The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 December 2017, 01:32 AM   #1
hsfrank
"TRF" Member

Watch: President
Taking a Knee

Mods My intent here is the start of an open discussion I and avoid any politics. There is more than one viewpoint about this and I hope that all respond can keep it civil and not attack anyone.

Taking a knee is a form of protest. Everyone can agree on that. It is my view that protest is as American as apple pie and should be respected. A quick look at history of America will show that protest existed even before the revolution started. We all know about the tea party in Boston which many believe to be the start of our country. Continues with Delaware (my home state) being the first to break with England even before the Declaration of Independence. It continues with the Civil War as a protest of the federal government usurping states rights. In present-day protesters against the Vietnam war often burn our flag. (Yes I was in Vietnam and it did disturb me but I respect the rights of the protesters to express their opinion in a legal way). While some may say burning the flag is criminal it is a permitted form of freedom of expression according to the Supreme Court.
Prominent sports figures have often been featured in protests. Muhammad Ali refuse to be drafted during the Vietnam war. To promenade athletes gave the black power salute during the Olympics. All this lead up to Colin Kaepernick sitting during the national anthem. It was later joined in a different protest by Tom Brady locking arms with his fellow players and subsequently by NFL players taking a knee during the playing of the national anthem.
IMHO this country, this world, needs to except the different viewpoints exist and respect the rights of others to express that viewpoint. Opposition should certainly occur but without rancor or spiteful name calling. Without protest we certainly would be a colony of England. Well I love much about England and its ways and matter I still cherish my own country and I’m glad to say that I am an American.

Time and Tide wait for no man

Rolex Cellini 4133
Tudor North Flag

HERS:
Rolex TTDJ
Old 12 December 2017, 01:37 AM   #2
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
If I used my work time to protest anything I’d get fired. Especially if it cost my company sales.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Old 12 December 2017, 01:38 AM   #3
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
You never get anywhere by beginning a conversation with an insult. Many people are offended by this particular protest. The conversation ended before anything meaningful could be accomplished.

Only now, after much backpedaling, are they defining their grievance. Too late, they ve burned the bridge. Those who were already supporters continue to voice support, but no new support can be had because they’ve alienated the masses.
Old 12 December 2017, 01:40 AM   #4
Syed117
"TRF" Member

There are so many more things in the world that I might take offense to than someone taking a knee during a song.

So glad my ego or sense of self worth isn't that fragile.

I completely agree with you. People who throw their hands up about these things don't really care about what America was founded on. They just care about their narrow view of what their own personal identity thinks America is.
Old 12 December 2017, 01:45 AM   #5
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syed117 View Post
There are so many more things in the world that I might take offense to than someone taking a knee during a song.

So glad my ego or sense of self worth isn't that fragile.

I completely agree with you. People who throw their hands up about these things don't really care about what America was founded on. They just care about their narrow view of what their own personal identity thinks America is.
Yep. And this post will most certainly get this thread closed. “Just a song”. Holy cow.

Instagram - patton250
Old 12 December 2017, 01:50 AM   #6
BravoOne
Banned

It's all political. What don't you get about that? Black Lives Matter is political and for that matter just about everything these days is political. A bunch of overpaid prima donnas will never get my respect if they can't for the National Anthem, then your nothing in my eyes.

Can't wait for the flaming to begin.
Old 12 December 2017, 01:53 AM   #7
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
Yep. And this post will most certainly get this thread closed. “Just a song”. Holy cow.
My wife is from India and doesn’t have a dog in the hunt. But, she can’t believe this is tolerated here. Standing for a national anthem is considered a fundemental duty in the largest democracy in the world.

Speaks volumes that it’s ok to offend a patriot, but speaking out against PC issues makes you a racist.
Old 12 December 2017, 01:56 AM   #8
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfrank View Post
Mods My intent here is the start of an open discussion I and avoid any politics. There is more than one viewpoint about this and I hope that all respond can keep it civil and not attack anyone.

Taking a knee is a form of protest. Everyone can agree on that. It is my view that protest is as American as apple pie and should be respected. A quick look at history of America will show that protest existed even before the revolution started. We all know about the tea party in Boston which many believe to be the start of our country. Continues with Delaware (my home state) being the first to break with England even before the Declaration of Independence. It continues with the Civil War as a protest of the federal government usurping states rights. In present-day protesters against the Vietnam war often burn our flag. (Yes I was in Vietnam and it did disturb me but I respect the rights of the protesters to express their opinion in a legal way). While some may say burning the flag is criminal it is a permitted form of freedom of expression according to the Supreme Court.
Prominent sports figures have often been featured in protests. Muhammad Ali refuse to be drafted during the Vietnam war. To promenade athletes gave the black power salute during the Olympics. All this lead up to Colin Kaepernick sitting during the national anthem. It was later joined in a different protest by Tom Brady locking arms with his fellow players and subsequently by NFL players taking a knee during the playing of the national anthem.
IMHO this country, this world, needs to except the different viewpoints exist and respect the rights of others to express that viewpoint. Opposition should certainly occur but without rancor or spiteful name calling. Without protest we certainly would be a colony of England. Well I love much about England and its ways and matter I still cherish my own country and I’m glad to say that I am an American.
I take issue with this post. We invented apple pie, not the Americans. You lot can stick to your pumpkin pie and doughnuts or something equally disgusting.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 12 December 2017, 01:56 AM   #9
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
My wife is from India and doesn’t have a dog in the hunt. But, she can’t believe this is tolerated here. Standing for a national anthem is considered a fundemental duty in the largest democracy in the world.

Speaks volumes that it’s ok to offend a patriot, but speaking out against PC issues makes you a racist.
I agree with you 100%. For the first time since the age of five years old I have not watched the NFL. Nor will I until this ends.

Instagram - patton250
Closed Thread