The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 October 2018, 07:21 AM   #61
DRKBC
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by IR201 View Post
Thanks for the helpful replies. I should provide context.

I recently got the ceramic sub date but have not worn publicly yet...this is partly because (as I posted previously) I am not sure if I prefer the no date (and I want to keep my watch it in great condition in case I trade). I also have no idea what to expect if wear it. I don't want a lot of attention from it (judgey glances, envious eyes, etc.).

I realize it is stupid to have a sub c and not want attention! But I love the watch (more than all the other options out there, which i know well) and don't want to not wear something i love because i can't handle attention or perceived from it. i think this issue is why i have been thinking of the no date, because in my head i could have the best of both worlds - the sub i love plus a more low key/under the radar. BUT i wanted to fact check this assumption based on your experiences. That is, if noticability is the primary driver of my wanting to trade, and if differences in noticability between the date and no date are largely a myth, then i'd rather save my money and just get over it.
I don't think that Date or ND is going to make any difference in terms of going unnoticed. I think the sub because of the satin finish Oyster bracelet flys under the radar more so than a watch with PCL's or a Datejust with a jubilee bracelet and a fluted bezel etc. The date alone does not make an in the radar watch, unless someone is actually looking for it.

If you prefer the ND over the date and you decide to move the date model along, you won't lose. There are lots of people that much prefer (and will pay a little more for) the date model. I like the ND but the date is handy feature you may grow to love.
DRKBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 07:22 AM   #62
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
114060 does not. Too much reflection of light.

5512/5513/14060/14060M does, even more so on a nato.

My wife thinks my shiniest diver is often the Sub. She notices everything but my shiniest is my seiko.
Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 08:28 AM   #63
Luap1976
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610lnBBetaBBhar
Quote:
Originally Posted by huncho View Post
wearing a rolex isn't like driving a lambo. all eyes won't be on you and 99% of people don't look at people's wrists. you'd get more attention wearing gucci sneakers

agreed
This is what I said
Luap1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 11:23 AM   #64
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

ND Sub definitely flew under the radar when I used to own it. IMO, the cyclops is the easiest determination that it's a Rolex. Then the oyster bracelet. The ND Sub without the cyclops is definitely not as recognizable as a Sub Date, but that's not necessarily a bad thing either.
Old 21 October 2018, 11:30 AM   #65
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
I felt the same way worrying about my first Rolex. Years later and an assortment of different pieces (Pepsi, Hulk, SD43, Daytona, and more) which are louder or colorful, they don’t get attention or noticed. Strap that 116610 on your wrist and go enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 11:48 AM   #66
Gotgolf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116520
No one look at your wrist and notice what you’re wearing. Only wis people like us notice it.
Gotgolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 01:20 PM   #67
ahlee00023
"TRF" Member

Yes

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 21 October 2018, 02:56 PM   #68
Kyle3130
"TRF" Member

Watch: FXD
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Submariner.

Submariner Date.

No such model as the “no date”.
X2 My biggest pet peeve on here!
Old 21 October 2018, 05:49 PM   #69
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesharkfactor View Post
my freshly Cape Cod clothed 116613LB lit
Please don't use cape cod on any watch. Ever.

I've used the product before on other products and I would never use it on a (expensive) watch.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 06:09 PM   #70
Dilemma
"TRF" Member

I have a non-date two liner. I honestly have no interest into the date version. I shouldn’t say I have *no* interest in one, but it’s at the bottom of my ‘Watches I gots to get’ list.

Nobody notices watches anyway. At least that’s what I’ve found. <shrug>
Dilemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 07:53 PM   #71
thesharkfactor
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
Please don't use cape cod on any watch. Ever.

I've used the product before on other products and I would never use it on a (expensive) watch.
I beg to differ because I know 'how' to use it. I have seen some folks polish the brushed finish off a watch though, this is probably what you are referring too (as it does no harm to polished surfaces).

It is the 2nd anniversary this weekend, I bought my watch new in October '16. Every 6 months I will polish the PCL and other polished parts (masking off the brushed bits)..it's just good maintenance and looking after the things you care about. It looks great!
thesharkfactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 07:55 PM   #72
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Saying anything or noticing, very different. Not many will say anything but many will 'notice' a nice watch (whether they know what it is or not is another subject).
Today I was in a fast food burger restaurant, when I pulled up my sleeve to check the time and my freshly Cape Cod clothed 116613LB lit the place up like Marsellus Wallace's briefcase (), I saw a few folks 'notice'.. so much so that I put my sleeve down again.. nobody said anything though..
exactly... they notice. When you have a piece of salad stuck in your teeth after lunch everyone notices, and no one says anything. You then look like an idiot until you look in the mirror and see for yourself. If you rationalize it by saying no one said anything so no one saw, you are kidding yourself.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 08:03 PM   #73
Brew
"TRF" Member

If I hold my wrist up high, no one notices that my fly is down, right? But do I then risk them seeing the stuck salad from lunch?

This watch stuff is hard.
Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 10:23 PM   #74
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
No Submariner does. Not to anyone who recognizes a Rolex. Same goes for a DJ or DD.
Old 21 October 2018, 11:25 PM   #75
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
I currently have a no date sub and it is my preference. Why does anybody need to know the date when diving? Plus, the date and cyclops really screw up of the symmetry of the dial to me. But, that is just me, clearly, the overwhelming preference is for a date function on most any watch. Many people today primarily use their watch for the date as the time is virtually everywhere.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 11:38 PM   #76
MCO1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona C white
This may echo others, if they know nice watches they will notice regardless of date or w/out date. If they don't know watches they couldn't tell the difference between a Sub and homage. I always wonder how many actually notice that we don't notice notice, rarely does anyone ever comment.
MCO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 11:43 PM   #77
avega357
Banned

Watch: Rolex GMT's BLNR
I feel it is an under the radar piece, but I live in Miami where you see AP an gold ROLEX when you go the the supermarket so it might depend on where you live,

I wear a 5 digit on the weekend and i do not get a second look, I need to wear a 6 digit BLNR to get noticed.
avega357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:36 AM   #78
IR201
"TRF" Member

Well this is interesting because there are obviously different perspectives ranging from of course people notice to no one notices or cares. hard to say either camp is 'right' as experiences/perceptions are likely individual- and context-specific. but i do find it odd that there are such polar opposite opinions on this.

anyway i've decided to just wear what i've got and see what happens for myself. i did take it off the bracelet and put it on a gray suede strap to start out (tried posting a pic but can't' get the size right). wore it last night and then slept in it!

plus i was in a rolex AD the other day not wearing it and the guys there were let's say very unfriendly to me. when i told them i have the sub date and wanted to see the "submariner" they gave me a yeah right you have that watch look and rudely told me i should look at the website if i want to see it. at that moment i kind of wanted something more noticeable!
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:53 AM   #79
blue lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: It's just a watch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBF1911 View Post
Nobody notices your watch, Submariner or not, unless they’re into watches - and you’re not getting under those peoples radar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
blue lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 02:44 AM   #80
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I beg to differ because I know 'how' to use it. I have seen some folks polish the brushed finish off a watch though, this is probably what you are referring too (as it does no harm to polished surfaces).

It is the 2nd anniversary this weekend, I bought my watch new in October '16. Every 6 months I will polish the PCL and other polished parts (masking off the brushed bits)..it's just good maintenance and looking after the things you care about. It looks great!
Sounds like a lot. I just think the watch will be rounded and not tight/crisp if you look at it in x years.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 02:49 AM   #81
DramaTurtle
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer
Does the no date sub actually fly under the radar?

Those who think no one notices: please get a reality check.

First impression judgments are made by any and all and part of that includes visual analysis. No one will say anything, but they notice, and their actions toward you will reflect in whatever manner they deem appropriate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex moved to its furthest point of being a tool watch. The new Sea-Dweller and Meteorite GMT seem best suited for raising PGA trophies, and that might be the closest we get to one anyway.
DramaTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 02:56 AM   #82
HogwldFLTR
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: What's on my wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Date or not, a SS sub will never be a flashy noticeable watch, don't worry, just buy it and feel free
The 114060 is infinitely more flashy than the five digit cousin. It's the ceramic bezel that makes it shiny as opposed to the older aluminum inserts. The larger foot print makes gives it greater wrist present as well. In comparison the 116600 is much less flashy. The 360 degree seconds markings on the ceramic break up/reduce its sparkle.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=808599
HogwldFLTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 03:07 AM   #83
Finslayer83
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600
Might as well be a stealth.

No one suspects a Rolex on a strap.

Finslayer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 03:09 AM   #84
Banned

Been wearing one for 4 years now and I think it really does. Every couple months someone notices

997.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 03:27 AM   #85
Bigblu10
Banned

Quote:
Well this is interesting because there are obviously different perspectives ranging from of course people notice to no one notices or cares. hard to say either camp is 'right' as experiences/perceptions are likely individual- and context-specific. but i do find it odd that there are such polar opposite opinions on this.

anyway i've decided to just wear what i've got and see what happens for myself. i did take it off the bracelet and put it on a gray suede strap to start out (tried posting a pic but can't' get the size right). wore it last night and then slept in it!

plus i was in a rolex AD the other day not wearing it and the guys there were let's say very unfriendly to me. when i told them i have the sub date and wanted to see the "submariner" they gave me a yeah right you have that watch look and rudely told me i should look at the website if i want to see it. at that moment i kind of wanted something more noticeable!
I have 2 questions. 1. What is your age range? 20s,30s,40s etc. 2. Do you live in NYC? I can tell you as a person in my mid 50's who has had one Rolex or another on my wrist since my early 20s, NOBODY CARES. Especially in this day of mobile phones that 99% of people have their face buried in! If you are in NYC, don't worry. You are one of 10 million other residents there and there are plenty of folks wearing Subs there. Get over your "watch attention" paranoia! If you cannot, perhaps wearing a Rolex will make your life unhappy instead of bringing you happiness which is what a nice timepiece should do.
Bigblu10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 04:03 AM   #86
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaTurtle View Post
Those who think no one notices: please get a reality check.

