The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 9 June 2007, 01:53 PM   #61
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
you shd just speak for yourself and refrain from using words like "alot of us".......there is no way u can claim to speak for anyone else, if u wish to be taken seriously .....

rolex parts are made by machines but the final assembly is done by man.....pls stop spreading this half-truth

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2007, 02:04 PM   #62
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
Ohlins,

I can refer to "alot of us" since there have been a lot expressing the same on this forum, other forums, and in PMs to myself.

You get very defensive over your Rolex Sub, as if it is a Religion!

And yes, Rolex is mass produced and much mroe work by automated machines that by smaller companies like Ulysse Nardin and Glashutte Original, for example. Of course, Rolex still has to have some human element involved, no one is disputing that. But, Rolex produces close to around 800,000 watches a year. It is not just parts that are made by marchines, but other areas as well, such as finishing, polishing, and some assembly. Heck, the Rolex web site even shows videos of these procedures. Not saying it is good or bad, but just that Rolex is a mass produced watch.
leopardprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2007, 02:21 PM   #63
ohlins
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
not defensive ......only if there is a need to clear the air.......

consumers can judge for themselves whether the rolex sub is worth the dollars over a PO or SMP......and from the way the sub is flying off the shelves compared to the PO/SMP, i think they have made their choices known.....

i know where u r coming from and if u r expressing your opinion, that's fine....i respect your right.....

the hype is true. a crown for every achievement.
visit my audio and watch blog & how to use the rolex comfort link?
ohlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2007, 09:04 PM   #64
leopardprey
Banned

well, all that being said about the PO, I would like to get a hold of a vintage 5512 or 5513!

A lot of it comes down to personal taste. The PO and Sub are both great watches that do the job, I just think the Sub is overpriced for what you get. But, that is the way it is with many Brand name products. Why do you think people will still buy a Coke instead of a generic supermarket coke (when that cole is the same and produced by Coca-cola for the supermarket). People like name brand status, and Rolex has done a tremendous job promoting their product and advertising in such a way that people are willing to spedn a couple extra thousand for that reputation and brand name. I have to admit, the name Rolex is partly what drives me to have a Rolex. But, at times I wish the Rolex Sub had many of the features the PO has, that makes the PO in many ways more user friendly and tool oreinted.

Now, Ohlins, that TT New Style GMT II you have is a solid peice of work! Bit pricey, but very nice! And the Explorer 1 you have is "the classic tool watch" (My father wears an Exp I as well).
Old 10 June 2007, 12:55 AM   #65
idoitsavant

Watch: WGDJ
I am seriously comtemplating an Exp 1 for my Sports watch....

I have tried on the SMP as per your suggestion Chad, but evidently, it doesn't look good for the Mid Size and for the Full size version, it looked hugh on my wrist - which is just the case for my GMT.

Too bad the Exp 1 has got no bezel. I use the bezel to time my runs. Back to using the Casio G Shock!!
idoitsavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2007, 03:05 AM   #66
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Now guys hope there is not any hostility getting into this thread,after all they are just watches.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2007, 04:29 AM   #67
Blue Bull
Banned

.... and to conclude this lengthy and elaborate discussion,you still have the choice between the Rolex and the Omega !!!

Blue Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2007, 01:06 PM   #68
leopardprey
Banned

The Explorer 1 is a good watch, and you can find a used one at a very reasonable price. Two other options for you, a little more flashy might be mid size Yacht Master or a Turn-o-graph. But, they are also quite a bit more expensive.

I do miss having an Explorer 1 (gave mine to my Father). And if you are looking for a less expensive alternate, since you already have a Datejust, check out the Omega Seamaster (nothe dive watch but the regular SS utility watch -comes in 36mm and 38mm versions) or Railmasters. Both have the Co-Axial movements and see through backs and water resistance to 150meters.

Hear you on the bezel, I use my bezels everyday for timing runs and swims.
Old 10 June 2007, 01:18 PM   #69
roadcarver
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
It's all fun and games until somebody looses a watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Now guys hope there is not any hostility getting into this thread,after all they are just watches.
Old 10 June 2007, 05:55 PM   #70
amanda
Banned

Is it just me or has the same thing been said about 5-6 times in this thread... reading through 4 pages is like Groundhog Day!

Last edited by amanda; 11 June 2007 at 10:00 AM..
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 June 2007, 10:55 PM   #71
dman
Lifetime TRF Patron

Watch: the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda View Post
Is it just me or has the same thing been said about 5-6 times in this thread... eading through 4 pages is like Groundhog Day!
LOL, I was thinking the same thing.

Like comparing something good vs. something else that is good. What ever your taste, good on ya.

I really hope that midget cop doesn't find me in Kokomo.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote