The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 16 December 2021, 06:01 AM   #1
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT Skydwelli
What it means to wear a Rolex in China

Engaged in a great conversation with a few of my chinese canadian friends this week about Rolex and it’s significance in the chinese business culture. To my understanding it packs a lot of punch in social circles to wear PM Rolex.

Wanted to know if there is anyone in the forums who are of chinese decent, have friends in these circles or visit frequently can share an opinion? I’ve visited Shanghai in 2019, sniped quite a bit of two tone and yellow gold classic models which was sweet!
nosignalbmwdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 06:32 AM   #2
Mr. K
"TRF" Member

I think it would pack a lot of punch in many circles, not just Chinese.
Mr. K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 06:49 AM   #3
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Face is a real thing.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 07:10 AM   #4
SubMillennial
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub 41 Date
a lot of fakes out there
SubMillennial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 07:14 AM   #5
gerry100
"TRF" Member

Is it difficult if not impossible to represent your success with homes or cars in China or HK?

If so clothing and jewelry moves to the forefront
gerry100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 07:21 AM   #6
nyc10ken
Banned

Luxury goods are always appreciated there but my opinion is that mainland Chinese are still new to Rolex and so its too soon to call it part of the culture (HK different story). Not too long ago Omega was the popular brand amongst middle class.
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 07:55 AM   #7
Gobee
"TRF" Member

Asians value gold. They don't care about the story behind a watch. If they are going to waste money on a watch They rather have it in gold because it's also safe value. If rolex marketing loses it's reputation you can still sell the gold.
Gobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 09:40 AM   #8
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubMillennial View Post
a lot of fakes out there
My Chinese family is much too proud and wouldn’t be caught dead wearing anything fake. The rubbish is for westerners.
Old 16 December 2021, 10:08 AM   #9
nollie85
Banned

Asian culture LOVE LOVE gold mostly Yellow Gold. Its been like that for centuries and yeah I'm Asian background.

There are certain asian cultures like Korean that I personally know watches mark a special occasion like a wedding. One of my very best friends is Korean and on his wedding day his father in law gifted him a Rolex. It was a nice touch.

In my culture we dont really gift watches as wedding gifts or anything but used as a reward for personal excellence or achievement. I would say most would choose Yellow Gold PM than any other color gold in Asian countries.
nollie85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 10:13 AM   #10
2loaded
"TRF" Member

Watch: es watches
Korea as well. Rolex sure, but a gold Rolex absolutely.
2loaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 10:14 AM   #11
Spurman
"TRF" Member

Rolex used to be the de facto.

Now it seems a patek.
Spurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 10:18 AM   #12
SaintMickey
Banned

I worked for a Chinese manufacturer and in all my time around friends and colleagues in US and in China. Never seen a fake on anyone.

The "bad guys" make them and then sell them to everyone else.
SaintMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 10:22 AM   #13
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Is my newly acquired skydweller hitting close to that PM lvl? LOL We have a big asian community where I live. it’s great

Quote:
Originally Posted by nollie85 View Post
Asian culture LOVE LOVE gold mostly Yellow Gold. Its been like that for centuries and yeah I'm Asian background.

There are certain asian cultures like Korean that I personally know watches mark a special occasion like a wedding. One of my very best friends is Korean and on his wedding day his father in law gifted him a Rolex. It was a nice touch.