First impression judgments are made by any and all and part of that includes visual analysis. No one will say anything, but they notice, and their actions toward you will reflect in whatever manner they deem appropriate.
People do make decisions based on first impressions, yes. That might include, for some people, whether a person's watch or shoes goes with the rest of their outfit, or (if they are a WIS), what brand is the watch and is it a crass design or obvious fake.

There are billions of people on the planet. There are millions of people who own Rolexes or other 'prestige' brands. There are thousands of people who care enough about watches to join an online forum and cheer on the other people who enjoy them too. In normal society the proportion of people who will notice what you are wearing, and know what it is, and care, and judge you for it, is pretty low.

If you don't like being silently judged for what's in your wrist, don't wear a $5-10k watch while helping out at a homeless shelter and maybe likewise don't pick the most popular model of Rolex when trying to differentiate yourself from the crowd of other hopeful juniors in your investment bank. For the 99% of normal people, wear what you like.

The people who notice what it is, won't judge you negatively for a Sub (date or not). As someone said, it's not like driving up in a Lambo, where the outrageous styling or loud noise causes everyone to pre-judge you.

Quote:
Some people are naturally self absorbed in their own hobby or passion (watch collecting) , especially on the forum that they joined for that special interest, that of course they think "of course people notice".

Others recognise that most people on the planet don't have that special interest; to most of society it is just about looking stylish or unstylish, and the exact brand name in which you try to do that can't easily be read upside down from a few yards away.

Actually to most people it is not about stylish or unstylish but whether or not you're a good human being; that's more my mindset. But it's naive to think that nobody cares about what you're wearing period. Impressions do count because you can't evaluate whether someone's a good human being in five seconds, but you can evaluate whether they're dressed like they have a clue.

Quote:
Wearing what you've got the way *you* like, is the way to go.

Personally, I don't have a Sub With Date, because I don't like the Cyclops, but I do like having a date so o don't have a Sub No Date either: I like the general style and appreciate the brand history / engineering competence, so I have a Seadweller, from before they added the Cyclops to it as a 50th anniversary edition. But I didn't pick it because of how other people perceive a date, no date etc. Because of what *I* like.
Quote:
I can see how you would feel bad after that encounter. But remember, how you are treated by a gang of watch salesman (who depend on using snap decisions and gross generalisations on people to make the decisions on what customers to chase for commission)... it's not how the general public will perceive you.

If you ask the general public who they trust and respect, you can be pretty damn sure it's not going to be watch salesmen, car salesmen, insurance salesmen. The general public knows or suspects that those people are judgemental d1cks, who are out for themselves and whose opinions we shouldn't value too greatly

And if I am some kid who goes to the Rolls Royce dealership saying I want a weekend test drive of the $300k flagship but I came by public bus because my Bentley is getting an oil change, I could expect that the salesmen will laugh under his breath and say nothing's available even though I am a potential customer.

So, while we would all like our luxury watch salesmen to pay us respect ahead of a high value watch sale, it's understandable that they won't always do that, and we can pick our dealerships accordingly. But don't let it convince you that you need a popular high value piece on your wrist to get anywhere in life. Nor that a date vs no date matters to 99.5% of people you'll ever meet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblu10 View Post
I can tell you as a person in my mid 50's who has had one Rolex or another on my wrist since my early 20s, NOBODY CARES. Especially in this day of mobile phones that 99% of people have their face buried in! If you are in NYC, don't worry. You are one of 10 million other residents there and there are plenty of folks wearing Subs there. Get over your "watch attention" paranoia! If you cannot, perhaps wearing a Rolex will make your life unhappy instead of bringing you happiness which is what a nice timepiece should do.
This, x2
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 04:05 AM   #87
The Libertine
Banned

Watch: 16710;14060;214270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle3130 View Post
X2 My biggest pet peeve on here!
Thank you! Mine as well.
The Libertine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 04:09 AM   #88
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
The presence of Instagram and the like have made sure no sports Rolex flies under the radar.

The same can be said of sports Patek and AP etc...
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 04:35 AM   #89
dimag333
"TRF" Member

Unless your wearing a bust down Patek they all do

steve
dimag333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 04:38 AM   #90
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Not in my opinion. I would say the Explorer 36mm of mine flies under the radar best.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote