The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 May 2017, 11:56 PM   #1
theandaman
"TRF" Member

Day-Date development milestones

Hey all

I'm very interested in acquiring a white Day Date on the President bracelet and was looking around for a resource that could help me identify the major milestones in the development of this reference. I am particularly interested in a 36mm white gold president bracelet but I'd really like to know more to help me formalise my decision. Of particular interest are the milestones relating to the movement and bracelet but any other information would be great.

If a resource already exist, please can you let me know where - my noob searching hasn't revealed it.

Thank in advance.
theandaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2017, 11:58 PM   #2
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
from, https://beckertime.com/history-of-the-rolex-day-date/

1956 Rolex introduces the 6511 Day-Date.
1957 Rolex replaces the 6511 with the externally identical 6611 featuring the new Rolex Caliber 1055.
1958 Rolex introduces the Day-Date reference 1803.
1969 Rolex introduces an integrated “concealed clasp” into the President bracelet.
1972 Rolex adds the “hack” second hand feature to the Day-Date which allows the user to stop the second hand when the crown is fully extended.
1978 Rolex adds the “quick set” date function as well as the sapphire crystal with model reference 18038.
1990 Rolex adds the “Double Quick-Set” feature to the Rolex Day-Date with the model 18238.
1996 Rolex introduces the Day-Date reference 11823(x).
2000 olex improves the President bracelet with solid links, making it much heavier and less prone to “bracelet stretch” seen in pre-2000 Day-Date models with hollow link bracelets. Rose gold returns as an option for the Day-Date, and a domed sapphire crystal is also introduced.
2008 Rolex debuts the Day Date II (a larger version of the classic Day Date) for the 100 year anniversary.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 12:04 AM   #3
theandaman
"TRF" Member

That's great Eliot, thank you
Old 18 May 2017, 12:04 AM   #4
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

^^ Nice. But, the site needs to be updated with the DD40 from 2015.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 12:09 AM   #5
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
^^ Nice. But, the site needs to be updated with the DD40 from 2015.
agree but he asked for 36 MM models so i thought it was substantial enough

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 18 May 2017, 12:09 AM   #6
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theandaman View Post
That's great Eliot, thank you
yw

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 18 May 2017, 01:00 AM   #7
rickyslam
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk, DaytonaC, DJ
I'm guessing on this but I think 2000 (P Serial) was also the year that they polished the lugs. Correct me if I'm wrong.
rickyslam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 03:28 AM   #8
Eric Chan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day-Date 118238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post

1957 Rolex replaces the 6511 with the externally identical 6611 featuring the new Rolex Caliber 1055.
1969 Rolex introduces an integrated “concealed clasp” into the President bracelet.
1972 Rolex adds the “hack” second hand feature to the Day-Date which allows the user to stop the second hand when the crown is fully extended.
1978 Rolex adds the “quick set” date function as well as the sapphire crystal with model reference 18038.
1990 Rolex adds the “Double Quick-Set” feature to the Rolex Day-Date with the model 18238.
2000 olex improves the President bracelet with solid links, making it much heavier and less prone to “bracelet stretch” seen in pre-2000 Day-Date models with hollow link bracelets. Rose gold returns as an option for the Day-Date, and a domed sapphire crystal is also introduced.
2008 Rolex debuts the Day Date II (a larger version of the classic Day Date) for the 100 year anniversary.
Old 18 May 2017, 08:38 AM   #9
THC
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16610M
Wow, very well done Eliot.. awesome post

ERIC !!! good to see you posting my friend. Hope all is well, my BC friend
THC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 09:10 AM   #10
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyslam View Post
I'm guessing on this but I think 2000 (P Serial) was also the year that they polished the lugs. Correct me if I'm wrong.
If not mistaken polished lugs started with 1182XX models, older reference was brushed.
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 09:59 AM   #11
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THC View Post
Wow, very well done Eliot.. awesome post

ERIC !!! good to see you posting my friend. Hope all is well, my BC friend
Ty.

25 or 6 to 4.
Old 18 May 2017, 10:37 AM   #12
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Also a worth while read is the following: http://www.rolexmagazine.com/2008/07...nt-part-1.html

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 11:02 AM   #13
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogwldFLTR View Post
Also a worth while read is the following: http://www.rolexmagazine.com/2008/07...nt-part-1.html

Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.470.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 01:09 PM   #14
Bigsykedaddy
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc | SubC
I have been looking around for a Day Date for the last few months (I am most likely going to wait for my 40th birthday to pull the trigger, but I've been researching none the less.) I asked a question about the ceramic pins and the quickset information and a kind member gave me a lot of good info I'll pass onto you in case you find any of it helpful.

I believe it was from @gossbeau

1) I believe the ceramic sleeves are only found on the 228238 model which is the day date 40mm that came out in 2015. As for the 36mm 118238 that came out after Basel 2015 I doubt they use ceramic sleeves for the bracelet. Then again I might be wrong. They might have implemented that post 2015 on all Day Dates.

2) 18238 and 118238 are both double quick set. The previous model 10838 is single quick set. The difference between 18238 and 118238 is the solid links which add around 25 to 30% more weight. Since it is gold, it is more dough lol! Also the 118238 seems to have the end-links that come flushed against the case as opposed to the 18238 where slight gaps sometimes "could" be found. This gives it a neater finish. You could find a decent 18238 for high 10 but definitely not a decent 118238 that will set you at minimum low 13. But hey, both are double quick set minus the heft.
I would definitely save up more and get the 118238 as they still make it today. For 13'gs you can ball like if you spent 35 for the newer models which are identical and that no one would ever be able to tell them apart.

3) Besides the stretch, make sure the bezel is not over polished as well as the lugs. The fluted bezel has edges too a little bit like waves and those must be sharp enough to reflect the light nicely. With gold you must be more careful as there is only so many polishes you can do before it loses the lines and angles. But as you said, the most important is the president bracelet. Find one with the minimum stretch and also make sure the center links don't have big gaps between them. I have seen examples where the bracelet held horizontal when held by the case but then had big gaps between the center links. You don t want that as it will show too much of your skin/hair.

Happy hunting!!

One more thing, if you were to purchase a Day Date in mint condition and want to keep it that way, I would suggest you to clean it every day with a little bit of soap and water. Especially the bracelet that you want to keep fresh and clean. The stretch occurs when dirt, perspiration and grime get into the links and act like sand paper which,after a while will enlarge the pin holes and wear the pins which, in consequence, will make the bracelet floppy. A president bracelet is far from cheap so look after it before it is too late.
Bigsykedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 01:26 PM   #15
JohnnyCocktails
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680-8 / 1016
Wow! Excellent info...Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post

JohnnyCocktails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 10:06 PM   #16
theandaman
"TRF" Member

Top quality information from everyone, thank you all for taking the time.

Can anyone enlighten me further on development milestones in relation to the movement?

My current thinking is for a 118239 (WG) as it has the solid president bracelet, so particularly interested in any developments/changes in the movement for that reference.
Old 18 May 2017, 10:08 PM   #17
theandaman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsykedaddy View Post
I have been looking around for a Day Date for the last few months (I am most likely going to wait for my 40th birthday to pull the trigger, but I've been researching none the less.) I asked a question about the ceramic pins and the quickset information and a kind member gave me a lot of good info I'll pass onto you in case you find any of it helpful.

I believe it was from @gossbeau

1) I believe the ceramic sleeves are only found on the 228238 model which is the day date 40mm that came out in 2015. As for the 36mm 118238 that came out after Basel 2015 I doubt they use ceramic sleeves for the bracelet. Then again I might be wrong. They might have implemented that post 2015 on all Day Dates.

2) 18238 and 118238 are both double quick set. The previous model 10838 is single quick set. The difference between 18238 and 118238 is the solid links which add around 25 to 30% more weight. Since it is gold, it is more dough lol! Also the 118238 seems to have the end-links that come flushed against the case as opposed to the 18238 where slight gaps sometimes "could" be found. This gives it a neater finish. You could find a decent 18238 for high 10 but definitely not a decent 118238 that will set you at minimum low 13. But hey, both are double quick set minus the heft.
I would definitely save up more and get the 118238 as they still make it today. For 13'gs you can ball like if you spent 35 for the newer models which are identical and that no one would ever be able to tell them apart.

3) Besides the stretch, make sure the bezel is not over polished as well as the lugs. The fluted bezel has edges too a little bit like waves and those must be sharp enough to reflect the light nicely. With gold you must be more careful as there is only so many polishes you can do before it loses the lines and angles. But as you said, the most important is the president bracelet. Find one with the minimum stretch and also make sure the center links don't have big gaps between them. I have seen examples where the bracelet held horizontal when held by the case but then had big gaps between the center links. You don t want that as it will show too much of your skin/hair.

Happy hunting!!

One more thing, if you were to purchase a Day Date in mint condition and want to keep it that way, I would suggest you to clean it every day with a little bit of soap and water. Especially the bracelet that you want to keep fresh and clean. The stretch occurs when dirt, perspiration and grime get into the links and act like sand paper which,after a while will enlarge the pin holes and wear the pins which, in consequence, will make the bracelet floppy. A president bracelet is far from cheap so look after it before it is too late.
Very interesting info, thanks. If you see a good 118239 white gold on your travels let me know! UK-based here but travel far and often.
Old 25 July 2017, 09:55 AM   #18
returntorolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jackie Stewart DD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theandaman View Post
Hey all

I'm very interested in acquiring a white Day Date on the President bracelet and was looking around for a resource that could help me identify the major milestones in the development of this reference. I am particularly interested in a 36mm white gold president bracelet but I'd really like to know more to help me formalise my decision. Of particular interest are the milestones relating to the movement and bracelet but any other information would be great.

If a resource already exist, please can you let me know where - my noob searching hasn't revealed it.

Thank in advance.
Blue Parachrom hairspring was introduced to the 3155 (am uncertain of the exact year, but would guess around the same time rehaut was introduced.)

I think the other posters have hit many/most of the other highlights for the 36mm DD. If your looking for the latest, you'll want:

6 digit model number (118239)
Random serial (or very late serial)
Rehaut
Etched crown on crystal
"Fat" buckle with flush/solid end links and bracelet center links

Best of luck in your search! I have this reference and happy help!