The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 21 October 2018, 11:58 PM   #31
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipes View Post
Just my opinion but I don’t see the Nautilus/Aquanaut situation getting any better in the future. Seems like they are harder to get. Used 5164s are going for retail and new ones above retail.

I would get on a waiting list at your AD. When it arrives then decide.
All else equal, the premium on the 5164 isn't horrendous right now so it's a "buy" if you like it. At the same time, you do have some nice watches...and there is no harm in just enjoying your collection.

I personally say the Pepsi will come down a few grand more so its the piece I would move.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:49 AM   #32
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I would do it as the 5164 is just about my fave SS. I'd keep the BLRO if you can. Looks like the premium is lower in the US than the UK which is usually where your prices end up going, so unless you can get one from an AD you don't want to wait too long.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 03:14 AM   #33
Dompropat
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
I would definitely go with the 5164, but I'd keep the Pepsi.
Dompropat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 03:21 AM   #34
soundserious
"TRF" Member

How long have you owned the 5726?
Old 22 October 2018, 04:11 AM   #35
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
I really like your collection. You've got some great stuff. You obviously have a theme of rubber strap pieces. Who can blame you, so comfortable and discrete. The 64 is an amazing watch.

I have not had my hands on the new BLRO, but it doesn't sing to me the way it does most. I wouldn't hesitate to move that and the YM for a 5164. Put your name down and your AD, whom you must have a relationship with. Give you some time to think.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 05:22 AM   #36
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Swing by your Patek AD and express interest in the 5164. Tell them how enamored you are with the brand and are willing to wait.

Don’t sell the Pepsi if it will harm your AD relationship. A Rolex AD relationship is extremely valuable.

Alternatively I would not hesitate to move the YM towards a 5164 if you would rather not wait. Pounce on the next mint example that comes up

By the way I am like a broken record but the 5164 is my favorite watch and I think it’s pateks best executed sport piece.
Old 22 October 2018, 06:48 AM   #37
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

I would sell the Rolex's in a heartbeat for it. As for your AD relationship, explain it to them and hopefully they understand. If not, that's their problem in my opinion. They are your watches and your desires have changed, you couldn't have foreseen that (or maybe you could have, haha) and it is what it is. Silly to me that we can't sell what we buy in fear of our AD no longer selling to us. You aren't "flipping" them, you are selling them to buy something else they cannot get for you.

Good luck, you will love the 5164a!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 10:12 AM   #38
toucan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5970
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc2la View Post
I would sit tight and enjoy the 5726 for a while before selling the Pepsi towards a 5164.

I also would think you can get one from your AD in due time. Patience will pay off - it will give you time to decide if it’s the novelty of Patek or if you are in fact “all in” as well as to determine what needs to go if you can’t just add. And, you won’t pay a premium, and you will build more buying history with your AD. All good things!

Patek is a slippery slope. Take your time - you have a beauty on your wrist to help you enjoy the ride!
I couldn’t have said it better! Funny I sold my 5164 and added Pepsi at msrp this week!
Sit tight and enjoy your great watches.
toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2018, 12:49 PM   #39
nyc2la
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16660
Quote:
Originally Posted by toucan View Post
I couldn’t have said it better! Funny I sold my 5164 and added Pepsi at msrp this week!

Sit tight and enjoy your great watches.

Congrats again, my friend! Well done!! ❤️❤️
Old 22 October 2018, 01:14 PM   #40
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Although I'm a fanboy of Patek, I would still pick the BLRO at MSRP over the 5164. However, if the choice is between BLRO and 5990, I would get the 5990.

I do understand OP is a big fan of rubber strap though. Buy what sings to you.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2018, 11:28 PM   #41
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Thanks again everyone for your insights.

I just spoke with my AD. Of course, there is a list that started getting long about a year or so ago.

He confirmed that I am already on it based on a conversation he and I had in the past.

I think gettin rid for the Pepsi and the YM was simply my old self popping through. I've no intention of getting rid of either. Two watches that I love very much.

That said, I still wear basically nothing except the 5726 at this point. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. I am quite happy to sit and wait....and save money.

Thanks again. Have a great day all.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 04:45 AM   #42
R!$
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
My daily’s would then turn into my 5726 (which really could be the one and only), the 5164 and my DJ41. Along with two beater SMP’s.
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 06:21 AM   #43
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks again everyone for your insights.

I just spoke with my AD. Of course, there is a list that started getting long about a year or so ago.

He confirmed that I am already on it based on a conversation he and I had in the past.

I think gettin rid for the Pepsi and the YM was simply my old self popping through. I've no intention of getting rid of either. Two watches that I love very much.

That said, I still wear basically nothing except the 5726 at this point. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. I am quite happy to sit and wait....and save money.

