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

^ fwiw, it sounds like you don't really want the watch that badly because:

a) you're not willing to pay GD pricing

b) you're not willing to purchase other watches or goods to become a known entity at an AD

there's nothing wrong with any of this but getting a Daytona without "paying for it" seems like a pipe dream - what you are really hoping for is a lottery type scenario where you walk into some place and they either happen to have it or can get it for you relatively quickly - which, let's face it, is highly improbable
Old 22 September 2020, 12:51 AM   #110
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfrankenstein View Post
^ fwiw, it sounds like you don't really want the watch that badly because:

a) you're not willing to pay GD pricing

b) you're not willing to purchase other watches or goods to become a known entity at an AD

there's nothing wrong with any of this but getting a Daytona without "paying for it" seems like a pipe dream - what you are really hoping for is a lottery type scenario where you walk into some place and they either happen to have it or can get it for you relatively quickly - which, let's face it, is highly improbable
I think that's a fair assessment. I want it, just not badly enough to pay grey or purchase unwanted pieces from the AD.

And I think I've made it pretty clear from the first post that I'm well aware that my chances are slim, but I'll take those chances.
Old 22 September 2020, 01:00 AM   #111
drfrankenstein
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I think that's a fair assessment. I want it, just not badly enough to pay grey or purchase unwanted pieces from the AD.

And I think I've made it pretty clear from the first post that I'm well aware that my chances are slim, but I'll take those chances.
I would ask the sales associate that if she gets one in she should call you so you can see the piece in person and maybe even try it on.

Aside from letter her know you are serious, given the current climate, it is easy to fall in love with a watch by looking at pictures of it online and then when you try it on, you are not nearly as enamored with it. This happened to me with XL Rose Gold Cartier Santos - was on my short list of pieces to buy, then I tried it on and was very taken aback by how it looked on me. This watch which is easy to purchase - most of these SS Rolex Sport watches aren't. Nothing worse than wasting mental energy chasing a watch in your head that you don't like when you get it in your possession.
Old 22 September 2020, 01:18 AM   #112
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Entertaining thread.

To get a super desirable model, you either have to pay market price, be a high-value AD customer, or wait (possibly forever) and hope to get lucky.

Some people do get lucky. So, some people pay $13K and others pay $25K+. Nothing wrong with the opinion that having a steel Daytona at $13K or $15K or $17K is worth it but not at $23K or $25K or $27K. It’s a simple price:perceived value ratio.
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 01:52 AM   #113
tuffode
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Racing
I don't know why so many people are attacking him for not wanting to pay over MSRP lol.
tuffode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 01:53 AM   #114
Neurogeek
"TRF" Member

Good luck OP. :)))
Old 22 September 2020, 02:52 AM   #115
studioJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
To purchase a really hard-to-get piece from an AD, you have to be qualified and vetted. Your “worthiness” needs to be evaluated.

Is it possible to walk in and get one immediately or within a week? Sure... but you need to be a celebrity, billionaire, or business tycoon.

Or you could have a great story. A 28 year old kid asking for a Pepsi doesn’t pass the sniff test.

A 62 year old man asking about buying pieces to celebrate a 40th wedding anniversary... better chances. A 45 year old woman asking about buying a nice watch for her husband’s 50th birthday, good chances.

It’s all about choosing the “right customers.”
I am said 28 year old "kid" - unsure why I wouldn't pass your "sniff" test? AD offered me a BLNR which I bought 2 months ago with zero purchase history. They then just last week offered me a BLRO which I turned down because I didn't want it and would rather it went to somebody who loves the reference. Have been assured I'll have a 116509 within 12 months. Clearly liked what they "sniffed". Don't be so ageist. Numbers have no correlation to wealth, success or morality.
studioJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 04:19 AM   #116
teabags001
Banned

Walked Into My Local Boutique Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffode View Post
I don't know why so many people are attacking him for not wanting to pay over MSRP lol.

The confusion is because of what he wrote on his post. He said he was on the fence about buying on the grey market. He said he can afford too but would rather not if he didn’t have too. That’s basically every person. Then he pivots and said he doesn’t want to pay grey prices and can live without it. Fair enough, but his post contradicts what he is currently saying. Everyone has a right to change their minds. But you can’t fault the people like myself who try to offer advice on what he originally posted.

Honestly this whole thread has gone off the rails and I don’t even know why I am responding. He originally went in and asked for a DJ41. Said he wanted a rhodium fluted DJ on jubilee. When the SA said she would contact him when it came in he walked out and said it was all a ruse. That he really wanted a black Daytona. These kind of games are what tire kickers and want to be flippers play. Not saying the OP is one but if I tell my AD I want a watch I want it.

Anyways like I said before I’m done with this thread. I’ll look at it in 5-10 years to see if the OP got his Daytona at retail with no purchase history. I do wish him the best of luck and genuinely hope he gets it.

Old 22 September 2020, 05:30 AM   #117
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

I agree. This thread took a turn and I’m not sure when/where/why.

I explained what I did and why I did it. I think it’s becoming redundant so I won’t explain, again.

Not sure I’ve ever gotten fatigued from my own thread before but now I have. This has been exhausting.

Thank you to everyone has contributed in one way or another. Whether it was whiny me luck or advising me to pay gray or play the game with the AD and buy other pieces first. What this thread has shown me is there is no one right way to do things. Everyone has their own path. I’ve chosen mine. We will see where it leads me. Maybe a dead end. Who knows?
Old 15 October 2020, 08:59 AM   #118
dpt.calvin
"TRF" Member

It’s no Daytona, but I received this in the mail today. I followed up with the SA last week about the 116500. As expected, she said all the inventory is committed already.

That said, it’s nice to know the SA is thinking of me still.

Wearing my BLNR today and that temporarily curbs the interest in the Daytona.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 80BFD99B-37E6-4C80-A859-4ED295397CDA.jpeg (154.9 KB, 126 views)