The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 12 February 2018, 10:01 PM   #1
sgmgolf
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600,16710,Tudor
Thinking of getting back into Panerai.....opinions please?

Had a few in the past and thinking about a return to Panerai. Not a big fan of the date on Panerai models but not a deal breaker either. Ideally a 42mm model will fit me best but I can handle 44mm......my wrist size is 6.75.
These are the models I have been looking at....392, 512, 560, 590.....thoughts/likes/dislikes on those? Any other models that I should be looking at from the Panaristi crowd here?
Thanks in advance for your consideration and suggestions.

Steve
sgmgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 04:21 AM   #2
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Oh steve, you have the whole world open to you at 6.75 inches! I wouldn't look at the 42mm PAMs unless you are absolutely sure that you don't want to go any bigger and you have tried both 42mm and 44mm PAMs on.

I know a number of newly minted Paneristis who started with 42mm and quickly regretted it, pnly to sell and move up to 44mm.

But, I will give you my take on both 42mm and 44mm PAMs..

At 6.75 inches, if you go 42mm, I would suggest the SS PAM 722 over the 392...the 722 is exactly like the 1392 (the newer version of the 392), except it comes with a SS bracelet that can easily be changed to leather straps...the 42mm 722 wears bigger than 42mm when its on a SS bracelet...when you put it on a strap, you are basically wearing a 1392 (which is the thinner version of a 392 with ecru lume and a blue sub-second hand)...the 722 gives you maximum versatility for a marginal upcharge for the SS bracelet...

the 512 is also a beauty...Nigel just recently purchased one, and it has its firm roots in its cousin Rolex...With a Rolex crown and a smaller face, you are venturing far from home with this particular PAM...I personally wouldn't choose the 512 as my one and only PAM, especially if you have a few Rolex, but I can see where you would be comfortable with it...

PAM 560 is a great entry level PAM with an 8 day movement...the newer models have painted dials as opposed to sandwich...if sandwich is what you are looking for, you will need to buy in the previously owned market and specifically look for a Q series or earlier...

the 590 is a favorite of many RIstis. I call it "owl eyes." It has DNA and wears well with a number of different straps...once again, you get the benefit of an 8 day movement...

the two other PAMs that I would consider is the 233 (depending on your budget or whether you would buy previously owned) and the 1351...the 1351 is new and it is absolutely stunning with the tobacco brown dial and blue sub second hand...its a very light wear as it is TI, and highly versatile with strap combinations...the gold hands are really off the hook...I would definitely look at the 1351...

good luck and enjoy...let me know if you have any follow up questions...
erik asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 08:25 AM   #3
sgmgolf
"TRF" Member

Erik-

Awesome info. and thanks so much for taking the time to write this up. Very helpful to me. I have had a PAM 24 and 164 previously but that was years ago.

I am fairly certain I want to go 42mm.......the 44mm cases are fine I just prefer the 42mm. I do like the 512 for the Rolex DNA you mentioned.....to me it is very much sporty and dress and can pull off both rather well.
All the Luminor models with the locking crown guard lever and bulk just seem very sporty(not a bad thing)....would be tough to wear with a suit, no???
Lastly, I should have mentioned I have no interest in a bracelet Panerai. One of the main reasons I am interested in another Panerai watch is the fact that I have no watches on a leather strap and strongly desire one. I will have a look at the 233....but i would say the leading candidates are 512, 392 & 590.
Thanks again for your well informed post and helping me navigate many different versions Panerai offers.

Old 13 February 2018, 08:40 AM   #4
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 February 2018, 10:35 AM   #5
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5226G & 5513(1963)
Noob Input

Hello! If you don't mind some input from a noob, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents for what it is worth. Recently I went through a similar journey looking for my first Panerai. My younger son always wanted a Panerai and purchased a PAM 111 about 2 years ago. About 5 weeks ago, my older son was smitten with his brother's 111 and he also bought a 111. The 111's are simply an icon but the wrist presence is pronounced and I wanted something a bit more modest in size.

Having said that, I think my requirements were very similar to yours...
  • 42mm case size for my 6 3/4" wrist
  • Thin case where it easily can slip under a dress shirt and wear flat
  • Depending on strap choice, a Panerai that I could wear as a sport or dress watch
  • An exhibition case back
  • Manual Wind (I take great pleasure winding a mechanical watch)
  • No date since I wanted a cleaner look
  • Seconds hand at the 9 o'clock position

The model I settled upon was the 512. I am sure you reviewed NigelUK post by now and know that the 512 fit the bill perfectly. There was one aspect where the 512 exceeded my expectations and that is the magnificent design of the case. The curved lines on the case, the belt line that runs around the circumference, etc. really makes in a gem in my mind. Beautiful design!

Note: I believe the 512 was later replaced by the 574 with a newer movement, but I don't know if the thickness is the same as the 512. I'm sure someone on the forum can provide more detail.

Below are a few pictures of my 512. I believe if you click on the images it will forward you to IMGBOX where you can view them in greater resolution. Enjoy the hunt for your Panerai!

