The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 August 2020, 08:41 AM   #31
greatgoo
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT 16750
A lot of great points here. Damn you!!! 🤣

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
Interesting indeed. We like what we like. I've owned the white Daytona-C twice and flipped it twice. The second time I wore it for a month straight and just couldn't get into it. Too toothpaste white, unlike the old 6263s that have a little silver in the dial.

One thing to keep in mind when contemplating vintage versus modern ... good examples of vintage Rolexes are becoming harder and harder to find and for the most part are becoming more and more expensive, a trend that will continue, IMHO. (They ain't making them any more!) But modern Rolexes will always be around, and replacing them is relatively easy.

In other words, flipping a modern Rolex for a beautiful vintage might be a good move in certain circumstances. I've done it a couple of times, and the last time landed me this DRSD. I traded, in part, a white gold Daytona on Oysterflex, which is replaceable. (I did). But finding another 1665 like this would be very, very difficult.
greatgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:23 AM   #32
42itus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by swish77 View Post
But finding another 1665 like this would be very, very difficult.
Wow!!! This watch is amazing!!! And I agree with many of your points on selling modern to fund a vintage.

The thing with vintage is that the few times I've run into them in the wild I'm interested in seeing it up close (after a little small talk so the guy didn't think I'm nuts). With modern, there isn't a model that would stop me in my tracks and make me want to look at it up close because all modern looks the same.
42itus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 09:28 AM   #33
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
I recommend you to keep your 116500 if you dont know what you are doing. Vintage market is a field of mine. Fine pcs. are not easy to come by. Good luck
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 10:40 AM   #34
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Yea it would take 2 daytonas to get a 1665 like that....
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 August 2020, 06:48 AM   #35
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskiserkan View Post
I recommend you to keep your 116500 if you dont know what you are doing. Vintage market is a field of mine. Fine pcs. are not easy to come by. Good luck
Doing the legwork and research is part of the fun. All vintage Rolex lovers didn't know what they were doing at some point. We all gotta start somewhere.

If the OP is ready to move into vintage, I'd just sell the Daytona outright (you'd have buyers lining up), and use the cash to buy your dream vintage watch. Do your homework on the reference you want, and contact a couple of well-known dealers with great reputations to help you find it. If you're careful and use common sense, it can be done!

I've only ever regretted selling some of my vintage watches. I've never, ever regretted selling a modern Rolex. Why? You can always get another one (assuming funds allow it.)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote