The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 December 2015, 04:18 AM   #61
JRT
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Forgive the ignorance but what does PCL stand for?
Thanks.
PCL stands for Polished Center Link. Current SS Daytona and SS GMT ceramic models use PCL bracelet, and however, all SS Sub models use entire brushed link bracelet.
JRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2015, 04:24 AM   #62
ericg
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/SubC/SMP 300
I own both so no help here. Sub looks great on your wrist shot. Happy hunting
ericg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2015, 04:26 AM   #63
ericg
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR/SubC/SMP 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaan7 View Post
I have heard the gmt is not so time less and a few people get bored of it after a while.How do you guys feel about that opinion? I do travel a bit,once or twice a year but dont really dive either.So im not going to decide on the watch for its function.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
I've been wearing my BLNR for a while and never bored with it. It's getting more wrist time than the SubC
ericg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2015, 04:53 AM   #64
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Looks like all the BLNR fan boys are out trying to convince everybody that the Sub is not the iconic, simple, elegant, original and best Rolex steel sports that we all know it is.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2015, 04:54 AM   #65
Robbyman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona/Pepsi/Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickMP View Post
in the end, i decided to go SUBC-DATE, more subtle, glide-lock sealed the deal.

Right reasons to make the choice. Words cannot explain how enjoyable the wearing is due to the glide lock clasp.
Robbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2015, 05:34 AM   #66
kirksingleton
"TRF" Member

I keep on buying subs, not really interested in the gmt except for the pepsi's.
I am sure, given enough time, you will own both.
The only way I would buy the bnlr is with the super jubilee.
kirksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2015, 05:38 AM   #67
taz101
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbyman View Post
Looks like all the BLNR fan boys are out trying to convince everybody that the Sub is not the iconic, simple, elegant, original and best Rolex steel sports that we all know it is.
herehere
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5306.jpg (83.4 KB, 291 views)
taz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2015, 05:40 AM   #68
mikelcch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why do BLNR owners need to convince? This is quite a shallow comment isn't it? I don't think any BLNR owners said anything about the Sub not being iconic. A Sub will always be a Sub as we know it and many have both for good reasons. There's nothing wrong with having a GMT complication with a dual colour ceramic bezel, all stainless steel meant for frequent time zone travellers.

I don't think you need to convince others that Sub is the "best" model or range in the Rolex world. Everyone has different needs and what is best to you may not be best to everyone else.

To the OP, go with what's best for you. Savour the experience and either one is a good choice!
mikelcch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2015, 06:48 AM   #69
Loevhagen
"TRF" Member

I like the Submariner - but love the BLNR. Put the latter on a true GMT-bracelet (62510H "50" and 502T end links) - to differentiate the Submariner and the BLNR. Pick the one that appeals to you thereafter.

Loevhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2015, 09:45 AM   #70
mbbrewer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat View Post
Forgive the ignorance but what does PCL stand for?
Thanks.
Polished Center Links
mbbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2015, 11:21 AM   #71
kingSubTT
"TRF" Member

Watch: SmurfDaytonaBLNR
Mark my words. Doesn't matter what you buy. You will end up buying both eventually.
Old 30 December 2015, 11:35 AM   #72
CRM114
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMTs,1803, 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiaan7 View Post
I have been look for the right rolex now for a while now and narrowed it down to these two watches.The last few weeks have been difficult,one week blnr,next week sub.Both sits great on my wrist in different ways.For now its a tie,but I can only choose one now.
So im now asking you to tell me which one is your fav and one and why?
This would be my first watch,but not the last one.There will be always "the first one". Thanks for all the help guys.
The rolex way.
Easy choice for me; BLNR. I've owned GMTs for decades, 1675s onward, and it's a great, beautiful addition to this iconic model that adds a new color combo to the bi-colored bezel theme that has been part of it's signature for 60 years alongside the Coke and Root beer versions. It's got the splash of color and bit of flash GMTs are known for, although less if you compare it to some versions (like any BLRO on a Jubilee) but more compared to others (say, an older LN with brushed oyster). Rolex nailed it with the BLNR and the Easy-link bracelet is great KISS engineering.

GMT's I favor over Subs in general, and always have because there's a functional and emotional tie-in with flying. It's what I do, and have always wanted to do. My childhood heroes were real-life test pilots and astronauts rather than fictional movie spies, and when I grew up Rolex's pilot watch was the shoo-in choice in the looks and functionality department. Rolex GMTs and Speedy Pros were easily the favoured watches in my peer group. In comparison, Submariners weren't even on the radar.

Subs are Ok obviously and some like their plainer looks, but since I don't dive the extra WR rating for me over a GMT's already-great WR rating is entirely pointless, and if I wanted something more understated I'd re-aquire a GMT LN since not only is it more functional for me but doesn't have the big, blocky case the new Submariners have. GMT cases grew too but thankfully they didn't go that far overboard (this is my personal taste, opinions may vary).

IMO, you can't go wrong with the BLNR (or any GMT) as your first Rolex. I own other Rolex GMTs (and Speedys, JLCs, Zeniths, and other brands) but my BLNR has become my everyday work watch, globe-trotting and doing it's job beautifully for over 18 months now, shrugging-off the knocks about the cockpit and elsewhere along the way. I'm admittedly biased towards GMTs but the BLNR was earned it's place even amongst those.
CRM114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 06:49 AM   #73
Aces Full
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blue Sky-Dweller
I went in to buy the BLNR, and walked out with the Explorer II.....too much bling on the BLNR....but that's what makes horseracing.
Aces Full is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 06:59 AM   #74
Sarosh
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I've got my deposit and name down for a Sub date from a UK AD who I've known for some time, coincidently the AD manager used to be my neighbour when I worked in the midlands!! Result! They reckon they can get me a Sub by latest end of October this year. No hurry as it's better than the crap I've been quoted For wait times in London.

As someone already said above - you're bound to get both eventually. But for now the type of job I have, Sub with the glidelock and the all brushed bracelet is the most practical. But will get a GMT LN eventually.....!
Sarosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 07:00 AM   #75
fendering88
"TRF" Member

Sub for me.
fendering88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 07:51 AM   #76
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Quote:
Wow, someone is a bit jealous...lol

I wish the BLNR didn't have PCL's but I'd pick the BLNR over the Sub every day of the week, twice on Sundays. As iconic as the Sub is, the BLNR is just better in every way IMO (outside of the PCL's). Of course, everyone has an opinion....

116710er is offline   Reply With Quote