The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 3 May 2017, 12:45 PM   #1
ND1997
"TRF" Member

Please explain Rolex warranty to me

Hi all,

I've noticed that in the for sale section of TRF, many of the sellers mention that watch so and so has 2 yrs of warranty left or 5 yrs left etc. My question is: if the seller bought it and filled out the paperwork in their name and I'm the second owner, will the balance of the warranty still be valid for me?

Thanks in advance
ND1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2017, 12:49 PM   #2
Max-M
"TRF" Member

I think the warranty follows the watch not the owner, it goes by serial number and date of purchase if I'm not mistaken.
Max-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2017, 01:33 PM   #3
kdphan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Fitbit
Warranty follows the watch, not original owner.
kdphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2017, 03:54 PM   #4
bobby81
"TRF" Member

Yes I had the same question some time ago & once the Warranty Card is stamped signed & dated by a Rolex AD it's valid to whoever has the watch the Warranty Card follows the Watch not the person though Rolex were thinking of adding an address but there was so much opposition to that idea that they scrapped it
bobby81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2017, 03:58 PM   #5
brettpaul
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex and AP
Warranty follows the watch and goes by the actual date of purchase - nothing to do with the serial.
Old 3 May 2017, 09:37 PM   #6
mjclark32
"TRF" Member

Watch: IWC, Rolex, AP
Yes. You'll have the remainder of the warranty.
Old 3 May 2017, 09:48 PM   #7
slide13
"TRF" Member

It really makes sense for Rolex to keep it this way. I would guess the number of warranty claims is fairly small relative to watches sold and I'd also guess most of them end up being not much more than a simple regulation. Costly warranty service would be very rare I'd think. So, buy letting the warranty transfer it doesn't cost Rolex a ton but it helps keep up the thriving secondary market and helps new pieces retain a huge percentage of their original purchase price on resale compared to most goods. A thriving secondary market helps sell watches as people know that having a Rolex it's usually pretty easy to turn that back into cash during an emergency.
slide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2017, 06:25 AM   #8
larrys
"TRF" Member

Just called Rolex. As long as you have the card with time left on it, and a letter of sale from the previous owner, you're golden.
larrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2017, 11:44 AM   #9
ND1997
"TRF" Member

Thank you everyone for answering my question.
ND1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2017, 12:03 PM   #10
Bluside
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys View Post
Just called Rolex. As long as you have the card with time left on it, and a letter of sale from the previous owner, you're golden.
I called NY RSC, and they told me the same thing. You need a letter from the previous owner to transfer the warranty.

I also called the RSC in Dallas. They did not mention anything about a letter, just the warranty card.

Go figure.
Bluside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 May 2017, 12:16 PM   #11
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Same as a car. Just make sure prior owner didn't void warranty by doing something to the watch.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 10:23 AM   #12
Watchgeek5000
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
So it's possible you may need a letter from the original owner along with the warranty???
How many dealers selling pre owned Rolex's are going to have that? So much for the warranty being transferable in NYC.
Watchgeek5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 11:19 AM   #13
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchgeek5000 View Post
So it's possible you may need a letter from the original owner along with the warranty???
How many dealers selling pre owned Rolex's are going to have that? So much for the warranty being transferable in NYC.
Just send it to Dallas.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 24 July 2017, 11:51 AM   #14
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I called NY RSC, and they told me the same thing. You need a letter from the previous owner to transfer the warranty.

I also called the RSC in Dallas. They did not mention anything about a letter, just the warranty card.

Go figure.
As of about a year and a half ago, I report the same info, although I don't think it was an issue with a watch originating within the US. They gave me a problem with a foreign AD Stamped card.

Either way this info is typically not welcomed here. Many will say the warranty follows the watch no matter what. At least here in NY it's not as simple as that.
Chadridv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 11:52 AM   #15
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
As of about a year and a half ago, I report the same info, although I don't think it was an issue with a watch originating within the US. They gave me a problem with a foreign AD Stamped card.