Thanks again. Have a great day all.
Seth, following this thread. FWIW, I follow most of your threads. I just get a crack out of your hot, then cold, then impulse buy type personality. I am very much the same way. The super in-depth Ferrari study, followed by a quick MB purchase was just too perfect.

That being said, the Nautilus and Aquanaut are the only Patek watches that interest me. I would be happy to own either one. However, I would not flip a PepC and YM to fund the purchase.

Question - Will you post a picture of your current collection?
Old 24 October 2018, 09:27 AM   #44
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by encarter13 View Post
Seth, following this thread. FWIW, I follow most of your threads. I just get a crack out of your hot, then cold, then impulse buy type personality. I am very much the same way. The super in-depth Ferrari study, followed by a quick MB purchase was just too perfect.

That being said, the Nautilus and Aquanaut are the only Patek watches that interest me. I would be happy to own either one. However, I would not flip a PepC and YM to fund the purchase.

Question - Will you post a picture of your current collection?
Ha. I’ve been this way my entire life. ADD has got nothing on me. It’s a wild ride, let me tell you. Sounds though like you can relate to some degree.

But truly, it can be exhausting being in my head. Sometimes I feel badly for my wife.

The Ferrari will always be on my mind. Maybe someday. Thankfully I’m super happy with the GTS. I just hit the 1 year anniversary with the RRS and I could not be happier. A few folks took the under in my office and lost decent money.

I’ll post a picture of the collection shortly. Happy to do so.

Old 24 October 2018, 10:08 AM   #45
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

^^^

Here you go. Nothing outrageous. But I love all of these.

I’m giving the blue SMP to my FA tomorrow tho. I love the guy. And I’ll not wear it anytime soon with the new black one I just got. So I’ll have an extra spot for a bit. I do have a super nice blue dial Olympic version speedy on order. It’s not actually for sale in the US, but my boutique pulled some strings. That’ll likely fill that slot for a bit.

I did just give my polar exp 2 to my dad. But I’ll not want that back for as long as possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C6F853BA-DCBC-455F-B19D-1DEAAD84F772.jpeg (131.2 KB, 127 views)

Old 24 October 2018, 10:22 AM   #46
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Nice collection
Old 24 October 2018, 11:14 AM   #47
encarter13
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Ha. I’ve been this way my entire life. ADD has got nothing on me. It’s a wild ride, let me tell you. Sounds though like you can relate to some degree.

But truly, it can be exhausting being in my head. Sometimes I feel badly for my wife.

The Ferrari will always be on my mind. Maybe someday. Thankfully I’m super happy with the GTS. I just hit the 1 year anniversary with the RRS and I could not be happier. A few folks took the under in my office and lost decent money.

I’ll post a picture of the collection shortly. Happy to do so.
I feel ya. My wife says I can come up with the most thought out, rationalized plan for almost anything. It cracks her up because the plan comes together for me in about 5 minutes.

Quote:
^^^

I’m giving the blue SMP to my FA tomorrow tho. I love the guy. And I’ll not wear it anytime soon with the new black one I just got. So I’ll have an extra spot for a bit. I do have a super nice blue dial Olympic version speedy on order. It’s not actually for sale in the US, but my boutique pulled some strings. That’ll likely fill that slot for a bit.

I did just give my polar exp 2 to my dad. But I’ll not want that back for as long as possible.
Great collection! I would miss my ExpII Polar. It is my daily. Really flies under the radar when on the job site.

The YM is just wonderful. I really love that piece. I would happily own on.

The Patek is gorgeous. A little out of my price range though. I would really like to try one on.

Have not seen the Olympic Speedy. I am sure it is nice.
Old 24 October 2018, 12:16 PM   #48
alubin
"TRF" Member

Watch: All please!
Quote:
So I’ve been thinking about this piece for awhile. And I realize I’ll not get it anytime soon from my AD. FWIW, I’m in the camp that is fully okay with paying over MSRP. It bothers me not at all.

Considering my recent happenings I’d for sure need to sell a few to acquire it. My Rolex ad (sorry Rick, I’m just feeling this out) would likely ban me. Which would be bad. I love them.

But I’d have to move my ceramic Pepsi, RG YM and likely one of my Omegas.

My daily’s would then turn into my 5726 (which really could be the one and only), the 5164 and my DJ41. Along with two beater SMP’s.

I do think less is more. And I do appreciate quality over quantity. But I also love the Pepsi and the YM.

I’d also have to pay a premium. Again, I don’t sweat that. Especially as I’d get a premium for my Pepsi.

David had one up for about two days before it was gone. Right now, I’m only wearing my 5726. I feel I’d like to rotate between this and the 64 and the incredible DJ41.

But maybe I’m just so enamored with my new Patek that I want to recreate this felling. Maybe I just want to stop the madness and be done with this crazy hobby.

What says the consensus? Hold off? Or start the process?

And yes, yes...to those (you know who you are) DB’s that say make up your own mind, I can do that. And ultimately I will. But that’s what a forum is for. To get thoughts.

And I’d appreciate all of yours.
definitely get the 5164, the rest will collect dust for a long time, including the nautilus (FLAME AWAY!) . I had 14 pieces when my aquanaut came in and i still wore it daily for almost 6 months, without question my favorite watch. My nautilus doesn't hold a candle to it. Any way to get it without selling either the pepsi or the ym? feel like you'd miss one of those. DM on here or ig if you need some enabling
alubin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 01:16 PM   #49
jcoltrane
"TRF" Member

Quote:
^^^

Sell the 5726, get the 5164, use the DJ41 for suits, enjoy the pepsi once in a blue moon, and you're done. You won't wear any of the other watches at that point, but they do make for nice gifts.
jcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2018, 02:23 PM   #50
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Sell the 5726, get the 5164, use the DJ41 for suits, enjoy the pepsi once in a blue moon, and you're done. You won't wear any of the other watches at that point, but they do make for nice gifts.
I like your thinking but Seth just got the 5726 and seems to really love it and he has a serious omega bromance that’s probably not disappearing overnight!
Old 24 October 2018, 10:07 PM   #51
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
Nice collection
Thank you.

Old 24 October 2018, 10:34 PM   #52
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I like your thinking but Seth just got the 5726 and seems to really love it and he has a serious omega bromance that’s probably not disappearing overnight!
Yeah, so I can certainly relate to this line of thought.

However, the 5726 is likely not going anywhere. Ever. In fact, it is because I like it so much, that I want another Patek. To me, it is nearly the perfect watch. LOVE the moon phase and annual calendar and the aesthetics are perfect for my taste. From the size to the design to the colors, I love everything about it. I even got a black RubberB for it, but won't put it on because I love the contrast of the blue strap with the gray dial.

The somewhat good news (again, I can spin anything...even to myself) is that my architect came back and told me I am facing zoning issues and likely will need a variance to to the garage project I wanted to do. So while that is sad to me on one level...

...it frees up all the cash I set aside for the project.

So I will still have the wait, unless I get impatient and find something gray. However, I still am in the middle of buying a house and a move and I have a wife that is constantly trying to increase her budget for furniture and accouterment and whatnot.

I do not anticipate anything happening quickly. I know, famous last words from me. But truly, I am very content with what I have right now. So likely I will wait and hope I get a lucky call from my AD.

Old 24 October 2018, 11:43 PM   #53
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Just do it.

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 12:16 AM   #54
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Just do it.

Lmao.

Looks super on you. You are not helping.

Or maybe you are!!!

Old 25 October 2018, 12:23 AM   #55
Rolexavidfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
I would go for the 5164a all the time. It’s the best GMT watch in my book. That’s said, I won’t let go of the BLRO SS anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go for the timepiece you love. You will save more. ...
Rolexavidfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 12:26 AM   #56
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
^^^

Damn, scary putting the box on the ledge.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 06:19 AM   #57
descartes
"TRF" Member

I'v been on a list for a 5164 for over a year now. Was originally promised it would be 9 months. Now they are not returning my calls, and there have been at least two different managers during this process. Good way to alienate a customer.

This is Tourneau BTW, not surprisingly.
Old 25 October 2018, 06:35 AM   #58
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
In case you decide to move the Pepsi,... i got 15750 for it in diamond district thsi week. But got lots of quotes at 15-15.5k on 47th.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2018, 08:01 AM   #59
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Seth, I can very much relate to what you're going through. There is a certain PP piece that I really crave, a real game changer for me, and it would be within reach if I sold a good part of my currently 10 watch collection.

The watches I would need to sell vary wildly in price range and are from several different brands (Omega, IWC, Breitling, Panerai and Rolex). Normally, I really like the idea of consolidating to a more HH collection and the whole "less is more" mindset. However, each of those pieces is either a long gone LE or something that took me a long time to find and will likely be impossible to replace bnib (as I like to buy my pieces).

In the end, I have a very similar feeling to yours: I love the Patek model that I'm lusting after, but I also love each of those pieces that would need to be sold, and, ideally, would not want to give any of them up.

So far, my resolve has been to hold on to my collection and enjoy the heck out of it. I still (hopefully) have a long road ahead of me, and it's also great to have something to look forward to achieving in the future, horology wise.

This hobby very often carries an inherent anxiety in the never ending search for the next piece and the perfect collection. Sometimes it's right there in front of you already.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote