The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 16 October 2018, 06:27 AM   #1
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Watch winders.

I'm intrigued by the watch winder thing.
What ARE the advantages/disadvantages?

With a timepiece that's not worn frequently, aren't you
just putting unnecessary 'miles on the clock'?
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:27 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

In before Padi

AKA...IBP
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:40 AM   #3
Brew
"TRF" Member

I enjoy sitting on the edge of the bed, shaved, dressed, almost ready to go, just taking one more moment to set and wind my watch. Then I'm ready to go.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:47 AM   #4
R!$
Banned

advantages- never having to set your watch
-nice display

disadvantages- the expense
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:02 AM   #5
uansari1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar 16570
I get my watches serviced when they hit 5 years...so using a winder isn’t an issue for me. But I don’t mind the 30 seconds it takes to set any of my watches that have stopped. They’re locked in my safe when I’m not wearing them anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Explorer 124270
Omega Seamaster GMT 50th Anniversary
uansari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 07:21 AM   #6
Dsmith1974
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 40
I can’t see the point as I like winding and setting a watch and the thought of them having a well deserved rest when off the wrist. The good ones aren’t cheap and the cheap ones may magnatize the movement.

I guess they’re good if you don’t like setting watches and/or like watching the winder do its thing and have your watches on display.
Dsmith1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 05:46 PM   #7
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
In before Padi

AKA...IBP

Old 16 October 2018, 05:48 PM   #8
marcopolo05
"TRF" Member

Imho. Not very useful for Rolex...

Any full or perpetual calendars however. Always setting date day month moon phase...

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A6003 en utilisant Tapatalk
marcopolo05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:00 PM   #9
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Virgil Hilts View Post
search the one of probably a hundreds of winder threads you will see a theme
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:15 PM   #10
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
In before Padi

AKA...IBP

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:16 PM   #11
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I find that having a winder helps with my rotation. I enjoy setting my watches, but I’m always in a rush in the mornings! I find myself sometimes changing my watch three times in a day depending on what I’m doing and my outfits.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 06:28 PM   #12
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
search the one of probably a hundreds of winder threads you will see a theme
Generally, I only 'skim over' the Rolex threads.
Can't say I've ever noticed this specific enquiry, and thought the replies
might be of interest.
Apologies if I've trodden on an old corn.
Old 16 October 2018, 09:16 PM   #13
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Let's face it, most posts here are old subjects raised, ad nauseam...well they are aren't they?

What are you drinking, what shall I buy, is it safe, steering wheels, do you like my watch, see my collection and tell me how clever I am, etc, etc, I could go, on and on, ad nauseam.

But that's why we're here, amongst all the dross, there's an occasional gem thats's worth logging on for.
Maybe questions do get asked, by some members that don't, know it all, and haven't posted and read thousands of entries on here.
So I think that before an application of Godwin's law is intimated, regarding some of the more senior members, (frankly, quite snotty) responses here, to genuine enquiries, we all just ignore the dross as much as we can, laugh at the inane, help if we can, and enjoy this, mostly great source of information and good humoured banter that is TRF.
Old 16 October 2018, 09:37 PM   #14
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Let's face it, most posts here are old subjects raised, ad nauseam...well they are aren't they?

What are you drinking, what shall I buy, is it safe, steering wheels, do you like my watch, see my collection and tell me how clever I am, etc, etc, I could go, on and on, ad nauseam.

But that's why we're here, amongst all the dross, there's an occasional gem thats's worth logging on for.
Maybe questions do get asked, by some members that don't, know it all, and haven't posted and read thousands of entries on here.
So I think that before an application of Godwin's law is intimated, regarding some of the more senior members, (frankly, quite snotty) responses here, to genuine enquiries, we all just ignore the dross as much as we can, laugh at the inane, help if we can, and enjoy this, mostly great source of information and good humoured banter that is TRF.
Watch winders are fine. But the wear and tear when not in use would bother me. If I owned a perpetual calendar, or some similarly complicated masterpiece, it would probably get wound enough whenever I went to admire it.

What do you think this lady is shopping for?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg India iPhone 286.jpg (259.6 KB, 148 views)
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 October 2018, 10:02 PM   #15
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

What do you think this lady is shopping for?[/QUOTE]

Something with a 'Moophase' perhaps?
Old 16 October 2018, 10:12 PM   #16
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Here is the data on wear and tear running a watch constant for 15 years on a winder and wrist:

I have used a watch wonder for over 20 years. I had a very public thread with empirical data of what extra wear and tear does or doesn’t cause. 15 years my Rolex TT Sub (Bluesy) was either on my wrist or on a Orbita watch winder. This watch was never serviced or even opened up in that 15 years time. Even though the watch ran flawlessly and kept the same +4 seconds the entire time, I sent the watch to Rikki at Time Care inc for a routine servicing. Rikki reported the watch was in excellent condidtion and did not require any extra parts for its routine servicing. He also reported there was no signs of excessive wear.

I currently use a multi head programmable watch winder. I own several from Orbita and Brookstone. I generally keep 4 of my watches running for rotation. The winder is attractive and safely displays my watches. It’s enjoyable to watch my watches run and rotate on the winder as I can’t wear them all at the same time. It’s also a fun way of monitoring their time keeping all at the same time as I can have each watch rest in either 4 different positions on the winder optimizing each watches accuracy.
Old 16 October 2018, 11:08 PM   #17
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Thanks Mystro, for a very interesting and detailed response.
Much appreciated.
Old 17 October 2018, 05:58 AM   #18
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

After about 20 years of doing this, in my opinion just don't. Extra wear and tear plus keep in mind it really doesn't vary the position of the watch axis. Too much consistency unless you get a really fancy one to follow the natural movement of the wrist.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 06:14 AM   #19
Smokey.Bubbles
"TRF" Member

I must admit I now fall into the winder camp. Had my PO seamaster for 10 years and on inspection from a professional he said it was in superb condition.

My winder is now broken and winding my rotation every time feels like it must be causing more stress on the movement than the occasional stay on a winder.

Just me 2 cence

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Smokey.Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 09:01 AM   #20
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjoythemusic View Post
After about 20 years of doing this, in my opinion just don't. Extra wear and tear plus keep in mind it really doesn't vary the position of the watch axis. Too much consistency unless you get a really fancy one to follow the natural movement of the wrist.
It is much easier to snap a mainspring constantly winding up a watch, than to keep it on a winder which keeps the mainspring wound and at optimum tension. I am in agreement with @MYSTRO on this subject. A winder is also a safe dust free place for your watch to sit when not on the wrist, especially with little children with sticky fingers in the house!
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 09:21 AM   #21
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
I use them, many.
Enjoy not having to wind a watch, for a guy that enjoys wearing what he feels like in any given day.
Old 17 October 2018, 09:40 AM   #22
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
What do you think this lady is shopping for?

Something with a 'Moophase' perhaps?[/QUOTE]

Old 18 October 2018, 05:41 AM   #23
R!$
Banned

Most Rolex have 2-3 days power reserve so if you have over 10 watches it allows you to avoid resetting it every week
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 October 2018, 06:13 AM   #24
Aldwyn
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Mast II 116713
I have had the same experience as Mystro... When I would come home from work, my Tag would go into the winder... sometimes I wouldnt put it on for a couple of days if I was just bumming around the house with no where to go, so it could have been in the winder for several days in a row at times. This went on for 10 years, and I finally had service done to it (for no reason other than I felt 10 years was long enough). I also needed no extra parts other than the usual stem and seals, and was told everything looked great in the movement.
Aldwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 07:35 PM   #25
SW1
Banned

Quote:

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...te+watchwinder
SW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 07:42 PM   #26
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Here is the data on wear and tear running a watch constant for 15 years on a winder and wrist:

I have used a watch wonder for over 20 years. I had a very public thread with empirical data of what extra wear and tear does or doesn’t cause. 15 years my Rolex TT Sub (Bluesy) was either on my wrist or on a Orbita watch winder. This watch was never serviced or even opened up in that 15 years time. Even though the watch ran flawlessly and kept the same +4 seconds the entire time, I sent the watch to Rikki at Time Care inc for a routine servicing. Rikki reported the watch was in excellent condidtion and did not require any extra parts for its routine servicing. He also reported there was no signs of excessive wear.

I currently use a multi head programmable watch winder. I own several from Orbita and Brookstone. I generally keep 4 of my watches running for rotation. The winder is attractive and safely displays my watches. It’s enjoyable to watch my watches run and rotate on the winder as I can’t wear them all at the same time. It’s also a fun way of monitoring their time keeping all at the same time as I can have each watch rest in either 4 different positions on the winder optimizing each watches accuracy.
Watch WONDER.

Stop winding him up.😂😂. NPI.

Steve knows all about watch winders in his 10 years on the forum.

Steve knows everything.

Just ask him.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 November 2018, 07:44 PM   #27
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R!$ View Post
Most Rolex have 2-3 days power reserve so if you have over 10 watches it allows you to avoid resetting it every week
Nope, if you want to be sure that most Rolex watches will keep going you will have to wind them every day.

Think about it.......

In any event I didn’t understand wot u sed.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote