The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 October 2018, 10:14 AM   #1
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
5164 Musings

So I’ve been thinking about this piece for awhile. And I realize I’ll not get it anytime soon from my AD. FWIW, I’m in the camp that is fully okay with paying over MSRP. It bothers me not at all.

Considering my recent happenings I’d for sure need to sell a few to acquire it. My Rolex ad (sorry Rick, I’m just feeling this out) would likely ban me. Which would be bad. I love them.

But I’d have to move my ceramic Pepsi, RG YM and likely one of my Omegas.

My daily’s would then turn into my 5726 (which really could be the one and only), the 5164 and my DJ41. Along with two beater SMP’s.

I do think less is more. And I do appreciate quality over quantity. But I also love the Pepsi and the YM.

I’d also have to pay a premium. Again, I don’t sweat that. Especially as I’d get a premium for my Pepsi.

David had one up for about two days before it was gone. Right now, I’m only wearing my 5726. I feel I’d like to rotate between this and the 64 and the incredible DJ41.

But maybe I’m just so enamored with my new Patek that I want to recreate this felling. Maybe I just want to stop the madness and be done with this crazy hobby.

What says the consensus? Hold off? Or start the process?

And yes, yes...to those (you know who you are) DB’s that say make up your own mind, I can do that. And ultimately I will. But that’s what a forum is for. To get thoughts.

And I’d appreciate all of yours.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 10:20 AM   #2
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
The 5164 is my FAVORITE daily Patek — and it has a useful complication for me — which is how I fell in and out of ‘love’ with all my GMTs — but I (personally) wouldn’t have the need for the 64 and the 67.

I wouldn’t pay over retail either.

Just my .02 brother!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 10:21 AM   #3
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHIII View Post
The 5164 is my FAVORITE daily Patek — and it has a useful complication for me — which is how I fell in and out of ‘love’ with all my GMTs — but I (personally) wouldn’t have the need for the 64 and the 67.

I wouldn’t pay over retail either.

Just my .02 brother!!

Appreciate your thoughts!!

Thank you.

Old 21 October 2018, 10:23 AM   #4
RHIII

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Appreciate your thoughts!!

Thank you.

RHIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 10:25 AM   #5
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
I hope I don't get trolled again.

Talk to watchesandcars95 - Ryan from Miami (search Rolex forums)- he pretty much deals in Pateks. He was selling pre-owned ones for around $33-$34k just a month ago. I think he has TWO on hand right now per his instagram feed. I think you can get one around $35k if you're not looking for ultra-mint or BNIB. That is around retail imho. Quite frankly I'm not sure why everyone wants a perfect one when you can beat it up and then send it in for service and a polish for a grand in a few years if you want to sell.

My 2 cents.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 10:30 AM   #6
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
I hope I don't get trolled again.

Talk to watchesandcars95 - Ryan from Miami (search Rolex forums)- he pretty much deals in Pateks. He was selling pre-owned ones for around $33-$34k just a month ago. I think he has TWO on hand right now per his instagram feed. I think you can get one around $35k if you're not looking for ultra-mint or BNIB. That is around retail imho. Quite frankly I'm not sure why everyone wants a perfect one when you can beat it up and then send it in for service and a polish for a grand in a few years if you want to sell.

My 2 cents.
Agree. Ideally, I’d like it new. Perfect. Ideally.

But my 5726 in a month has a bunch of imperfections. And I love them. Part of me wants to create them on my own. Another part of me would love to save the money.

I’ll look into this. Thanks for the info.

Old 21 October 2018, 10:37 AM   #7
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree. Ideally, I’d like it new. Perfect. Ideally.

But my 5726 in a month has a bunch of imperfections. And I love them. Part of me wants to create them on my own. Another part of me would love to save the money.