Either way this info is typically not welcomed here. Many will say the warranty follows the watch no matter what. At least here in NY it's not as simple as that.
Why are new Yorkers so difficult

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 24 July 2017, 11:54 AM   #16
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Why are new Yorkers so difficult
Haha always on guard in NY.
Old 24 July 2017, 05:15 PM   #17
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys View Post
You do not need any sort of letter as long as the warranty has been authorised by any AD world wide.Many watches are bought as presents so the name on the warranty is not always the owner of the watches name.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 July 2017, 09:30 PM   #18
Rlxlvr1
"TRF" Member

I don't get the worry of warranty. Warranty items covered are so rare to go wrong that 10/10 you will have to pay to service your watch and regulating can be done by any independent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rlxlvr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 12:54 AM   #19
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko's
Crazy how NY RSC has a different way of doing things then RSC of Texas. Makes no sense at all.
toxicavenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 12:59 AM   #20
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlxlvr1 View Post
I don't get the worry of warranty. Warranty items covered are so rare to go wrong that 10/10 you will have to pay to service your watch and regulating can be done by any independent.

What makes you think they are 'rare'? Rolex watches are sent in everyday for warranty work just like any other watch.
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 01:10 AM   #21
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post
What makes you think they are 'rare'? Rolex watches are sent in everyday for warranty work just like any other watch.
Hahaha so true. What is this guy talking about?
Old 25 July 2017, 01:39 AM   #22
peterskinner
"TRF" Member

What strikes me is that Rolex paperwork, including the guarantee, never says the guarantee is transferable. And now they require a letter from the first owner ? It's not ideal.
peterskinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 01:54 AM   #23
Rlxlvr1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelodonnell123 View Post

Only manufacturing issues are fixed under warranty right??? Everything else you have to pay for, so why worry if it's under warranty or not? You end up paying anyway. It's not like Rolex will decline to fix the watch if you pay.

Old 25 July 2017, 01:57 AM   #24
Rlxlvr1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicavenger View Post
Hahaha so true. What is this guy talking about?

Hmmm!?!?! You run a business right? Common sense would dictate to keep comments like this to a minimum.

Old 25 July 2017, 02:00 AM   #25
Chadridv
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
You do not need any sort of letter as long as the warranty has been authorised by any AD world wide.Many watches are bought as presents so the name on the warranty is not always the owner of the watches name.
you can say this as a matter of fact all you want, but in actuality Rolex Service Center in NYC told me straight up, my warranty was not valid without the bill of sale (letter) from the previous owner. Apparently several others have received the same information.

This debate has been going on since I've been a member here, and I can't for the life of me understand why so many still argue this. It's not up for arguing, this isn't my opinion, these are the facts based on my experience there.
Old 25 July 2017, 02:20 AM   #26
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadridv View Post
you can say this as a matter of fact all you want, but in actuality Rolex Service Center in NYC told me straight up, my warranty was not valid without the bill of sale (letter) from the previous owner. Apparently several others have received the same information.

This debate has been going on since I've been a member here, and I can't for the life of me understand why so many still argue this. It's not up for arguing, this isn't my opinion, these are the facts based on my experience there.

Chad isnt making this up - Its 100% accurate.

NY RSC has said this to me 3 different times. Even AFTER I escalated the issue with mgmt all three times and received the service I was (rightfully/LAWFULLY) due - LOL. NY likes to fabricate their 'own rules'. Its yet another reason (although not even close to the major reason) why they are horrible to deal with and why I avoid them at all costs.
handsfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 02:25 AM   #27
melrob1
"TRF" Member

Warranty follows the watch as long as AD name stamped and the owner has the card and it's within the warranty period. Cool consumer is protected by a little law called he Magnuson Moss Act. This type of item can be sold at anytime from the original purchaser and still be covered
melrob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 03:42 AM   #28
bcmind
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
This makes total sense

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
bcmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 July 2017, 04:44 AM   #29
toxicavenger
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlxlvr1 View Post
Hmmm!?!?! You run a business right? Common sense would dictate to keep comments like this to a minimum.

Old 25 July 2017, 05:18 AM   #30
Bob the brush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 Explorer.
I bought a pre owned watch in February, with 13 months of the service warranty left to run, I had problems with the watch and last Monday I took it to my AD, no problems, they took a photo copy of my warranty card, checked the serial number matched the watch, and arranged and are putting in a warranty claim for me. Whilst there I asked about Air King, they didn't have one, but I got a call from them today, they have one and it's mine if I want it, they are going to hold it for me till Saturday. It's going to be a long week!
Bob the brush is offline   Reply With Quote