The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 24 November 2017, 11:12 PM   #61
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
^
Perhaps infraction points would've sufficed instead of a straight ban.
Isn't that the whole point of having the system in place?
Other members got infraction points and warnings and backed off, I imagine same for Karl. If not I hope he got a cooling off type of ban and might be allowed to return.
Old 24 November 2017, 11:37 PM   #62
fmc000
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Other members got infraction points and warnings and backed off, I imagine same for Karl. If not I hope he got a cooling off type of ban and might be allowed to return.
Steve wrote that Karl was warned in private multiple times and it didn't back off.
Old 26 November 2017, 06:54 AM   #63
yessir69
2024 Pledge Member

Obviously I'm late to the party. What happened to Karl? Is there a thread link someone can post?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 26 November 2017, 07:03 PM   #64
Oryx
"TRF" Member

We need Karl back on here - he brought an interesting perspective and somewhat rejuvenated the Patek sub forum over the last 12-18 months.

Mods - any chance of a reprieve?
Old 26 November 2017, 10:55 PM   #65
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
One more chance?

Fantastic choice! Congratulations!!
Old 26 November 2017, 11:52 PM   #66
Bryant Park
Banned

Your community is respectfully asking for a second chance for the betterment of the site as a whole.
Old 27 November 2017, 12:25 AM   #67
Defiancekofb
"TRF" Member

Wow KarlS is banned? One of the most informative Patek owners in the world perhaps. Never thought I would be shocked as I am now....
Old 27 November 2017, 01:50 AM   #68
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I think KarlS should be allowed back, but as penance he has to wield his considerable PP clout to source each of us who would like one, a 5522.

"Dibs!"
Old 27 November 2017, 02:01 AM   #69
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
that is my hope as well and I don't know what happened behind the scenes. What i do know is i would like to see some sort of a suspension system if needed rather than the death sentence especially for more questionable/grey area conduct. It was not scamming or trolling. A 1 month, 2 month, or even 6 month timeout is preferable to being gone forever. It seems as though per the mods that a banning is almost always permanent though, which is a shame. I remember reading that in another thread where the topic came up. Its not up to me obviously, just a suggestion from the peanut gallery.
Old 27 November 2017, 02:04 AM   #70
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Karl has provided valuable insight and advice to all of Us on the Patek forum. He was one of the first guys to get a 5524, 5930, and 5320. He is a respected collector and has helped several members source hard to get pieces with no ulterior motives or attempts to profit from them. We can all get carried away at times but I feel it would be in the best interest of this forum if the mods would consider bringing him and socaltoaz back on a probationary basis. (If I left others out please reconsider their membership as well). Without guys like these we should just name the Patek forum “5711/1A Forum” since that is the only topic discussed when you eliminate collectors like these guys. And I am not taking a dump on the 5711 as it is an amazing piece but these guys brought a lot of valued opinions to pieces other than what we usually see. Mods, Thanks in advance for your consideration.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
Old 27 November 2017, 02:15 AM   #71
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

When someone is banned, isn't it a bit of "cut off your nose to spite your face" kind of justice? The banned person can lurk all they want on the forum, but just can't "give anything back" by contributing anything.

I understand when you have trolls and scammers that they provide only disservice and should be stopped from participating. But perhaps some of these lifetime bans for posts of situations that are perceived by the mods to have gotten out of control end up hurting the forum more than helping it.

I don't know, but I do know we are spending a lot more time discussing rules than we are watches these days.
Old 27 November 2017, 02:25 AM   #72
Knappo 1307
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
When someone is banned, isn't it a bit of "cut off your nose to spite your face" kind of justice? The banned person can lurk all they want on the forum, but just can't "give anything back" by contributing anything.

I understand when you have trolls and scammers that they provide only disservice and should be stopped from participating. But perhaps some of these lifetime bans for posts of situations that are perceived by the mods to have gotten out of control end up hurting the forum more than helping it.

I don't know, but I do know we are spending a lot more time discussing rules than we are watches these days.
He's on the forum right now.... See his profile..
Old 27 November 2017, 02:30 AM   #73
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
I don't know all the details. But may I say, if both sides take a gentle one little step back and mend the gap, we all can get along and march happily forward together?
Old 27 November 2017, 02:41 AM   #74
Lange
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Karl has provided valuable insight and advice to all of Us on the Patek forum. He was one of the first guys to get a 5524, 5930, and 5320. He is a respected collector and has helped several members source hard to get pieces with no ulterior motives or attempts to profit from them. We can all get carried away at times but I feel it would be in the best interest of this forum if the mods would consider bringing him and socaltoaz back on a probationary basis. (If I left others out please reconsider their membership as well). Without guys like these we should just name the Patek forum “5711/1A Forum” since that is the only topic discussed when you eliminate collectors like these guys. And I am not taking a dump on the 5711 as it is an amazing piece but these guys brought a lot of valued opinions to pieces other than what we usually see. Mods, Thanks in advance for your consideration.
This x100.