I’ll look into this. Thanks for the info.
Unless you can get it from your AD brand new. Its not worth buying BNIB in my opinion with the Aquanauts and Nautiluses - they are scratch magnets and you WILL scratch them. I mean you just bump the damn thing into any metal object and you will likely get a scratch or maybe a ding. That is what servicing after a few years is for : )
Old 21 October 2018, 10:53 AM   #8
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
I would try and get a 5164 at retail - you’ve got a 5726, so maybe your AD can get you a 5164 faster than you think. If not, try some other ADs. Assuming you’ve exhausted all those options then going to the secondary market would seem to be the next step, if you don’t mind paying the premium.

I wouldn’t sell the Pepsi though, or burn your bridges with your Rolex AD. If you have a good relationship with them, if it feels like the 5164 won’t happen, I’d be asking about a 116500.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 11:00 AM   #9
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
I would try and get a 5164 at retail - you’ve got a 5726, so maybe your AD can get you a 5164 faster than you think. If not, try some other ADs. Assuming you’ve exhausted all those options then going to the secondary market would seem to be the next step, if you don’t mind paying the premium.

I wouldn’t sell the Pepsi though, or burn your bridges with your Rolex AD. If you have a good relationship with them, if it feels like the 5164 won’t happen, I’d be asking about a 116500.
Appreciate the feedback.

I’ve no desire for a Daytona. Been there, done that. Beautiful watch, but not for me.

I mostly jest about my relationship with my AD. I imagine it would weather it all just fine. We get along great.

But I’m with you, and hear what you are saying. Even as I debate this, I don’t see myself moving the Pepsi. Ever. And I like the 116655 even more. And I’m grateful for my AD getting me both.

My guess is that all will happen in due time. With the entire collection intact. I’ll debate it, sure. Old habits die hard. But I don’t see myself moving anything else from here on.

Old 21 October 2018, 11:10 AM   #10
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Did you get a discount on the YM? That's a nice watch (speaking from a 5167 lover).
Old 21 October 2018, 11:13 AM   #11
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
I would sit tight and enjoy the 5726 for a while before selling the Pepsi towards a 5164.

I also would think you can get one from your AD in due time. Patience will pay off - it will give you time to decide if it’s the novelty of Patek or if you are in fact “all in” as well as to determine what needs to go if you can’t just add. And, you won’t pay a premium, and you will build more buying history with your AD. All good things!

Patek is a slippery slope. Take your time - you have a beauty on your wrist to help you enjoy the ride!
Old 21 October 2018, 11:23 AM   #12
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearxj86 View Post
Did you get a discount on the YM? That's a nice watch (speaking from a 5167 lover).
They gave me a super discount. I buy a lot from them. I paid less than any gray could sell it for. And I love it. Im also grateful to them. A great AD is an understatement.

Something about the matte and the rg that kills me. I love this watch.

Old 21 October 2018, 11:25 AM   #13
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I would sit tight and enjoy the 5726 for a while before selling the Pepsi towards a 5164.

I also would think you can get one from your AD in due time. Patience will pay off - it will give you time to decide if it’s the novelty of Patek or if you are in fact “all in” as well as to determine what needs to go if you can’t just add. And, you won’t pay a premium, and you will build more buying history with your AD. All good things!

Patek is a slippery slope. Take your time - you have a beauty on your wrist to help you enjoy the ride!
This is super advice, and I take it to heart. I will do my due diligence now, but likely I’ll heed exactly what you say.

Truly, I’m loving my current situation. As you say, no need to rush it. And best, for sure, to feel this all out and then move from there.

Old 21 October 2018, 01:44 PM   #14
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

5164 Musings

This is better than your already fabulous Rolex duo imho. You’ll make it happen. I’d be working those omegas down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 04:24 PM   #15
watchtabs
"TRF" Member

I bought David’s bnib 5164, just received it this morning. I’d sell those Rolexes and do it. Less is more.

watchtabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 05:43 PM   #16
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Isn't the ceramic Pepsi sort of what they call in accounting, a wasting asset since, over time, its value will trend towards list price? Maybe it's only a few thousand dollars but wouldn't it be better to do the trade now and capture that premium?
The RG YM has no premium value in its future but maybe the 5164 does if Patek changes it, raises the list price or cancels production of it.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 05:45 PM   #17
Helmi
"TRF" Member