Size comparison to the 111 (44mm)

My 512

mjolnir2thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 02:17 AM   #6
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjolnir2thor View Post
Hello! If you don't mind some input from a noob, I thought I would throw in my 2 cents for what it is worth. Recently I went through a similar journey looking for my first Panerai. My younger son always wanted a Panerai and purchased a PAM 111 about 2 years ago. About 5 weeks ago, my older son was smitten with his brother's 111 and he also bought a 111. The 111's are simply an icon but the wrist presence is pronounced and I wanted something a bit more modest in size.

Having said that, I think my requirements were very similar to yours...
  • 42mm case size for my 6 3/4" wrist
  • Thin case where it easily can slip under a dress shirt and wear flat
  • Depending on strap choice, a Panerai that I could wear as a sport or dress watch
  • An exhibition case back
  • Manual Wind (I take great pleasure winding a mechanical watch)
  • No date since I wanted a cleaner look
  • Seconds hand at the 9 o'clock position

The model I settled upon was the 512. I am sure you reviewed NigelUK post by now and know that the 512 fit the bill perfectly. There was one aspect where the 512 exceeded my expectations and that is the magnificent design of the case. The curved lines on the case, the belt line that runs around the circumference, etc. really makes in a gem in my mind. Beautiful design!

Note: I believe the 512 was later replaced by the 574 with a newer movement, but I don't know if the thickness is the same as the 512. I'm sure someone on the forum can provide more detail.

Below are a few pictures of my 512. I believe if you click on the images it will forward you to IMGBOX where you can view them in greater resolution. Enjoy the hunt for your Panerai!

Size comparison to the 111 (44mm)

My 512

Great shots and info...the 512 is a beauty and I also agree with your comment regarding the 574...although the 574 has the luminova lume as opposed to the ecru, and its an auto movement...
Old 14 February 2018, 02:20 AM   #7
erik asher
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmgolf View Post
Erik-

Awesome info. and thanks so much for taking the time to write this up. Very helpful to me. I have had a PAM 24 and 164 previously but that was years ago.

I am fairly certain I want to go 42mm.......the 44mm cases are fine I just prefer the 42mm. I do like the 512 for the Rolex DNA you mentioned.....to me it is very much sporty and dress and can pull off both rather well.
All the Luminor models with the locking crown guard lever and bulk just seem very sporty(not a bad thing)....would be tough to wear with a suit, no???
Lastly, I should have mentioned I have no interest in a bracelet Panerai. One of the main reasons I am interested in another Panerai watch is the fact that I have no watches on a leather strap and strongly desire one. I will have a look at the 233....but i would say the leading candidates are 512, 392 & 590.
Thanks again for your well informed post and helping me navigate many different versions Panerai offers.

sounds like you know what you want and the 392 and 512 are front runners...given you like the ecru lume of the 512, have you considered a 1392? the 1392 is the same as the 392 except ecru lume and a blue subsecond hand...its also about 20% slimmer than the 392, which makes it a bit less bulky and easier to wear with suits...
Old 14 February 2018, 10:03 AM   #8
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erik asher View Post
Great shots and info...the 512 is a beauty and I also agree with your comment regarding the 574...although the 574 has the luminova lume as opposed to the ecru, and its an auto movement...
Thanks Erik. When I started my search I was not really looking for the ecru but looking for an example with luminova; however, it wasn’t a make or brake requirement. Now that I have seen the watch in person, I really like the aged look against the black face of the watch.

The 574 was my backup plan if I could not find a 512; however, it worked out in the end.
Old 14 February 2018, 11:58 AM   #9
mjolnir2thor
"TRF" Member

Eric,

FYI - Checked the Panerai site and the 574 is a hand wound movement so would be a good alternative to the 512.

http://www.panerai.com/en-us/collect..._pam00574.html
Old 14 February 2018, 12:10 PM   #10
SkyKing31
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tridor Masterpiece
They look very large on the wrist
Old 14 February 2018, 12:12 PM   #11
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
Panerai AD told me they were coming out with a 38mm. Do not know when.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 12:43 PM   #12
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I just bought a 722 and I LOVE it. It's the perfect blend of having the panerai style without the huge case, but still having it be proportioned nicely. FYI my wrist is 7 inches, but it would be fine with yours! The bracelet is AWESOME. One of the most comfortable I've worn of all brands.

sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 01:46 PM   #13
sgmgolf
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for your informative posts. Yes, I am narrowing down my search on the 512 & 392. They seem to be the front runners for sure. Knowing now that I can also fit an OEM PAM Rubber Strap on the Radiomir.....another bonus....wasn’t sure about that initially.
Cheers
Old 14 February 2018, 02:25 PM   #14
Joearch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
I nave been thru 20 or so Panerai in the last 10 years. I had replaced them with Rolex as i lost the Panerai buzz. A couple of weks ago i came across a 233 that i have completely fallen in love with. Give it a second look.
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2018, 02:28 PM   #15
buddymunster
"TRF" Member

I have a very small wrist and have a 42mm. I would recommend a 44mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
buddymunster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2018, 01:45 AM   #16
mar1140
"TRF" Member

For 6.75 wrists, you can't go wrong with the 512.
mar1140 is offline   Reply With Quote