I also remember a couple of people with amazing collections being banned for no good reason. Like Bryan (sp?) with his amazing collection of Pateks and carved wooden tables and elliott. People can make mistakes but banning people who contribute substantially to the forum only hurts the forum.

There is not many VIP customers and even less that post their collection online. These people should be thanked for sharing their collections, they should be encouraged and their mistakes should be tolerated.

I really hope we can see Karl back in the forum posting his 5320g.
Old 27 November 2017, 02:51 AM   #75
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

Bring Karl back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 November 2017, 03:03 AM   #76
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lange View Post
There is not many VIP customers and even less that post their collection online. These people should be thanked for sharing their collections, they should be encouraged and their mistakes should be tolerated.
So basically different sets of rules depending on the magnitude of one's collection?

I think I understand your point, but its implementation seems a logistical impossibility.

Old 27 November 2017, 03:21 AM   #77
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony64 View Post
So basically different sets of rules depending on the magnitude of one's collection?

Uh oh. See below:
Old 27 November 2017, 03:30 AM   #78
Lange
Banned

Quote:

I think I understand your point, but its implementation seems a logistical impossibility.

Im just saying don't ban people sharing their 7 figure collections for petty reasons.
Old 27 November 2017, 03:31 AM   #79
Tony64
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lange View Post
Im just saying don't ban people sharing their 7 figure collections for petty reasons.
Oh oh, you didn't just say that, did you?
Old 27 November 2017, 03:32 AM   #80
Bryant Park
Banned

Quote:

Let's boil this down to simple business terms and trust everyone to be motivated by self interest. All of us that respond, lurk or contribute original content enjoy the venue because of the information and entertainment it provides. The moderator and owner have a business enterprise they want to see flourish.

If the quality of the content is diminished fewer people will tune in, and the general quality of discourse risks entering a downward spiral. Lesser content-fewer readers-fewer contributors- and so on. No one wants that.

So if the moderators based on the totality of what they have experienced think the likes of Karl and SoCaltoAz do more harm as participants then the void their absence creates we have to defer to their judgement. Clearly either result harms the franchise and has peripheral follow on downside potentials.

All of us have busy lives and our willingness to "add value" to the TRF franchise is an individual decision but it's stewardship is in the hands of the mods. Our request to reinstate has been made loudly and I am sure heard, it remains others decision whether or not it is listened to. Moving on yet again:)
Old 27 November 2017, 03:41 AM   #81
Lange
Banned

Quote:
Oh oh, you didn't just say that, did you?
Maybe I should be banned.

Famous last words.
Old 27 November 2017, 03:45 AM   #82
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant Park View Post
Let's boil this down to simple business terms and trust everyone to be motivated by self interest. All of us that respond, lurk or contribute original content enjoy the venue because of the information and entertainment it provides. The moderator and owner have a business enterprise they want to see flourish.

If the quality of the content is diminished fewer people will tune in, and the general quality of discourse risks entering a downward spiral. Lesser content-fewer readers-fewer contributors- and so on. No one wants that.

So if the moderators based on the totality of what they have experienced think the likes of Karl and SoCaltoAz do more harm as participants then the void their absence creates we have to defer to their judgement. Clearly either result harms the franchise and has peripheral follow on downside potentials.

All of us have busy lives and our willingness to "add value" to the TRF franchise is an individual decision but it's stewardship is in the hands of the mods. Our request to reinstate has been made loudly and I am sure heard, it remains others decision whether or not it is listened to. Moving on yet again:)
Sorry but this is no business enterpise for me as I make a big fat zero dollars moderating here. Secondly this has nothing to do with steweardship give me a break. Karl is banned and was banned by the forum owner who can do whatever he likes. He warned him and he kept up with it. It is what it is. If he wants to change his mind that is between him and Karl. A handful of members don’t dictate outcomes around here. I have said earlier to you if you don’t like the way this forum is run go find another. This thread is also now closed.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
Closed Thread