5164 Musings

Don't sell the Pepsi, it will be hard to replace. Add the 5164, it is fantastic.
Helmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 06:14 PM   #18
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

nope... as much as i love the 5164 i would not move my BLRO and OF yachtmaster for it. no way. You have a nautilus on a strap already and IMO a bi colored ceramic bezel SS piece on a jubilee and a RG ceramic bezel rubber strap watch are a better compliment than another steel bezel patek on a rubber strap.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 06:39 PM   #19
Karbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Dayto/5164
As I dont like any of the recent Rolex Id say go for 5164 !
5164 is for me the best GMT and due to its tropical strap compete easyly with YM for water activities ! Just my opinion
Old 21 October 2018, 07:11 PM   #20
HL65
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: One on my wrist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post

Well said and agree Steve.

SPEM SUCCESSUS ALIT
HL65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 08:37 PM   #21
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
nope... as much as i love the 5164 i would not move my BLRO and OF yachtmaster for it. no way. You have a nautilus on a strap already and IMO a bi colored ceramic bezel SS piece on a jubilee and a RG ceramic bezel rubber strap watch are a better compliment than another steel bezel patek on a rubber strap.
⬆️⬆️⬆️ Read my mind...great advice! Like the 5164, but would not give up those two to get it....especially given your collection.
I’ve been bitten by the PP bug again myself, and am all for adding them to the collection. Not that it’s not a fantastic piece, but I think it’ll be just a bit repetitive with that choice, and sacrificing too much for what you’re getting in return.
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 09:16 PM   #22
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
⬆️⬆️⬆️ Read my mind...great advice! Like the 5164, but would not give up those two to get it....especially given your collection.
I’ve been bitten by the PP bug again myself, and am all for adding them to the collection. Not that it’s not a fantastic piece, but I think it’ll be just a bit repetitive with that choice, and sacrificing too much for what you’re getting in return.
Agree with you guys. And Ken above.

I think it was Saturday night weakness while perusing the forum.

I’ll just keep waiting, and saving while I do. I truly don’t want to move anything. I genuinely love each watch currently sitting in my watch box.

I just can’t seem to put any on, as it’s difficult to get the patek off my wrist.

Old 21 October 2018, 09:20 PM   #23
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Quote:

I’ll just keep waiting, and saving while I do. I truly don’t want to move anything. I genuinely love each watch currently sitting in my watch box.

I just can’t seem to put any on, as it’s difficult to get the patek off my wrist.
I added the 5524r recently, and the 5396R is next on the list. This is a slippery slope
rmlovett1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 09:26 PM   #24
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Id wait...or try to keep the pepsi move other things
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 10:08 PM   #25
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Id wait...or try to keep the pepsi move other things
Moment of insanity. Not going to happen. Appreciate the comment. Agree.

Old 21 October 2018, 10:49 PM   #26
incontrol
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them...
Quote:

I am glad to see you are waiting and saving. As much as I love the 5164, I would be very hard pressed to move some of the watches you were thinking about.

Patience is key. The honeymoon phase is strong with Patek.

Old 21 October 2018, 11:17 PM   #27
vtsnowplow
"TRF" Member

what do you think the wait time at an AD would be?
vtsnowplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 11:17 PM   #28
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtsnowplow View Post
what do you think the wait time at an AD would be?
I’m guessing a very long time. At least a year.

Old 21 October 2018, 11:17 PM   #29
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Just my opinion but I don’t see the Nautilus/Aquanaut situation getting any better in the future. Seems like they are harder to get. Used 5164s are going for retail and new ones above retail.

I would get on a waiting list at your AD. When it arrives then decide.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2018, 11:22 PM   #30
vtsnowplow
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m guessing a very long time. At least a year.
I could do a year. any more than that would be a bit much.
vtsnowplow is offline   Reply With Quote