In my culture we dont really gift watches as wedding gifts or anything but used as a reward for personal excellence or achievement. I would say most would choose Yellow Gold PM than any other color gold in Asian countries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 71A2888D-5D57-4DAE-A1C0-52BA1F284DAF.jpeg (257.0 KB, 1884 views)
Old 16 December 2021, 10:33 AM   #14
Gobee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosignalbmwdriver View Post
Is my newly acquired skydweller hitting close to that PM lvl? LOL We have a big asian community where I live. it’s great
A little sporty but you are getting close. Lol. Somehow I always picture asian wirh gold day dates. They like prestige. Do you come from Scarborough? Good asian community in the gta
Gobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 10:41 AM   #15
walkman2727
Banned

Watch: 16710 pepsi
I am Chinese, have been living in LA for a little over 20 years. You mentioned you have been to Shanghai in 2019, good for you. I do not have to tell you much about the country now. For those who don't know and keep saying "there are too much fake", will remain don't know for good.
in my opinion, Rolex in China in popular like in America, you won't find people wearing them in subway, but you can not find anything in ADs... Grey dealers are making good money. Really not much differences.
IF you plan on anther trip to China for some watch shopping, I suggest to go visit HongKong, people there love Rolex.
walkman2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 11:35 AM   #16
7enderbender
"TRF" Member

And this is why we can’t have nice things.
7enderbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 12:57 PM   #17
nosignalbmwdriver
"TRF" Member

Korea is amazing from what I hear. Definitely on the near future list.

PM seems to be popular in Asia, especially when I was in Singapore. Tons of TT subs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2loaded View Post
Korea as well. Rolex sure, but a gold Rolex absolutely.
Old 16 December 2021, 01:18 PM   #18
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I'm Asian but I prefer SS.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 01:22 PM   #19
nyc10ken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7enderbender View Post
And this is why we can’t have nice things.
I understand what youre meaning, but without going political, I think if looking to place blame better to put it on the manufacturer for not meeting worldwide demand.
nyc10ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 01:45 PM   #20
Mick006
"TRF" Member

I had a lovely trip to various cities in China about 3 years ago. My driver from the airport wore a 5 digit sub on a nato.

Lovely country with very interesting culture and great history. Very much enjoyed the trip. But did not see many Rolex in the wild.
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 02:58 PM   #21
amh
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Not many Rolex in China? Went to Shanghai, couldn't throw a dead cat without hitting a Rolex. Tons of them. (downtown)
amh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 04:40 PM   #22
Ensign
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintMickey View Post
Never seen a fake on anyone.
For what isn’t worth, I happen to be in Walmart in Southern California and I saw a Chinese employee in the clothing section wearing a “5711.”

I had to fight hard not to go up to him and ask him about his watch.

So many questions!
Ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 05:50 PM   #23
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finslayer83 View Post
Face is a real thing.
Face plays a large part, but you have to dig a little deeper for the larger picture.

Rolex watches have been sold in Hong Kong since before the Second World War, and there were ADs here in the mid 1930s (quite a bit earlier than in the USA). After the Communist Revolution in the late 1940s, millions of people came here, especially from Shanghai, to seek refuge (up to the 1980s and even a few in the early 1990s). The first wave of refugees were relatively wealthy but often had to leave much of their cash and belongings behind.

An easy way to show their (former) status was to display a gold or partly gold watch. Many of those first arrivals, just like Hong Kong’s locals, went for the Datejust, as it was relatively new and had a novel date function which was quite the thing back then. It’s still perhaps the most popular model today, judging from the number seen around town.

From the late 1950s, refugees were poorer, more desperate folk, fleeing the Great Leap Forward (1958-61) or the Cultural Revolution (1966 to 76 approx). Many were single men, and for them the first item on the shopping list was a transistor radio, but the grail was a Rolex watch, or at least a Tudor, a brand for which many settled (as in those days they looked exactly like Rolex, thereby giving some ‘face’ at least from a distance), and which is still very popular today.

This as I see it (and I am happy to be corrected by our Hong Kong Chinese members) is more or less how Rolex came to be an integral part of Hong Kong life. Go into the Rolex Service Centre any day of the week and you will see the place packed with people of all shapes, sizes, ages, and wealth brackets. Office girls, rich housewives, old men with their retirement Datejusts, young entrepreneurs with their vintage PN Daytonas and red subs, etc, etc.

This is how Hong Kong can sustain 60+ ADs.

Hans Wilsdorf’s death in 1960 was front-page news in the local papers here. I doubt that was the case in many other cities around the world.

(And yes, Hong Kong folk wouldn't be caught dead wearing a fake. Those are for tourists only).
Old 16 December 2021, 06:20 PM   #24
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Face plays a large part, but you have to dig a little deeper for the larger picture.

Rolex watches have been sold in Hong Kong since before the Second World War, and there were ADs here in the mid 1930s (quite a bit earlier than in the USA). After the Communist Revolution in the late 1940s, millions of people came here, especially from Shanghai, to seek refuge (up to the 1980s and even a few in the early 1990s). The first wave of refugees were relatively wealthy but often had to leave much of their cash and belongings behind.

An easy way to show their (former) status was to display a gold or partly gold watch. Many of those first arrivals, just like Hong Kong’s locals, went for the Datejust, as it was relatively new and had a novel date function which was quite the thing back then. It’s still perhaps the most popular model today, judging from the number seen around town.

From the late 1950s, refugees were poorer, more desperate folk, fleeing the Great Leap Forward (1958-61) or the Cultural Revolution (1966 to 76 approx). Many were single men, and for them the first item on the shopping list was a transistor radio, but the grail was a Rolex watch, or at least a Tudor, a brand for which many settled (as in those days they looked exactly like Rolex, thereby giving some ‘face’ at least from a distance), and which is still very popular today.

This as I see it (and I am happy to be corrected by our Hong Kong Chinese members) is more or less how Rolex came to be an integral part of Hong Kong life. Go into the Rolex Service Centre any day of the week and you will see the place packed with people of all shapes, sizes, ages, and wealth brackets. Office girls, rich housewives, old men with their retirement Datejusts, young entrepreneurs with their vintage PN Daytonas and red subs, etc, etc.

Hans Wilsdorf’s death in 1960 was front-page news in the local papers here. I doubt that was the case in many other cities around the world.

(And yes, Hong Kong folk wouldn't be caught dead wearing a fake. Those are for tourists only).
Wow, what a sincerely amazing post.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 06:38 PM   #25
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Asian here. YG is too flashy for me. I do love platinum though. As mentioned previously it was a reward to myself for an achievement.

NONE of my Asian friends would wear a fake.

lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 07:03 PM   #26
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

I think Chinese wearing fake watches era is gone. I am working in China and China today it is separated btw ppl who wear authentic expensive watches or not wearing a wristwatch at all. Brands like Seiko, Hamilton,....market isn't as big as in US. In my experience, people asking me to where to buy replica, watches, bags, shoes are my western colleagues or clients. Majority are not interested spending on a watch or has an interest.
wuyeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 09:13 PM   #27
Spurman
"TRF" Member

B4 covid.
China chinese made up of half of singapore's buyers of patek phillipe. And a good amt of rolexes too

Theres like a billion chinese and prob 10 million of them r millionaries and well they love gold and watches n esp rolex.

Thus rolex will forever be in demand i am afraid
Spurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 09:25 PM   #28
ninjin
"TRF" Member

Watch: give me time...
For Chinese people, a Rolex is something that has to be done if you can afford it.

It is a sign of success. I would not call it flexing but more of a coming of age.

I grew up from knowing what a Rolex was and aspired to owning one, took me till my 30th birthday to actually afford one.

Well, that's how it used to be in the 80s, 90s, 2000s.... Un-fortunately nowadays I know of too many youngsters who cant afford them buying them on low interest credit. The addiction of 'Social Media' has no borders.

The really wealthy no longer wear Rolex, PP and RM are the favourites nowadays.
Old 16 December 2021, 09:29 PM   #29
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post

Nice insight into a culture I admittedly am unfamiliar with
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 10:48 PM   #30
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Don’t the Chinese have a new thing “sharing the wealth” and are cutting back on luxury items that most can’t afford? Watches and handbags mostly I assume
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote