The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 September 2020, 02:05 AM   #1
fumiyasu
"TRF" Member

Opinions on which 14270/114270 Explorer to get.

Hi TRF,

Been a long time lurker since I looked at getting a sub a few years back. I ended up buying a Blancpain FF Bathyscaphe in the end but still have the itch for a Rolex for everyday general wear ever since. So when the new OPs were announced I made a trip to the AD and tried a green OP36 on, instantly loved it and ordered one. Still this just renewed my interest and I felt that I wanted an Explorer as well but the question is which?

Size wise it has to be 36 as that seems to be the sweet spot for me on bezelless watches (would have posted pics of the OP but couldnt due to being under 10 posts.) So this rules out the 214270 and price also rules out the 1016 and older. This leaves the 14270 and 114270. That probably works better as an everyday watch anyway given the more modern movement.

I understand there are basically these differences (excluding blackout, inverted 9s etc which is outside my budget):
14270 c. tritium (w lug holes)
14270 luminova (w and w/o lug holes, pre 94/95?)
14270 super luminova
114270 "normal"
114270 c. 2007+ Rehaut engraving

Have I missed factors/vatiants?

General looks seems to be they start from about 5k usd and then about 1k premium with rehaut markings.

For me cal 3000 and 3130 doesn't seem to be a big update and so I am generally indifferent to either. I also don't care for the rehaut so wouldn't really mind.

So, I am coming to the conclusion that I want a 14270 with luminova and drilled lugs as I do want lume for an everyday watch and drilled lugs would be more truthful to the original, plus easier to swap on a nato too.

But I did want to just ask for some opinions and if I have missed anything in my thinking?

Thanks

Gary

Sent from my SM-A202F using Tapatalk
fumiyasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 02:15 AM   #2
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
The only opinion that matters is yours and yours only, just buy the one you want to own and wear its that simple.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 10:29 PM   #3
fumiyasu
"TRF" Member

Well I agree but was just getting at whether I missed any variants or factors to consider although I did think my research was fairly exhaustive.

Old 21 September 2020, 11:03 PM   #4
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Would pick a 14270 with lug holes over the 114270

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:10 PM   #5
chinaski
"TRF" Member

Watch: SpeedyProExplorer1
If it's going to be an everyday watch, I would go for something with Luminova for the functional lume aspect.

FWIW, I have a 14270, No Lug Holes, Luminova. Great Watch.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:33 PM   #6
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
I'd go for the best condition 3130 mvmt without rehaut engraving.
Old 21 September 2020, 11:38 PM   #7
Greg.A
"TRF" Member

If you haven’t got the chance to try the 39mm explorer, give it a try. The 36mm explorer price is pretty near the 39mm.
Greg.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:46 PM   #8
fumiyasu
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the replies, yeah I think lug hole 14270 with lume seems to be the
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46 View Post
I'd go for the best condition 3130 mvmt without rehaut engraving.
Any particular reason or just more modern? I have certainly seen far more of these on the market and was thinking I am more likely going to find better condition watches in this group.

Old 21 September 2020, 11:48 PM   #9
fumiyasu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.A View Post
If you haven’t got the chance to try the 39mm explorer, give it a try. The 36mm explorer price is pretty near the 39mm.
I had a quick look at those many moons ago when a friend of mine had one and I think it was on the large side for me but within the limit my sizing but really I think I am more comfortable with 36mm as I have a 6.5inch wrist.

Old 22 September 2020, 12:43 AM   #10
Greg.A
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumiyasu View Post
I had a quick look at those many moons ago when a friend of mine had one and I think it was on the large side for me but within the limit my sizing but really I think I am more comfortable with 36mm as I have a 6.5inch wrist.

I have a 6 inch wrist and i think it looks great..haha. Each to its own.
The 39mm version bracelet is really solid
Greg.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 12:57 AM   #11
rossi46
"TRF" Member

Watch: shopping
Quote:
Any particular reason or just more modern?
Exactly. Rolex is a company where you can guarantee that each new iteration of movements will be better than the one before. I question some of their recent design decisions, but I'll never question their constant improvements.

As to the rehaut: always thought the ROLEXROLEXROLEX rehauts are a little cheesy. Didn't prevent me from buying a new OP with it, though
Old 22 September 2020, 04:27 AM   #12
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Condition aside i would go for the one with rehaut, old school case with modern iterations
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 04:49 AM   #13
Ancestral Star
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Quote:
So, I am coming to the conclusion that I want a 14270 with luminova and drilled lugs as I do want lume for an everyday watch and drilled lugs would be more truthful to the original, plus easier to swap on a nato too.
I don't believe this configuration exists. Lug holes on the 14270 were long phased out before the introduction of Luminova. Unless of course you find an example with a later service dial, which however is less desirable in my book. I wouldn't sweat the luminescence and find the best condition drilled-lug and tritium watch you can afford.
Ancestral Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 05:15 AM   #14
fumiyasu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg.A View Post
I have a 6 inch wrist and i think it looks great..haha. Each to its own.

The 39mm version bracelet is really solid
It is personal taste I suppose. In fact I used to wear quite a few 42mm watches but for some reason I seem to have moved to smaller watches as time goes. Although case and lug designs also certainly affects the look. I might try and see if I can get my hands on one just to try again.

Rossi: The solid end links they introduced with the 114270 was something I missed which I think is a real plus for me.

I think I might be now down to 14270 with luminova and lug holes and the 114270 pre rehaut now. Will probably just have to monitor the market for a bit now and see if something in good condition and the right price comes up!

Old 22 September 2020, 05:20 AM   #15
fumiyasu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestral Star View Post
I don't believe this configuration exists. Lug holes on the 14270 were long phased out before the introduction of Luminova. Unless of course you find an example with a later service dial, which however is less desirable in my book. I wouldn't sweat the luminescence and find the best condition drilled-lug and tritium watch you can afford.
Interesting, I got my info from the black bird watch manual. According to those guys there was an overlap period with "standard" luminova swiss only dials (this is before the "swiss made" super luminova). I did find quite a few examples 1993 1994 sort of time frame on chrono24 that has the swiss only dial with lug holes which seems to be consistent with that theory.

Old 22 September 2020, 05:58 AM   #16
VK1984
"TRF" Member

I think you’ve covered all of the variants. Most of the fun is in the research you’ve even got the blackout variants etc.

Personally I went for the 114270 due to the solid end links. Although I like the look of patina’d tritium on some watches - the Explorer wasn’t one of them so I was happier going for a newer model.

Once id decided on the 114270 it was a case of engraved Rehaut vs not. I thought a) the non-engraved looked cleaner and b) the premium on them just because they are more rare was a little too high for my liking.

Good luck searching - they’re becoming harder to find in the UK. I ended up purchasing from Chrono24. Love the watch.
VK1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 06:07 AM   #17
fumiyasu
"TRF" Member

Yes, they are definitely rarer in the UK versus asia. Incidentally I have family coming over from Hong Kong in Jan, so my plan is to look also at HK and Japan for the next few months and have it brought over with them.

Talking about research, the explorer was apparently popularised by a Japanese singer/TV star back then which caused quite a lot of these to go to Japan and the far east. I actually liked some of the work from this guy but never knew this connection until recently which I thought was interesting.

Old 22 September 2020, 06:09 AM   #18
Ancestral Star
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1603
Quote:
Interesting, I got my info from the black bird watch manual. According to those guys there was an overlap period with "standard" luminova swiss only dials (this is before the "swiss made" super luminova). I did find quite a few examples 1993 1994 sort of time frame on chrono24 that has the swiss only dial with lug holes which seems to be consistent with that theory.

I would assume the examples you've found on Chrono24 have service dials installed. The lug hole cases for the 14270 were discontinued around 1994; the "Swiss"-only dials existed around 1998/1999 before the "Swiss Made" dials were introduced around 2000 with the last batch of 14270s.
Ancestral Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 06:20 AM   #19
fumiyasu
"TRF" Member

I see, I probably need to do a little bit more research on this but this would definitely explain why I was seeing 96 97 watches with T dials. So that is probably right and that website got this wrong.

This could be a decider for me though. If lug holes are only on the T dial as originals then I would probably pick the solid links and super luminova on the 114270.

Old 25 September 2020, 10:09 PM   #20
curse_of_cain
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
Quote:

14270 luminova (w and w/o lug holes, pre 94/95?)
I'm fairly certain these don't exist? The luminova "Swiss Only" Dials were a short run in 98/99 before switching over to Superluminova "Swiss Made" in 99/2000 right before the 114270 was introduced. Am I missing something?
curse_of_cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2020, 10:43 PM   #21
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
those dont exist, unless service dials come into play. Lug holes as a feature on the 14270 went pretty early. There is a stretch where its tritium dial no holes case, which went into the U serial region, then the lume change over started. There is some overlap on T<25 dials but with luminova that will not patina.
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote